Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 2 Aug 2011, 05:35 (Ref:2934833)   #876
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I think that Red Bull will keep Mark on, for another season at least.

They need someone who can bring home the points and as Mark is (currently) second in the Championship he's proved that he can do that, to be honest, Ricciardo won't do as good a job at this stage in his career! but they also know that he's (Mark) not at Seb's level so he won't be a threat, ideal compromise for all parties imo.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 11:44 (Ref:2934936)   #877
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I think that Red Bull will keep Mark on, for another season at least.

They need someone who can bring home the points and as Mark is (currently) second in the Championship he's proved that he can do that, to be honest, Ricciardo won't do as good a job at this stage in his career! but they also know that he's (Mark) not at Seb's level so he won't be a threat, ideal compromise for all parties imo.
Yep, that's what I think.
Old 2 Aug 2011, 11:46 (Ref:2934938)   #878
parkingjedi
Racer

Bhutan
parkingjedi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark having a little cry about his slower car made think of this 'Ronnie Johns/Chopper Read' skit from a while back. So what would "Chopper Read" say to Mark? NSFW without headphones (language)

Chopper Read wants Australia to Harden the "F" up (youtube vid)

.....this is Mark Webber, he drives a fancy shiny race car but he thinks his little friend has a faster one, Chopper thinks you need to ..vroom vroom - harden the "f' up.

Old 28 Aug 2011, 01:23 (Ref:2947022)   #879
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so another season of V vs M.

Or is Mark the testing and soritng driver whilst the hone the skills of a young Daniel
Old 28 Aug 2011, 08:08 (Ref:2947063)   #880
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Webber said it was a 'no brainer' to stay put. I totally agree with him & I'm sure RB do too.
Let's face it, he's the perfect No:2.......in fact you could say he's probably one of the best No:2s F1 has seen in the last ten years at least. If he was a tennis player, he'd be Tim Henman!

Old 28 Aug 2011, 08:30 (Ref:2947069)   #881
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
so another season of V vs M.

Or is Mark the testing and soritng driver whilst the hone the skills of a young Daniel
Red Bull Drinks seem to have a lot of balls in the air, with possibly 4 pilots to drive their Scuderia Toro Rosso cars next season

Or are Red Bull going to buy even more teams to fit them in? Picking up Force India would be great if the Red Bull Racing operation could nick the Mercedes engine for their Newey-mobiles

There is precedent for such a thing, Mr Briatore and co purchased Ligier (remember them?) for their Renault engine supply some years ago... to put into Mr Schumacher's Benetton...

Stranger things have happened
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 28 Aug 2011, 08:49 (Ref:2947077)   #882
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Red Bull Drinks seem to have a lot of balls in the air, with possibly 4 pilots to drive their Scuderia Toro Rosso cars next season

Or are Red Bull going to buy even more teams to fit them in? Picking up Force India would be great if the Red Bull Racing operation could nick the Mercedes engine for their Newey-mobiles

There is precedent for such a thing, Mr Briatore and co purchased Ligier (remember them?) for their Renault engine supply some years ago... to put into Mr Schumacher's Benetton...

Stranger things have happened
Yes I remeber some of that, also doesnt Bernie own a Team Name/brand as well?

Rb might just spead it wings, along with Mark and Christians team.
Old 28 Aug 2011, 09:01 (Ref:2947080)   #883
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oran Park Forever View Post

If he was a tennis player, he'd be Tim Henman!

Tim Henman was never good enough to get near number 2 status

I wonder what it is actually like to be in Mark's position at the moment? All weekend he's appeared to have the upper hand, i was convinced that he'd get pole yesterday, but then Seb just pop's up and nick's it off him seemingly easily.
Old 28 Aug 2011, 09:32 (Ref:2947095)   #884
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I wonder what it is actually like to be in Mark's position at the moment? All weekend he's appeared to have the upper hand, i was convinced that he'd get pole yesterday, but then Seb just pop's up and nick's it off him seemingly easily.
Red Bull probably ordered him to get all of his ideas on how to improve his times and transfer them to Seb's
Old 28 Aug 2011, 10:14 (Ref:2947114)   #885
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Ok how about Andy Murray then?

Webber (almost) always wins the "Friday World Championship", he's very good at it, but in the big scheme of things it means jack s--t! As for his countless fastest laps in the GPs proper, this also means diddly.
Case in point: Ayrton Senna - 65 poles, 41 wins,(only) 19 fastest laps from 161 starts.
Maybe if the fastest lap was worth one point then yeah it'd be a bigger deal, but then there'd be others beating him to it!.

Old 28 Aug 2011, 10:37 (Ref:2947123)   #886
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Ok how about Andy Murray then?

Webber (almost) always wins the "Friday World Championship", he's very good at it, but in the big scheme of things it means jack s--t!

Indeed. The point i'm making is that after all 3 free practices, Mark must look at the times and feel pretty confident about the possibility of a pole, then seemingly out of nowhere, Seb pop's up with the fastest time. Mark must wonder where the that come's from!
Old 29 Aug 2011, 00:16 (Ref:2947403)   #887
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Quote:
then seemingly out of nowhere, Seb pop's up with the fastest time. Mark must wonder where the that come's from!
The difference between someone who's got 'it' & someone who hasn't. The ones who don't have 'it' will always be left wondering.

But Webber seemed happy after the race so he seems to have finally accepted the above scenario.

Old 29 Aug 2011, 00:30 (Ref:2947406)   #888
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
But Webber seemed happy after the race so he seems to have finally accepted the above scenario.
Quite the contrary, I think... Mark's smile seemed to me to be a case of, "I know I had the pace to run with Seb today - if I could have got the thing off the line, things would have been very interesting between us."

And he's right... His pace was strong all race - quite often faster than his team mate... His problem was that he had to come back from significantly behind the eight ball.

I think Mark's seemingly more positive attitude in recent times is largely down to the fact that he feels he is pretty much back on terms with Seb on pace... He just needs the cards to fall his way for a change - like they have done for Seb all year...
Old 29 Aug 2011, 00:38 (Ref:2947408)   #889
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Really?
Old 29 Aug 2011, 00:40 (Ref:2947409)   #890
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Webber's problem is that he seems to hash every GP start, so he always starts behind the eight ball!

There has to be a reason his car goes into anti-stall every start.

RBR must have looked at it, does anyone know what Webber is doing to mess up his starts?
Old 29 Aug 2011, 01:41 (Ref:2947420)   #891
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agree'd, Webber starts have been consistently bad for nearly 2 years. The only blinder I can remeber him getting in a Red Bull was Britan last year.

Having said that I think he had the pace to beat Vettel in Belgium but stuffed it due to dropping to 9th on the first lap. If he had been 3rd I think he could have won it.

But Kudo's have to go to him for the gutsiest pass I have seen in F1 for a while around the outside of Eau Rouge !!!!! Fantastic.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 02:53 (Ref:2947427)   #892
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
Quite the contrary, I think... Mark's smile seemed to me to be a case of, "I know I had the pace to run with Seb today - if I could have got the thing off the line, things would have been very interesting between us."

And he's right... His pace was strong all race - quite often faster than his team mate... His problem was that he had to come back from significantly behind the eight ball.

I think Mark's seemingly more positive attitude in recent times is largely down to the fact that he feels he is pretty much back on terms with Seb on pace... He just needs the cards to fall his way for a change - like they have done for Seb all year...
All I can say to that is I admire your optimism!

Good luck with all that......
Old 29 Aug 2011, 03:06 (Ref:2947430)   #893
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Webber's problem is that he seems to hash every GP start, so he always starts behind the eight ball!

There has to be a reason his car goes into anti-stall every start.

RBR must have looked at it, does anyone know what Webber is doing to mess up his starts?
Suggestion on the Youtube footage of his pass on Alonso...

"I can see now why he had such a ****ty start - his balls weighed him down."

Lol.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 03:08 (Ref:2947431)   #894
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post
But Kudo's have to go to him for the gutsiest pass I have seen in F1 for a while around the outside of Eau Rouge !!!!! Fantastic.
holy moses, i still cant believe he did that!
Old 29 Aug 2011, 08:15 (Ref:2947489)   #895
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Suggestion on the Youtube footage of his pass on Alonso...

"I can see now why he had such a ****ty start - his balls weighed him down."

Lol.

Brilliant!
Old 29 Aug 2011, 08:31 (Ref:2947492)   #896
Mr V
Veteran

England
Brilliant overtake from Mark yesterday, that will be up there with the Mika/Michael overtake from 2000. Great overtake from Seb around the outside of Nico also.

Would Mark have given Seb a run for his money realisticlly yesterday had he got off the line ok? I'm not so sure. Seb seemed to have the measure of both Mark and Fernando during the race yesterday, but it's more fun to say what if isn't it
Old 29 Aug 2011, 10:35 (Ref:2947572)   #897
mac
Veteran

Quote:
Would Mark have given Seb a run for his money realisticlly yesterday had he got off the line ok? I'm not so sure. Seb seemed to have the measure of both Mark and Fernando during the race yesterday, but it's more fun to say what if isn't it
I think that, given his pace in free practice, qualifying (until he burned up his tyres), and the race, it would be foolish to suggest he couldn't have.

Don't forget, after the safety car Vettel was in front of him with a pit stop in his pocket - and Mark finished just 3 seconds back... Not saying he would have won, but I definitely think he would have run with him...
Old 29 Aug 2011, 11:41 (Ref:2947592)   #898
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Don't forget, after the safety car Vettel was in front of him with a pit stop in his pocket - and Mark finished just 3 seconds back... Not saying he would have won, but I definitely think he would have run with him...
But after the safety car, they only stopped 1 more time each. It's not like Mark had to pit a second time, not under the safety car, then each stopping a third time.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 00:09 (Ref:2948041)   #899
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Brilliant overtake from Mark yesterday, that will be up there with the Mika/Michael overtake from 2000. Great overtake from Seb around the outside of Nico also.

Theres not a great deal between all the drivers in winning (chance) cars and a few that are not but Seb just keeps getting the job done, doesnt he? I think he has just that "little" extra and if seriously challenged will find it.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 00:09 (Ref:2948042)   #900
mac
Veteran

Quote:
But after the safety car, they only stopped 1 more time each. It's not like Mark had to pit a second time, not under the safety car, then each stopping a third time.
I understand that, but by missing his stop under the safety car due to the radio problem, he was forced to run a longer (and slower) second stint.

I think Mark himself said (more or less) that it was a shame that he missed his pit and didn't get to race with Seb... It was because Seb got new tyres under the safety car, and Mark had to make his used hard tyres last a very long time - which, it has to be said, he did very well.