Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 13 May 2013, 13:12 (Ref:3246727)   #1
MARTINTYMAN
Rookie

MARTINTYMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YOKO A048 - ANY GOOD IN THE WET?

I run a rear engined sports racer (similar to a Sports 2000 type) but 1800cc. Series regs dictate I use tyres off list 1A and currently use Yokohama A048.
Really like them in the dry, but as soon as it gets wet, I am all over the place with the back overtaking the front frequently! Are Yokohama A048 considered OK in the wet - and its just me expecting too much, or is there a better wet tyre I should be using? Wet tyres are "free" in the regs.
Old 13 May 2013, 13:23 (Ref:3246733)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINTYMAN View Post
... or is there a better wet tyre I should be using? Wet tyres are "free" in the regs.
If I'm reading that right your wet tyres don't have to be from list 1a? In that case you'd be far better off using a proper wet racing tyre rather than a 'trackday' tyre like the A048. I'm not sure what size tyres you run but there will doubtless be a choice of wet tyres from the usual selection of manufacturers. A proper set of wets will be light years ahead of the A048's in the wet.
Old 13 May 2013, 13:33 (Ref:3246739)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I have used 048s for years and they are not the best in the wet, George Polley put some extra cuts in some for me that weren't too bad but a proper wet tyre is head and shoulders above anything else as long as it keeps raining !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 May 2013, 12:47 (Ref:3247265)   #4
MARTINTYMAN
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
If I'm reading that right your wet tyres don't have to be from list 1a? In that case you'd be far better off using a proper wet racing tyre rather than a 'trackday' tyre like the A048. I'm not sure what size tyres you run but there will doubtless be a choice of wet tyres from the usual selection of manufacturers. A proper set of wets will be light years ahead of the A048's in the wet.
Thats correct, the wets don't have to be from list 1a. Having read other threads it looks like wets don't last long in damp conditions, so maybe I should be looking for proper racing intermediate tyres. Most of my races are only 15 minutes long, with the occasional 45 minute event.
Old 14 May 2013, 13:11 (Ref:3247281)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Talking of George Polley, he once sold me a set of General Grabbers that were in a word awesome in the wet, I couldnt believe how good they were, wore down bloody quick in the dry though! I have found on my heavy car that the Toyo 888's if it starts raining once hot are not bad at all infact I actually pulled away from the lighter cars that wer all over me in the dry once it started raining when at Croft a while back.
Old 14 May 2013, 17:50 (Ref:3247372)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINTYMAN View Post
Having read other threads it looks like wets don't last long in damp conditions, so maybe I should be looking for proper racing intermediate tyres. Most of my races are only 15 minutes long, with the occasional 45 minute event.
It needs to be properly wet for wets - damp isn't enough (they'll overheat and be useless very quickly), if there's no spray coming up then wets aren't the way to go. Inters are handy but most people seem to have dry and wet tyres rather than plumping for inters - I guess budget is a factor there. If you're using A048's then I'd stick with them for damp and invest in a decent set of full wets for when it's actually bucketing down - as Gordon says a proper set of wets is so much better than anything else when the circuit is awash (the inters won't be anywhere near as effective on a fully wet circuit). Are you allowed to mix the tyre types on the car? So A048's on the rear and wets on the front? I know people mix tyres in some saloon championships.
Old 14 May 2013, 18:27 (Ref:3247398)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anyone got any good palces to get a decent price on semi slicks?
Old 14 May 2013, 22:57 (Ref:3247575)   #8
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Anyone got any good palces to get a decent price on semi slicks?
CSCC members and other competitors / licenceholders get a good price on 048s and 888s at Adams & Page in High Wycombe. Their service is excellent too.
Old 15 May 2013, 00:48 (Ref:3247621)   #9
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And I always thought 48's were crap in the dry but OK in the wet

If you can get A050's over there get some in a super soft for the wet, they will hold on (just) if it dries out. These are the tyre a lot of the "time attack" type guys use in the dry but only for 3 laps. In Medium they are so much better in the dry than A048's as well (grip and life)

Yokohama is our series sponsor so I can't offer advice on anything else than these 2 tyres
Old 15 May 2013, 06:18 (Ref:3247697)   #10
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought A048s were list 1b?
Old 15 May 2013, 12:57 (Ref:3247839)   #11
MARTINTYMAN
Rookie

All interesting stuff guys. Thanks for the info.
Yes the 048s are on List 1b - that was a typo in my initial post. We are allowed tyres off 1a and 1b.
I run 185/50x13 in a lightweight car, so dont have much weight to build heat and often I cant get them upto proper temperature unless its a hot day.
Any advice on a better dry tyre?
Old 15 May 2013, 13:12 (Ref:3247845)   #12
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
You can get softer compound 48s, what pressure are you running them at ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 May 2013, 13:42 (Ref:3248414)   #13
MARTINTYMAN
Rookie

18 PSI FRONT 20 PSI REAR
Old 16 May 2013, 15:17 (Ref:3248443)   #14
GrahamH
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
GrahamH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've run Yoko 048, Toyo 888Rs, and (going back a while) Dunlop D01Js in the wet.

They are all OK at best, and better when relatively new. None of that kind of tyre seems as good in full-on rain as a tyre with substantially more tread.

I've seen some competitors in the series which I race in fit "wets" when necessary, tyres like the Yokohama 021R. That has made a visible difference. I've also seen good results from stepping back to a List 1A tyre (so a road tyre) when the track has standing water.
Old 18 May 2013, 11:27 (Ref:3249330)   #15
Si Frowen
Rookie

England
East Winch, Norfolk
Si Frowen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In terms of wets, your List 1Bs are exactly the same size as Formula Renault fronts - ring around a few of the big teams (Fortec sized) and ask if you can buy some secondhand wets - thats what I did with my Locoblade running similar-sized wheels
Old 18 May 2013, 12:36 (Ref:3249353)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I had the chance to try some "proper" Michelin wets on my car in the p***ing rain once and it was just like I was driving in the dry ! no contest.