Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 May 2002, 23:21 (Ref:296202)   #1
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Jacques set to join Mclaren for 2003?

It was rumored early in the season that Jacques Villeneuve has signed a secret contract with Mclaren for 2003 and will join the team 'if Hakkinen decides to retire permanently.'

Today TAG Heuer (major partner of Mclaren Mercedes) announced the partnership between Jacques Villeneuve and TAG Heuer for their first range of their Sport Vision prescription eyewear and sunglasses. Some circles in f1 quickly noted that this comes just a day after meeting of Hakkinen with Ron Dennis and Norbert Haug at Monaco.

Although no one is sure BUT this is a strong indication that Mika has decided to say permanent farewell to formula one and that Jacques Villeneuve will join Mclaren Mercedes for 2003.

I think if that happens probably Raikonnen will get demoted into test driver status while DC would be kept.

I am excited about the prospect of JV joining Macs! Lets hope it happens.
Old 25 May 2002, 23:37 (Ref:296210)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Likely: Mika is not coming back.

Unlikely: Any team is going to want JV, especially a top team.

JV has as much chance of getting a McLaren drive as Schumacher has of winning Sportsman of the year. Er.... ah... ok, maybe anything is possible.
Old 25 May 2002, 23:43 (Ref:296217)   #3
freud
Veteran

Here's part of the statement:

Jacques joins the ranks of the world's greatest Formula 1 champions, such as Niki Lauda, Jody Scheckter, Alain Prost, Ayrton Senna and more recently Mika Hakkinen, who have all worn TAG colors.

“I am happy to be joining the "dream team" of TAG Heuer ambassadors. TAG Heuer's philosophy, like that of Formula One, has always been driven by a quest for performance and this is what gives them their inimitable status,” Jacques said. “In addition to this, sight is an extremely important factor in sport in general and even more so in Formula 1 racing, since just like weather conditions, it is an area requiring absolute precision. "Sport Vision" prescription eyewear and sunglasses are undoubtedly at the cutting edge of technology, comfort and design."

“His personality, which is very close to TAG Heuer's values, such as -exceeding your limits, facing daily challenges and also passion - seemed to make this a natural and appropriate partnership," added Jean-Christophe Babin. "Along with the other TAG Heuer ambassadors, Jacques Villeneuve will soon be seen wearing "Sport Vision" glasses in the TAG Heuer advertising campaign ‘What are you made of?', launched on the international market in March 2002, and will be involved in public relations events for the brand over a period of three years."
Old 25 May 2002, 23:48 (Ref:296221)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I still dont see how this gets him a drive in a Mercedes in 2003?
Old 25 May 2002, 23:52 (Ref:296223)   #5
freud
Veteran

My fingers are crossed, though I 'hope' he joins Mclarens... it will be great news for formula one!
Old 26 May 2002, 00:56 (Ref:296246)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ten reasons Jacques will not get a drive at McLaren:

10. Kimi will work for 1/250th of the pay and is 10 years younger.
9. Jacques won't do PR.
8. Jacques won't read from Ron Dennis' script at press conferences.
7. Jacques won't shave.
6. Jacques can't set up a car; he's a 'natural driver' -- or he was -- and can't do development work.
5. Ron Dennis already has one DC, why would he need another one?
4. It's a choice between Jacques or a car, they can't afford both.
3. Ron Dennis has a secret contact with Jean Alesi.
2. Mika vetoed the idea.

AND THE NUMBER ONE REASON WHY JACQUES WON'T GET THE MCLAREN DRIVE:

1. Ron Dennis has signed Hugo.
Old 26 May 2002, 01:14 (Ref:296259)   #7
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Ten reasons Jacques will not get a drive at McLaren:

7. Jacques won't shave.
6. Jacques can't set up a car; he's a 'natural driver' -- or he was -- and can't do development work.
5. Ron Dennis already has one DC, why would he need another one?
4. It's a choice between Jacques or a car, they can't afford both.

AND THE NUMBER ONE REASON WHY JACQUES WON'T GET THE MCLAREN DRIVE:

1. Ron Dennis has signed Hugo.
These are my fav's!

But number 4 is probably THE best !
Old 26 May 2002, 01:55 (Ref:296271)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Liz! You certainly make the best case.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 26 May 2002, 02:01 (Ref:296272)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's time to be funny again.
Old 26 May 2002, 02:31 (Ref:296289)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't believe it. JV'f face does not fit at McLaren at all. I'm afraid old Jacques will be stuck at BAR.

Besides, how does signing this contract get him a McLaren seat???
Old 26 May 2002, 03:20 (Ref:296306)   #11
freud
Veteran

Liz, thats WAS hilarious.

My personal view is that if Ron wants to see his car back at the top, he needs a charger. DC & Kimi are great but Jacques aggression will help Mclarens a lot. As I said earlier I am keeping my fingers crossed. This is formula one and ANYTHING can happen!
Old 26 May 2002, 03:26 (Ref:296307)   #12
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
JV a charger?????????? When he can be bothered. I don't doubt his ability, just his motivation. He's become a paycheck driver, he's no longer a racer, or as McLaren needs, a charger.
Old 26 May 2002, 03:40 (Ref:296314)   #13
freud
Veteran

Hmm, thats interesting.
Old 26 May 2002, 03:42 (Ref:296315)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JV's face simply doesn't fit in the McLaren commercial and business empire.
Old 26 May 2002, 03:58 (Ref:296322)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
From itv.com
BAR have denied suggestions that Jacques Villeneuve must take a pay cut next season.

It was rumoured in Austria that Villeneuve would have to accept a reduced salary if he wanted to stay with the struggling team next season.

But team boss David Richards has admitted that the 1997 world champion has a firm contract for 2003 in which his salary is clearly stipulated.

And Richards could not resist the opportunity to take a dig at Craig Pollock, his predecessor at the helm of BAR and Villeneuve’s personal manager.

Richards said: "That is the situation. Basically, I’ve got no choice but to pay him 25% of our budget, which is a bit of a frustrating situation but you have to say that Craig Pollock did a very good deal…"

Villeneuve’s three-year contract is thought to be worth around £35million.

Richards said his personal relationship with Villeneuve was fine.

He said: "There is no problem there at all. He’s a very fast driver and we get along fine. It can be a bit difficult as regards the promotional side, but I can work around that."
hmm
Old 26 May 2002, 04:07 (Ref:296325)   #16
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very good vote of confidence i think...........not

no wonder BAR got rid of pollock!!!!!!!!
Old 26 May 2002, 04:16 (Ref:296327)   #17
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Pollock proved he was incapable of running a fair race team.
Old 26 May 2002, 05:24 (Ref:296343)   #18
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Re: Jacques set to join Mclaren for 2003?

Quote:
Originally posted by freud
It was rumored early in the season that Jacques Villeneuve has signed a secret contract with Mclaren for 2003 and will join the team 'if Hakkinen decides to retire permanently.'
I am excited about the prospect of JV joining Macs! Lets hope it happens.
Freud - stop these crazy rumours or we'll send you to a psychiatrist.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 26 May 2002, 08:09 (Ref:296368)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Jacques set to join Mclaren for 2003?

Quote:
Originally posted by freud

I think if that happens probably Raikonnen will get demoted into test driver status while DC would be kept.

couldn't see kimi demoted to test driver somehow, he's too good for that, DC would be kicked out, but i honestly can't see Ron signing JV, Heidfeld will be in the Silver Arrows before Villeneuve imo!
Old 26 May 2002, 09:30 (Ref:296419)   #20
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing Jacques in a McLaren would be great. It is not likely, but stranger things have happened. If we all use will power, maybe it will!

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
JV a charger?????????? When he can be bothered.
Jacques is a charger. When he's got the car to give him an opportunity to win, he's as good as anyone out there. But, sadly, I think his wasted years at BAR has taken away some of his competitive edge. But don't forget how he charged up the field in Austria! That was the Villeneuve of old, and that was good to see.
Old 26 May 2002, 09:35 (Ref:296422)   #21
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would it really be a tradgety for him if he took a pay cut? he will still be getting paid millions to race f1 cars! hey i would do that for $50,000

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 26 May 2002, 09:55 (Ref:296438)   #22
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by R
But don't forget how he charged up the field in Austria! That was the Villeneuve of old, and that was good to see.
IMO R, that makes it worse. Clearly he has masive talent - you have it or you don't, and you never lose it. However, we only see it nowadays when he's "in the mood".

One drive this season (after being 'out-charged' by Webber in a Minardi in Oz) does'nt make up for 2 really bad seasons.
Old 26 May 2002, 10:39 (Ref:296468)   #23
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't disagree with you there, Wrex, and as a fan of Villeneuve, I must say it's disappointing to see how his career has gone down the drain in the last few years. That's why - to me - a race like Austria gives hope. It shows the spark is still there.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
he's no longer a racer, or as McLaren needs, a charger.
My point is that in a competitive car, he would still be able to do it, and Austria proves that. In a car that can win races - like a McLaren - Jacques will win them. That's why I think McLaren and JV would be a great combination. What would really be great is if Mika were to come back, and race alongside Jacques, then McLaren would really have a dream team. Oh, I guess I can always hope.
Old 26 May 2002, 10:44 (Ref:296478)   #24
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People say it was just in Austria, but how do you keep motivated just by the money you get paid?

Jacques wants to win. Quoting him: "I prefer to win 6 races and DNF in the others than end all the races in 4th place"

He wants to win. Big salary, yes, but he's the only active champion besides Michael, isn't he?
Old 26 May 2002, 10:49 (Ref:296487)   #25
R
Veteran

That he is, and Gtr69, I would also race in F1 for $50,000 a year, but if I was a proven winner, if I had won the Indy 500, the Indycar (CART) championship and the Formula One World Championship, then I'm sure I would want more money too.

Jacques is a winner through and through, and the quote posted by Jordi just proves it.