Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 11 Aug 2007, 12:25 (Ref:1986023)   #1
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who will replace Sebastien at NHL?

With Sebastien now confirmed at Toro Rosso for next year who do think will replace him at Newman Haas? Personally I would like to see Justin Wilson get the seat as RSPORTS seem to be a little off the pace this year.
Old 11 Aug 2007, 13:15 (Ref:1986034)   #2
OJB
Veteran

United Kingdom
OJB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marco Andretti is in line for it apparently. If he isn't tied to BMW, Timo Glock would be a good choice - he made the Rocketsports car look quick! Other than that, Justin Wilson or Nelson Philippe maybe. Or even Tonio Liuzzi.....
Old 11 Aug 2007, 18:38 (Ref:1986190)   #3
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Marco's not that quick -- I hope they test Speed and also grab the the GP2 champion for a test -- Someone here mentioned in a post that Liuzzi overdrives his F1 car and I agree with that, but as he races he will probably get better with that problem, so he would be a good for a test too.

Last edited by Bluewolf; 11 Aug 2007 at 18:41.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 01:34 (Ref:1986461)   #4
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think jeremy shaw mentioned that Wilson is the favourite to replace bourdais at newman haas langian racing
Old 12 Aug 2007, 08:57 (Ref:1986534)   #5
OJB
Veteran

United Kingdom
OJB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andretti had potential I think - he seems quick on road courses, more so than ovals.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 11:18 (Ref:1986597)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I know here is who is in the frame:

Scott Speed
Justin Wilson

And possibly::

Marco Andretti
Old 12 Aug 2007, 15:15 (Ref:1986705)   #7
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not another Formula Atlantic grad?
Old 12 Aug 2007, 17:34 (Ref:1986755)   #8
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
If you take an Atlantic grad (though not a bad idea) then you would have two relative rookies if Rahal stays. Whoever they select, I tend to think it will be someone with experience.

Hadn't considered Wilson, not necessarily a bad choice...but Glock might not be a bad idea, either.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 17:35 (Ref:1986756)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Justin Wilson would be a good choice. I think he deserves a really top car.

No mentions for Dan Clarke?
Old 12 Aug 2007, 17:51 (Ref:1986766)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I suspect it would be an experienced driver like Wilson.

There are still rumors going around about Marco as of yesterday.

Speed would be a good choice I think he would go to another team.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 17:55 (Ref:1986769)   #11
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Yes Justin is obviously talented and I'm sure would do well -- In the following article, Speed mentions N/H/L at the top of his list so perhaps there is already something there as I don't think he would've mentioned a specific team unless there was already some communication. Also, it looks like Red Bull is still in the picture with Speed -- here's the link:

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlin...12161750.shtml

Last edited by Bluewolf; 12 Aug 2007 at 17:58.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 21:11 (Ref:1987015)   #12
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any chance AJ Allmendinger could come back?
Old 12 Aug 2007, 21:32 (Ref:1987048)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
He remains optimistic that he can stay on the grid next season, but said he would turn his attention to US racing if he could not secure another Formula One seat.

"My priority is to stay in F1, which is what I dreamt of as a child," Liuzzi said.

"I'm in contact with two other teams, otherwise I'll aim to race in America."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61489

So Liuzzi is 'possible' for Champ Car.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 21:35 (Ref:1987052)   #14
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
Any chance AJ Allmendinger could come back?
Raven I'd love to see AJ Allmendinger return to Champ Car. He had it all, and he was exactly what Champ Car wanted. I only wish he returns but I don't know how he feels at NASCAR but half the time he doesn't qualify for the Cup races.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 21:35 (Ref:1987053)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
AJ will be much happier with his NASCAR pay cheques though.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 21:37 (Ref:1987056)   #16
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Which sucks. He could have been a champion in CC but I guess not oftern do you get a deal to do Cup. I think he's best suited in CC personally. Better off anyway (not $$ of course)
Old 12 Aug 2007, 21:46 (Ref:1987076)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I was mortified when he left Champcar too. He is not NASCAR material.

But then again, Champcar is losing prestige fast.
Old 12 Aug 2007, 22:14 (Ref:1987107)   #18
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure that Wilson or Speed deserve a NHL seat. Hasn't Justin made to many mistakes this year.

Glock might be a better bet, but Champ Car need American stars or it will die.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 00:01 (Ref:1987163)   #19
Tony Clifton
Racer

Tony Clifton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Raven I'd love to see AJ Allmendinger return to Champ Car. He had it all, and he was exactly what Champ Car wanted. I only wish he returns but I don't know how he feels at NASCAR but half the time he doesn't qualify for the Cup races.
AJ has a 3 year 9 million contract to race NASCAR. I spoke to a relative of his recently. AJ would have like to stayed in Champ Car but NASCAR was giving him 9 million reasons to race with them.

I doubt AJ will ever be back in open wheel cars. By the time his contract with NASCAR is done he will be in his late 20's and will have to re-learn open wheel driving style.

NASCAR is the retirement series anyway. Once you get there as long as you keep you image clean and can deal with sponsorship commitments you are never out of a ride.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 00:08 (Ref:1987167)   #20
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nine million to sit for NASCAR if you look at the results. Seriously though, I'd prefer to see him in Champ Car but when that Red Bull program picks up steam I imagine he'll be a contender in NASCAR. Back to the topic at hand, I'd like to see the Rahals and Andretti's in Champ Car where they belong.

Chris
Old 13 Aug 2007, 01:11 (Ref:1987196)   #21
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Every time an open wheel driver from a U.S. series leaves and goes to NASCAR it really hurts open wheel racing in America. The Allmindinger move was really bad -- and as long as they keep going to NASCAR the audience will stay small -- It's going to be very difficult for open wheel in America to get back to the glory days unless they finally combine the two series and get a lot of sponsorship money again which will keep the best drivers in open wheel.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 01:45 (Ref:1987207)   #22
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I was mortified when he left Champcar too. He is not NASCAR material.

But then again, Champcar is losing prestige fast.
I'd disagree about the prestige bit. I think we have a lot of new stars on the horizon(doornbos and power for starters, the racing is the best this year and sponsors are starting to take an interest).

AJ was unknown but for the last 3 months in champcar when he started winning races. He may have got that big contract, but over the long term I think he would have been better demonstrating a winning pedigree in champcar for a few years and then moving on. Right now if the nascar ride evaporates he's screwed. He has nothing to fall back on and no fanbase or sponsors to support him. I heard about the Forsythe offer and it was not peanuts.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 03:12 (Ref:1987223)   #23
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AJ is now: 1. A nobody? 2. A has been?

When ever I see him on TV, he looks lost, no energy, never smiles. There are many things besides money. You have to be a little careful about what you think you should have,,,,,,,,you might get it.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 09:46 (Ref:1987373)   #24
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12
Not sure that Wilson or Speed deserve a NHL seat. Hasn't Justin made to many mistakes this year.
I think Wilson has more than earnt an NHL ride. The RSports car he has had under him this year has been ordinary, and yet he still manages poles and lead some races. We have seen what AJ managed in a top car, the mind boggles at what Wilson would do in a top car.

That said, I hope Wilson doesnt wind up at NHL, mainly because it would be Bourdais all over again.

Best case scenario, (well in my head) is Wilson and CDW to Minardi USA, Speed to NHL and Clarke to RSports.
Old 13 Aug 2007, 10:53 (Ref:1987422)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Speed getting a competitive drive is vital for ChampCars, and NHL might be the most competitive of the lot. Wilson deserves a good car and is an established name with the US public as well though.