Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 12 Sep 2007, 20:07 (Ref:2010453)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Martinez replaces Servia

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62299

For the final grand-slam races at Surfers Paradise and Mexico City.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 20:20 (Ref:2010464)   #2
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62299

For the final grand-slam races at Surfers Paradise and Mexico City.
Duplicated thread
Old 13 Sep 2007, 04:59 (Ref:2010764)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And our Mexican driver finds a seat. Looking foward to what he can do in these final two races. Pity for Servia, who has outdriven Tracy on all accounts this year
Old 13 Sep 2007, 05:57 (Ref:2010777)   #4
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's "buys a seat," isn't it?
Old 13 Sep 2007, 06:38 (Ref:2010810)   #5
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Servia really doesn't deserve to be ousted after the year he's had. To have outperformed Tracy, one of the series supposed top drivers, so consistently all year has been really impressive. If it wern't that Tracy is seen as a permanant fixture in the series I would be quick to replace him, rather than Servia.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 13 Sep 2007, 07:52 (Ref:2010859)   #6
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunate for Servia, but now the Mexicans have atleast one driver to cheer for when the series gets there. From what I remember Martinez were in the running for the second FCR seat at the start of the season, and he's not a bad driver, so it's good to see that he's got a seat. FCR aren't going to ditch Tracy any time soon (maybe they should have let him have a go in a golf cart again), and Servia was a substitute, so I suppose it made sense to replace him instead. As I said, bad for Servia, but good for Martinez and the Mexico City race.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 08:59 (Ref:2010915)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
looking forward to see what he can do.

and hopefully it leads to a permanent ride next year
Old 13 Sep 2007, 17:58 (Ref:2011539)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was on the cards from the beginning Martinez was going to at least drive in Mexico. Servia can't complain as he got a good chance to keep his career going.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 09:29 (Ref:2012414)   #9
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
and what was oriol's response to this
Old 14 Sep 2007, 09:41 (Ref:2012429)   #10
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Servia has every reason to complain as he out-drove PT most of the year.

This kind of stuff is just patent b/s...Forsythe is supposed to be one of your "top" teams. It is owned by one of the series owners. And yet, they still find it necessary to play Dale Coyne Racing for the last couple of races to get the $$.

It is disappointing. In a series screaming for quality and one that advertises the supposed quality of it's drivers, Servia gets punted for someone who has not even driven a DP-01 yet.

Servia's response to this likely couldn't get past the auto censor here.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 11:32 (Ref:2012548)   #11
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
This kind of stuff is just patent b/s...Forsythe is supposed to be one of your "top" teams. It is owned by one of the series owners.
trying to make it an us and them thing again John. Poor form.

Quote:
Servia's response to this likely couldn't get past the auto censor here.
I disagree John. Servia is someone who understands the realities of the world we currently live in. I am thinking he would be disappointed not to run in the final two race (as I think he was a dark horse for Surfers Paradise) but would be thankful for the Forsythe team giving him a drive when he had nothing at the start of the season.
Old 15 Sep 2007, 11:09 (Ref:2013515)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I think it is great that some of y'all have reached a point where you can sift my posts for nuance...I did not mean "your" in an us vs them scenario. I meant "your" in a generic sense as in: "Your average F1 driver" or "Your Show of Shows."

So what Servia should "understand" is that in the so-called top level series CC purports to be is that you can outperform The Great Paul Tracy all season and then get replaced by someone who has never driven the car, as long as that someone has access to gobs of cash.

A ringing endorsement for the overall health of the series. I am delighted that even Forsythe Racing can emulate Dale Coyne Racing, right down to the revolving door.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 15 Sep 2007, 11:22 (Ref:2013527)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Martinez is getting the drive through nationality, the desire to have a Mexican driver for their local round, rather than through his own funding, but otherwise I'd agree with John (and I didn't see 'your' as 'us-versus-them'). This demonstrates the instability of international events once the local drivers have gone (and don't tell me it's a coincidence that so much Dutch/Belgian drivers have emerged in the last 2 years).
Old 15 Sep 2007, 15:30 (Ref:2013733)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Martinez was on the cards for this way back at the beginning of the season regardless of what servia did.
Old 15 Sep 2007, 19:20 (Ref:2013901)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
I know that he was, mountainstar, it just doesn't make the actual fact any more palatable. would have been nice if they could have added a car for him like was done for Mutoh at Chicagoland.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 03:04 (Ref:2014183)   #16
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I know that he was, mountainstar, it just doesn't make the actual fact any more palatable. would have been nice if they could have added a car for him like was done for Mutoh at Chicagoland.
I would look at the positives rather than the negatives. Servia got a opportunity to show what he could do after being left without a ride at the beginning of the season and Martinez gets another well deserved break to show his potential.
Old 16 Sep 2007, 15:44 (Ref:2014707)   #17
D.R.T.
Veteran

I agree. Everyone wins.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 10:21 (Ref:2017764)   #18
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Yeah, what a winner! Dave Phillips had an interesting take on this in his most recent Speed TV commentary: "Good, Bad and the Ugly Notes."

Leads me to ask the question: "Has Martinez ever won anything?" He won exactly zero races in Atlantics, correct? I mean really, what is there about him aside from his demographic that makes him desirable as a replacement for Servia? Are the teams going to dump all of their non-Aussie/NZ drivers for Surfer's to take advantage of "demographics?" Still need someone to explain why his "demographic" would be an advantage at Surfer's...

I am still not seeing how this is a "win" for Servia - or CC - or Forsythe Racing or even Martinez. This has to be one of the few cases in North America where being of hispanic descent is an advantage.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 19 Sep 2007 at 10:23.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 12:31 (Ref:2017881)   #19
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
I am still not seeing how this is a "win" for Servia - or CC - or Forsythe Racing or even Martinez. This has to be one of the few cases in North America where being of hispanic descent is an advantage.
A win for Servia in that he recieved a drive from nothing at the 3rd Round. It would have made more sense to have Martinez drive from Long Beach till the rest of the season.

A win for CC as there will be a Mexican driver at the Mexican event. As Phillips points out, 1 of drives isnt going to excite the Mexican public much however.

Solution for 2008, Forsythe to run Tracy, Martinez and Servia for full seasons. Lets hope anyways.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 14:43 (Ref:2017979)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Solution for 2008, Forsythe to run Tracy, Martinez and Servia for full seasons. Lets hope anyways.
Forsythe barely was interested in running two cars this year until he realized that they needed the 2nd car to get more data and become competitive...they have been behind the curve all year now...

I don't see a third car happening at all, to be honest...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 20 Sep 2007, 02:37 (Ref:2018421)   #21
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Are the teams going to dump all of their non-Aussie/NZ drivers for Surfer's to take advantage of "demographics?" .
Actually that is a really cool idea. I'd be in favor of that. It would certainly be something different and I think the crowd would love it.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 02:46 (Ref:2018425)   #22
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Forsythe barely was interested in running two cars this year until he realized that they needed the 2nd car to get more data and become competitive...they have been behind the curve all year now...

I don't see a third car happening at all, to be honest...
They've run a third before, but I agree probably unlikely.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 09:51 (Ref:2018617)   #23
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
But as Phillips also points out, it is not saying much for the series when they take a driver who has accomplished what Servia did this season and replace him with no one special. Even after missing the first few races, Servia had a legitimate shot at finishing in the top five in the series championship.

Of course, that means nothing, I suppose, even though we are to get very excited about their Euro Cup and Canadian cup "competitions."
Old 20 Sep 2007, 12:04 (Ref:2018840)   #24
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Exactly and it got them nowhere. Hopefully such a poor season will kickstart Gerry into going from one extreme to the other
Old 20 Sep 2007, 18:41 (Ref:2019148)   #25
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's something else going on here. On other forums, they've read Phillips' stuff but they checked the CC website and the Autodromo websites and there isn't a thing on either one of them about the race....no ticket information and in the case of Autodromo, not a word. Then I heard from a good source today that they're in "final negotiations" over some issues....something I believe we all took for granted that this was a "done deal" when the race was scheduled.