greenbean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hans device in club racing

should the hans device be made complusare in british club racing yes or no
Old 9 Aug 2004, 23:05 (Ref:1061580)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Nice idea but why so expensive?
Old 9 Aug 2004, 23:26 (Ref:1061591)   #3
goughy
Racer

goughy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it should, but it needs to come down in price a lot. The price it is at the moment is several races for a lot of people. If it was enforced they must be able to knock its price down based on the sheer number of units that would be sold.

Anyone know how much they are in the USA? Pretty sure you have to have one there no matter what so does anoyone know how it was received by everyone?

Last edited by goughy; 9 Aug 2004 at 23:30.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 00:03 (Ref:1061605)   #4
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Don't forget that it would also mean a new Helmet for most as well.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 00:15 (Ref:1061608)   #5
goughy
Racer

goughy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understood that they would fit any helemt, just need them to be drilled for the fixings. I know the new Arai's already have this done, but as far as I have been advised drilling is not a problem.

See the Hans website regarding fitting the fixtures, says its very simple and most people can do it themselves. Price seems the same in the US too.

Last edited by goughy; 10 Aug 2004 at 00:21.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 01:12 (Ref:1061627)   #6
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
It may be different in Europe, but as far as I am aware, only the newest SA2000 and above helmets can be modified, according to a list on the FIA website. I also thought that it had to be a qualified installer for the posts, as that is one of the issues with take up in Australia, is that there wasn't anyone who could do it.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 06:18 (Ref:1061755)   #7
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that the FIA only recognises the latest standards.

In the UK you can still wear Snell 95 helmets for National events. I believe that these ar OK for fitting the HANS Studs.

The Hans website does indicate DIY fitting.

I also believe that the cost is high because a royalty is payable to the inventors for the R&D work. Cannot see why they need to be made from Carbon, I'd have thought that a moulded nylon or similar would do the job just as well.
Prices are dropping I guess as a result of increased production.

Difficult question to answer though. I guess that they should, and that we should all be sensible enough to miss a few races and buy one.

Maybe the MSA should arrange a bulk discounted price and even subsidise them for their 40,000 or so licence holders. T'would be something back for our licence fee.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 07:47 (Ref:1061839)   #8
darvi
Rookie

darvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the F1 boys can't get comfortable in them, despite all the help with fitting and being able to design cars to allow them to fit, what chance has your average clubbie got? Also, what problem are we trying to solve?
Old 10 Aug 2004, 07:48 (Ref:1061841)   #9
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about making the race seats with 'ears' comulsory?

I have got one in my car and now wouldn't race without it.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 08:10 (Ref:1061855)   #10
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest why do not more drivers (especially club drivers) not wear a Neck brace, they are £30/£40 or so. I race karts in one and have no problem with visablity, practicality, etc, etc. I know they are not for all but how many people have tried one?

I agree that above certain speeds and with certain cars they should be recommended to wear, mainly with car with the higher G-forces/ top speeds.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 08:13 (Ref:1061857)   #11
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If the F1 boys can't get comfortable in them, despite all the help with fitting and being able to design cars to allow them to fit, what chance has your average clubbie got? Also, what problem are we trying to solve?
There shouldn't be any problem regarding fitting to cars - it is fitted to the driver!

Ask a number of Champcar/Indycar/F1 drivers who have had major shunts the problem that the HANS device has solved!!
Old 10 Aug 2004, 08:21 (Ref:1061861)   #12
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a documentary on TV a few months ago which covered the Dale Earnhardt crash, amongst others, and the conclusion seemed to be that the neck could be broken at the the base of the skull at even moderate impacts, due to whiplash, the effects being emphasised by the weight of the helmet. The HANS device was considered a major contribution to increased safety - It was suggested that Earnhardt would not have died if he had been wearing one. I watched the documentary with some concern (fortunately my better half did not see it!) and considered getting a HANS fitted for, oh, all of a about 3 days. The cost seemed prohibitive, but that really is a stupid reason for not doing it if it saves lives. I would like to see them introduced and for the MSA to negotiate significant price reductions with a manufacturer or two on the basis that a large number of licence holders would have to purchase them - supply & demand etc.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 08:53 (Ref:1061883)   #13
Revracing
Racer

Revracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am interested in the HANS device, but one reason I haven't fitted one is that the clubby scrutineers will not like the studs being fitted to the helmet, and unless you can educate them regarding safe stud fitting (as detailed on the HANS website) you are more than likely to be failed.

There are other devices, the HUTCHENS and derivatives do much the same job but without drilling your safety helmet.

I tried getting hold of one once, no joy, I even tried getting one through a motor sport related overseas importer and even they couln't get one.... Very frustrating as by choice I would prefer the HUTCHENS system.

Last edited by Revracing; 10 Aug 2004 at 08:55.

Steve McQueen
Old 10 Aug 2004, 08:57 (Ref:1061889)   #14
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why get an SA95 helmet fitted with HANS they go out at the end of the year dont they??
Old 10 Aug 2004, 09:52 (Ref:1061924)   #15
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scrutineers dont have a problem with HANS studded helmets. I have had both mine done for future HANS use (was at the Autosport show where they did them while u wait) and no-one has ever even questioned it.

Problems with HANS for club racers as far as I can see:

1. Cost (still quite high, yet Stand21 have a new version)
2. Comfort (have to choose correct incline version from long list)
3. Shoulder straps have to be thick enough and mounted correctly (see Stand21 website www.stand21.co.uk) as strap bolts have to be certain distance from bottom of HANS cowell when being worn. Most cars are outside of scope.
4. Cost of testing it. Cannot simply go out and race with it from the box.

I do think they are worth while, especially at tracks with short run off. Cadwell for example is my favourite track, but some of the corners could cause serious pain if hit head on at full chat.

If budget allows next year, I am tempted to get one over the winter and test before racing.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 09:53 (Ref:1061926)   #16
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No I'm against it completely - Hans would not suit my driving position, body shape or wallet. I would quit racing if it was compulsory and return to rallying
Old 10 Aug 2004, 10:37 (Ref:1061962)   #17
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
The FIA website has a list of apporved Devices and helmets (all SA2000) at this location.

FIA HANS

It is interesting to see that a number of the teams make their own for their drivers.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 11:00 (Ref:1061978)   #18
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
No I'm against it completely - Hans would not suit my driving position, body shape or wallet. I would quit racing if it was compulsory and return to rallying

Sods law says that if they make it compulsory for circuit driving they will do the same for rallying

I think it should be strongly recommended or compulsory for specific championships, but not compulsory across the board.

Last edited by ActiveMS; 10 Aug 2004 at 11:04.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 11:33 (Ref:1062015)   #19
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
And by what I've seen, the injuries that HANS prevents certainly won't suit your status of being able bodied or alive!

Maybe a phasing in system over five years would be a good idea - when buying a replacement helmet, it must be suitable for HANS with the intention that by the end of the time period everyone has one. Ok, they may not be the cheapest thing in the world, but if it spares your life then surely it's a good investment?

Out of interest and slightly off topic, how many years does a helmet normally last you?
Old 10 Aug 2004, 12:09 (Ref:1062069)   #20
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
just replaced my current lid - from a cheapish Spada ZV to a much better Stilo. Why? becuase I'd had the Spada for 5 years. I keep it as a spare.

Seriously though I will never ever compete using a HANS device for the reasons I stated above, things like this should be up to the driver - after all in club racing we have the choice of sub £100 helmets to those costing over £2000 - it should be up to the driver, as with the banning of Probans at the end of this year annoys me.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 12:24 (Ref:1062082)   #21
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be interesting to hear from Jason Minshaw of Demon Tweeks. He recently had a biggie and wrecked his top of the range helmet and gave himself a hairline skull fracture.
Await a post from jminsh
Old 10 Aug 2004, 12:25 (Ref:1062083)   #22
Revracing
Racer

Revracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It should be remembered that the HANS is only 1 of many such devices. Sam, the Hutchens systems and derivatives are much less intrusive, and work using your existing 6 point harness, they dont intrude on driver seating position and allow for much more side to side head movement in the car.

Steve McQueen
Old 10 Aug 2004, 12:40 (Ref:1062095)   #23
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
If it is ever made compulsory I will pack up racing. I am not convinced of the safety aspects and it will be just another way to line someone else’s pockets at our expense.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 12:43 (Ref:1062105)   #24
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there must have been a discussion similar to this years ago, about why drivers should wear helmets?

Arguments going something like, it does not suit my driving style, it's uncomfortable, they don't do them to fit me, and they are expensive.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 12:53 (Ref:1062115)   #25
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
Falcemob,

This is not an attack on you, so please do not take it as one, but the agruments that you use here are pretty much the same arguments used buy people against;
- Seatbelts - They trap you in the car, and restrict your movement.
- Helmets - restriction of vision, weight, heat, etc.
- Proper seats - Costs, nothing wrong with the low back one that I use now.
- Etc. etc.

History is littered with these sorts of arguments, and most of the time they are overruled, through either legislation, or commonsense.

Who here you go out onto a circuit without a helmet or belts now? Even when I drive the course car I wear a helmet, mainly because you never know what could happen.

I also wear a full face helmet in a closed car because I once hit a bird at approx 200kph, shattering the windscreen, and spraying enough glass (and other ****) over my helmet that I had to replace the helmet from the damage sustained. I am glad that I was wearing a full face helmet that day, otherwise I may not have been here now.

Tags
hans