A.J. Allmendinger

This guy is really something else!
Old 13 Apr 2003, 18:45 (Ref:568378)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Erm...wait until the end of the season before declaring anything. He's had one win and one DNF. He had a great race this weekend, but that's no guarantee he'll have a great one next week or the week after. That's the way the Atlantic series is. You need to be consistent to take the Championship.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 13 Apr 2003, 18:47 (Ref:568381)   #3
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is undoubtedly good. He won the Barber Dodge Championship last year, driving some great races. However, there is a lot of pressure from the media to find the next "Great American Hope" and he may burn out. Let's give the kid room and time to grow up and fully develop as a driver. He will win, he will lose, he will make mistakes - and that is just fine, as far as he wins more than he loses...

One thing that he will also need is coaching. Having witnessed karting and lower formulae both in Brazil and in the United States, this is something that still lacks in North America (attention kart daddies: coaching is not shouting to your kids, or shouting to other kids and their daddies. You need to know what you are talking about, otherwise stay off the pits and leave the job to someone else that does)

It is really nice to see A. J. doing so well, but's let not build unnecessary pressure on him. This is something that definetely played against many good American drivers on CART in the last years. I really believe that, given a different environment, Alex Barron (who is much less experienced than most think, thus he needed time) and, particularly, Memo Gidley would have fared much better.

This endless quest for the "Great American Hope" sometimes fires back badly - to the point that merely average drivers such as Richie Hearn (who, I am sorry, never showed much, from karting to CART) start to be called that.

Let A. J. do his job, support him - this way he has great chances of getting there, to the top of the podium.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 18:49 (Ref:568383)   #4
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Overrated. He is damn fast but not as good as the media makes him out to be.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 18:52 (Ref:568391)   #5
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did good enough to take it from flag to flag today, was never challenged at all. A great drive.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 20:38 (Ref:568461)   #6
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True enough, Muzza. But that's why it's such a benefit to AJ that he's got PT in his corner ready to offer support and advice.

Hey, corkholio, you want some ketchup with your foot?

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 13 Apr 2003 at 20:40.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 21:42 (Ref:568520)   #7
bart_jacobs
Racer

bart_jacobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The guy is better than average, but I don't think that he is that great. And for the moment he is overrated, maybe if they will give him a couple years time, he will become what the media makes of him... He is on the way up!
Old 14 Apr 2003, 03:32 (Ref:568723)   #8
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is definitely the real deal. I was at the LBGP this weekend and saw how fast he really is.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 10:05 (Ref:568889)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's got potential, no doubt about it, and appears to be the best guy in Atlantics this year. However, I'm not convinced that he'll be ready for CART by 2004, or that he could hold a candle to some of the guys in the European ladder championships. Atlantics has a very weak field compared even to British F3, let alone F3000, which is why team owners mostly give it a wide berth.