Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 27 May 2003, 10:09 (Ref:611267)   #1
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Molson Indy Toronto - In jeopardy?

I guess we have to consider that SARS is back in the limelight for now, and wonder IF CART would cancel the event?

For those of you who aren't in Canada, let me comfort you, in that the US media that I have seen,really is sensationalizing SARS. There hasn't been any new cases of this spreading, except in Hospitals for over two months from now.
Old 27 May 2003, 12:11 (Ref:611357)   #2
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Molson Indy Toronto - In jeopardy?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fogelhund
I guess we have to consider that SARS is back in the limelight for now, and wonder IF CART would cancel the event?

For those of you who aren't in Canada, let me comfort you, in that the US media that I have seen,really is sensationalizing SARS. There hasn't been any new cases of this spreading, except in Hospitals for over two months from now.
On a related note, I see murmurs in the Irish media about asking the Canadian Special Olympics team to stay at home Very unfortunate, and there does seem to be an awful lot of paranoia about...
Old 27 May 2003, 13:12 (Ref:611433)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that's just stupidity, and I can't think of any other word for it. There are a few cases in hospitals, but the health officials are just being extra cautious to make sure that it doesn't get worse. I'm not sure how people translate that into Canadian teams being a risk.

As for Molson Indy, as it is now, it would go ahead as always and be another huge success! (tickets sales are up from last year) I think it would have to get much much worse for Cart to consider cancelling it. Right now, the only things being cancelled here are out of pure paranoia. Indeed, you're much much more likely to be shot in Miami than catch SARS in Toronto.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 May 2003, 14:08 (Ref:611485)   #4
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Jack Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think they will cancel the chances are pretty slim of catching SARS. But i can understand the paranoia when you put that many people in one area. I just got back from Charlotte last night with one of the worst head colds i've ever had. Surprized i wasn't screened at the airport.
Old 27 May 2003, 15:35 (Ref:611551)   #5
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
It is paranoia no doubt. Having said that, so was the original Travel Advisory to Toronto as slapped on by WHO. We are what, a month and a half from the race? It won't take many cases and the WHO will slap another advisory, and then who knows?

I work downtown Toronto, don't have the slightest fear in the world. Yet, concerts are being cancelled, conventions.....
Old 27 May 2003, 15:42 (Ref:611555)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
And everytime anyone gets off of a plane from Toronto with the slightest cough it makes the news, and more people fear the city. The NY Times have done that a number of times, none of the cases were SARS, but that corrections never get published.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 May 2003, 16:12 (Ref:611583)   #7
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm with Jay, that's just stupid. SARS is pretty much a internal hospital issue.

Edit: They're not canceling Jay's games....

Last edited by Snrub; 27 May 2003 at 16:13.
Old 27 May 2003, 17:23 (Ref:611641)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Torontonians, and Ontarians in general, don't seem overly concerned with SARS. And they make up most of the grandstands. So the way I see it, the only way for the race to be cancelled would be if drivers, teams or CART personnel refuse to travel there. My sister was quite annoyed when Elton John cancelled his show just a few weeks ago. Turns out he wanted to play, but the stage crew refused.
Old 27 May 2003, 20:05 (Ref:611762)   #9
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seriously, the chances of catching it are rediculously small, and the chances of dying from it, provided you find a way to catch it, are less than 5%! Give me a freaking break! 2000 people have died from SARS worldwide, and like 15 in Canada/Toronto out of about 6 Billion... Influenza, or the common freaking flu (freaking is not the technical term) kills around 40 000 people annually in THE US ALONE!!! Perhaps we should be banning events from taking place there too. Hey I know, why doesn't everyone just relax and tell the media to get a freaking life!
Old 27 May 2003, 20:47 (Ref:611799)   #10
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the media got a freaking life, they'd all be out of a freaking job.

Last edited by evo; 27 May 2003 at 20:48.
Old 27 May 2003, 20:54 (Ref:611809)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Yeah but, some try to create stories where there are none, rather than just telling the story there is to tell. "Disease spread out of control" sells a lot more papers than "Disease confined to a few hospital wards".
Old 27 May 2003, 20:54 (Ref:611811)   #12
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Yeah, I guess I never freaking thought of that
Old 27 May 2003, 21:28 (Ref:611875)   #13
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?ID=42511
Old 27 May 2003, 21:31 (Ref:611878)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I'm no wrestling fan, but...
(From the article I just linked to...)

The Molson Indy, the Blue Jays and World Wrestling Entertainment will announce Tuesday the offering of a three-for-one admission package to the race, a Jays game and WWE Smackdown! on July 8.
Old 27 May 2003, 22:45 (Ref:611930)   #15
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
The real race fans bought their tickets long ago...
Old 27 May 2003, 23:03 (Ref:611940)   #16
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
So if you're a WWE and a JAYS fan, that's cool. If only I could get a free paddock pass and some Canucks tickets with my Molson Indy tickets.

Last edited by evo; 27 May 2003 at 23:06.
Old 27 May 2003, 23:31 (Ref:611952)   #17
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I find the WWE connection an embarrassment, but possibly the Jays are a worse one.

There is such a small chance of catching SARS in Toronto that nobody should even think about it. As Jay says, you have a much better chance of being shot in Miami (or anywhere in the States) than you have of catching SARS.
Old 28 May 2003, 01:55 (Ref:612005)   #18
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Quote:
Originally posted by evo
If only I could get a free paddock pass and some Canucks tickets with my Molson Indy tickets.
Speaking of Molson Indy Vancouver, I might get a chance to go this year. Where's a good place to sit, and is there a good place to sit with General admission? The paddock pass is a must, I realise that already...
Old 28 May 2003, 06:29 (Ref:612109)   #19
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
Actually, I always get general admission. I've always found that's the best way to watch a road race. Get to see the whole course that way. A couple of cool spots on that course:

1) The support race paddock. You can stand there and watch the cars go round turns 7 and 8. Be sure to watch the drivers working on the wheel in these two turns, especially this year with no traction control. Plus you can check out all the support race cars while you are there.

2) On the inside of turn 9, if you time it right, you can get a photo of cars coming by in turn 9 and heading into the breaking zone for 6.

3) Behind the CART paddock, in the parking lot of GM Place, is a great place to get close to the cars as they go by. Turn 4 should be especially fun to watch this year without traction control.

Other than that, just walk around and see and hear all you can. Bring plenty of film, or a digital camera.
Old 28 May 2003, 13:31 (Ref:612486)   #20
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Yup, General Admissions for Toronto is excellent value too!
Old 28 May 2003, 13:43 (Ref:612499)   #21
billiaml
Racer

United States
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA
billiaml should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Paranoia will destroy ya!" Some '80's rock band said that, didn't they?
Old 28 May 2003, 19:56 (Ref:612830)   #22
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Trying to remember... Was that The Clash?

All it might take is the WHO to label another travel advisory on TO and this race could be in very real jeopardy.

Question: I haven't secured my tix yet. Is the event usually sold-out? In other words, would I still be able to land tix on race weekend, should things work out that I can make it to Toronto? Even a GA ticket would suffice, but a paddock pass is mandatory.
Old 28 May 2003, 20:35 (Ref:612868)   #23
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
You can always get tickets during the weekend, and there are lots of scalpers selling tickets for the race below cost (or so they say). It has a huge walk up crowd though, so it usually looks pretty sold out. That said, if you want a particular grandstand seat you should act now, as the good ones go quick or more likely already taken. But for GA, no worries. I think you can usually get paddock passes there, but you might not want to chance it.
Old 28 May 2003, 21:24 (Ref:612923)   #24
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Thanks, Jay. If I go I'll be showing up Saturday, so from the sounds of it a GA tick should be easy to get. As far as the paddock pass... here's one of those times that I wish I had a credit card! Right now I'm still trying to scam a hospitality ticket, but so far no luck. I'm gonna have to give up on that idea soon. But I really, really wanna go! Haven't been to a race since everything in Michigan got cancelled. (I know I'll get no sympathy from Jordi)
Old 28 May 2003, 21:27 (Ref:612926)   #25
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Also, do you guys usually plan some kind of a 10Tenths get-together?