Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 1 Jul 2009, 09:27 (Ref:2494347)   #1
FFfan
Racer

FFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Knockhill FF1600 National Rounds 19 Jul

Just found out we are restricted to just 2 x 20 minute sessions on the Saturday afternoon at Knockhill. Friday is a private track day and Saturday morning 9am to 1pm is motorcycle testing. As we've never driven the place before this is not a good situation and we are now considering whether it is worth going or not as it's a very long way for us!! Spoke to BRSCC today and only a couple of entries so far. This could turn into another Pembrey situation if we are not careful which is not good for the series.

You have to ask why the National championship doesn't just stick to running at rounds that already part of either the MS or NW championships where a decent entry is likely and sufficient pre-event testing available?
Old 1 Jul 2009, 10:51 (Ref:2494401)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The idea of visiting the strong local bases of FF1600 racing is laudable enough, but I was never convinced it would work.

If a number of people were challenging for the title at this stage of the season I am sure a few would go, but that isn't the case.

Not totally clear on exactly how many FF1600 races there are at this meeting - I thought that Golden Helmet, Sir Jackie Stewart Trophy and at least one of the Irish championships was there too?
Old 1 Jul 2009, 11:08 (Ref:2494414)   #3
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a really difficult one this isn't it?

I think the organisers have made a really creditable attempt at creating a really challenging National Championship calendar but, like many of us, have been caught out by the recession. These dates were probably first mooted 12 months ago when things weren't quite so bad for many competitors.

Although the travel element, the greatest of any comparable championship, (see http://www.number66.net/how-much-tra...rsport-season/) is challenging to say the least we were certainly going to give it a go. I had a hotel booked until Monday.

The problem is that business has got worse and like many others we've had to prioritise our spending. We've already cut out pre race testing at circuits we know and now sadly we won't be making the trip.

I hope it goes ahead though and it looks like a brilliant circuit, perfect for FF1600!
Old 1 Jul 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2494453)   #4
50-SIX
Racer

50-SIX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed that it is a long way, and understand that it is hard with such little testing. But if it is the lack of testing there that is the main reason don't be put off. Knockhill is a good challenging circuit, mainly because you don't get a break round there as you are pretty much conastantly working. But I would say it doesn't take very long to learn at all. The only real difficult part is the chicane out the back where you have to take loads of right hand kerb (once some kind soul has wiped out the bollards!) so that when you take off you land with enough track left and at the right angle. Apart from that it is pretty easy to learn. I think 2 x 20min would be enough to get somewhere near it.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 17:55 (Ref:2494631)   #5
goughy
Racer

goughy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is all about lack of numbers. How many drivers are actually doing the National Championship-is it only about four?

Problem with the Scottish FF1600 championship is it’s something like pre-1992 only, so you cannot run within their championship. I believe the round at Combe is also standalone, but hopefully a few of the regulars will enter to make it a runner.

Been thinking a bit of the formula, we must have around 60 drivers competing regularly across the various championships (that’s just NW/MS). What about having just one Club Formula Ford Championship of all double header meetings based around Outlon, Silverstone, etc. James Beckets going to come along with his mega mini championships to take care of the other circuits and Combe does really well by itself.

I just think we are stretching numbers across the two championships when one series based around the circuits in the north/west and midlands could work well. No one wants to race in a championship of 12 odd cars which seems the norm in the MS championship at times and in the NW Post 89.

The idea of the National Championship is sound, but it’s between a rock and a hard place. In my eyes it needed to standalone, but it has never attracted the numbers (as the King of Kents series also failed). I’m sure part of the reason it was created was to act as a feeder to the British Champs, but were those potential links really built upon? Seem to recall when I first started racing in the NW champ's the winner got a Club F3 test and the runner up got a British Formula Ford test!
Old 1 Jul 2009, 19:02 (Ref:2494659)   #6
SCOBER11
Racer

SCOBER11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scottish FF1600 is open to any year chasis from the start of this season.
The Northern Irish FF1600 championship has a double header at Knockhill on the same date and speaking to the drivers last weekend i would reckon around the 15 mark will travel over.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 21:22 (Ref:2494741)   #7
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Latest on what's on, what testing is available and entry fee costs. I've got all this today after FFfan's call this a.m. Will try to get it on our two websites tomorrow.
You could even set off early Saturday morning as testing doesn't start until 2.00pm - saving another nights accommodation.

TESTING
Time Class Minutes
2.00 – 2.20 Formula Ford Group 1 20m
2.25 – 2.45 Legends & Minis 20m
2.50 – 3.10 Formula Ford Group 2 20m
3.15 – 3.35 Classics 20m
3.40 – 4.00 Formula Ford Group 1 20m
4.05 – 4.25 Legends & Minis 20m
4.30 – 4.50 Formula Ford Group 2 20m
4.55 – 5.15 Classics 20m
5.20 – 6.10 Formula Ford Open Session 50m

£60 in advance or £65 on the day for 2 x 20 mins.
£125 for 2 x 20 mins + the 50 min open session.
£75 for the 50 min open session only.

FFords may be able to test in both session 1 & 2 but this is not available for pre-booking, it will be determined on the day.

Call 01383 723 337 to book.

RACES

Here are the entry fees for the race meeting at Knockhill on July 19th. Club Formula Ford National FF1600 cars are to race with the Northern Irish
FF1600 championship, in two 12 lap races. Cost £180.

At the same meeting there is a non championship competition for FF1600
cars for the Sir Jackie Stewart Trophy. This usually has a big entry
and features a 10 lap heat (depending on entries we may run 2 heats or
the top 10 qualifiers go straight to the final) and a 15 lap Final. The
cost to your members to enter both their 2 Championship races and the
Sir Jackie Stewart Trophy is a very special £ 275 which represents
excellent value.

Your members should enter direct to our Competition Secretary Chris
Edwards, entry forms are on our web site
Any queries please contact me Chris asap.
chris.edwards@smrc-uk.com

I'm not sure how, or where the Golden Helmet fits into all this, but no doubt JEB will be along shortly.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 21:24 (Ref:2494742)   #8
Athgoe Racing
Racer

Athgoe Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It Rorys home track as well so it would suit the rest of the national guy if it was cancelled, but i agree 2x20min is not enough. Would be very difficult to get on rorys pace with that time on the track so rory will have a big advantage, but then he has 2 drop scores already this season.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 21:29 (Ref:2494743)   #9
Athgoe Racing
Racer

Athgoe Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry post was same time as diz extra 50 min so good track time now.
Old 20 Jul 2009, 09:40 (Ref:2504697)   #10
brakedisc
Racer

brakedisc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see some of the Irish making the effort to attend. A great pity that those taking part in the English National championship rather than the British National championship, did their usual and found any excuse not to attend. Great racing between Rory and Scott. I just hope that one of them wins the National series.
Old 20 Jul 2009, 10:31 (Ref:2504721)   #11
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakedisc View Post
A great pity that those taking part in the English National championship rather than the British National championship, did their usual and found any excuse not to attend.
Rant over?

The Club FF1600 National Championship is the most expensive in terms of travel of any comparable national series. This has been known for some time.

In the midst of the worst recession since the thirties it's just possible that some competitors who wished to compete at each round now find that they cannot.

Like everything else in motorsport, those who have the money compete, those who don't just have to wait until they've earned it, or can persuade someone else to fund them.

Fancy having Brakedisc Inc on the car for Mondello? I can do you a really good deal at the moment......
Old 20 Jul 2009, 11:10 (Ref:2504748)   #12
FFfan
Racer

FFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
Rant over?

The Club FF1600 National Championship is the most expensive in terms of travel of any comparable national series. This has been known for some time.

In the midst of the worst recession since the thirties it's just possible that some competitors who wished to compete at each round now find that they cannot.

Like everything else in motorsport, those who have the money compete, those who don't just have to wait until they've earned it, or can persuade someone else to fund them.

Fancy having Brakedisc Inc on the car for Mondello? I can do you a really good deal at the moment......
Agreed but we felt it only fair that we should go even though it was a 900 mile round trip for us. Rory has to travel those sort of distances most of the time. We made it as cheap as we possibly could. Only one set of tyres for the whole weekend (which we won back) and staying at the circuit and driving there and back as economically as possible rather than caning it and using more fuel.

I may be wrong but I think Scott was one of only 2 English drivers entered. Rory is very much "King of the Hill" there but at least we didn't let him have it quite all his own way and to his great credit he made us feel very welcome. It's great to Rory and Scott really pushing each other hard this year; no quarter is given on track but they get on very well off of it. I'd love to see them both go a lot further in the sport but in the end it will, I'm afraid, come down to wonga!!
Old 20 Jul 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2504776)   #13
brakedisc
Racer

"Fancy having Brakedisc Inc on the car for Mondello? I can do you a really good deal at the moment...... "

Would love to but would you do all the rounds or only the ones that are near to you? Why enter a national championship if you cannot afford to do all the rounds. The whole point of the championship is to bring together all the FF1600 series in the hope that the best driver becomes the champion. How many miles travelling did last years winner do?

"I may be wrong but I think Scott was one of only 2 English drivers entered." If this is correct that is a very poor show.

"Agreed but we felt it only fair that we should go even though it was a 900 mile round trip for us. Rory has to travel those sort of distances most of the time. We made it as cheap as we possibly could. Only one set of tyres for the whole weekend (which we won back) and staying at the circuit and driving there and back as economically as possible rather than caning it and using more fuel."

Well done and good luck for the Championship.
Old 20 Jul 2009, 12:15 (Ref:2504782)   #14
FFfan
Racer

Quote:
"Fancy having Brakedisc Inc on the car for Mondello? I can do you a really good deal at the moment...... "

Would love to but would you do all the rounds or only the ones that are near to you? Why enter a national championship if you cannot afford to do all the rounds. The whole point of the championship is to bring together all the FF1600 series in the hope that the best driver becomes the champion. How many miles travelling did last years winner do?

"I may be wrong but I think Scott was one of only 2 English drivers entered." If this is correct that is a very poor show.

"Agreed but we felt it only fair that we should go even though it was a 900 mile round trip for us. Rory has to travel those sort of distances most of the time. We made it as cheap as we possibly could. Only one set of tyres for the whole weekend (which we won back) and staying at the circuit and driving there and back as economically as possible rather than caning it and using more fuel."

Well done and good luck for the Championship.
Thanks Brakedisc Special mention & thanks should be made to Diz as well as championship co-ordinator who came up to support us having been at Rockingham the day before.
Old 20 Jul 2009, 21:21 (Ref:2505091)   #15
brakedisc
Racer

Special mention & thanks should be made to Diz as well as championship co-ordinator who came up to support us having been at Rockingham the day before"

I hope they are not put off with the attendance and continue their efforts for what is a great idea. Well done for making the effort and I hope you were refreshed with some of our local product.
Old 21 Jul 2009, 07:16 (Ref:2505240)   #16
FFfan
Racer

Quote:
Special mention & thanks should be made to Diz as well as championship co-ordinator who came up to support us having been at Rockingham the day before"

I hope they are not put off with the attendance and continue their efforts for what is a great idea. Well done for making the effort and I hope you were refreshed with some of our local product.
I know not everyone will agree with this but to ensure entries all rounds of the National series should count. However costs could be kept down by reducing the number of events from 8 to 7 and make them all double headers. Six of these rounds should take place at already scheduled NWFF1600 & MSFF1600 events including the one in the "middle" at Silverstone where all three series collide.

The Knockhill Speedfair event should be the 7th round. I think the BRSCC need to do a bit of a PR job here; because aside from the travelling time & distance this event was actually good value for money and a real showpiece. For £125 we had 90 minutes testing on Saturday afternoon (2 x 20 + 1 x 50) and you had the option of paying an additional £60 for 2 additional 20 min sessions but this made the timetable quite tight. Then on Sunday we had two seperate qualifying sessions (one for National & one for the Jackie Stewart Golden Helmet) and two National rounds plus a qualifying heat and final for the JSGH all for a combined entry fee of £275. Plus the FF1600 entry was excellent, over 40, although sadly lacking in English drivers!

We managed to do the whole event with just one set of new tyres, which we were fortunate enough to win back; we stayed at the circuit and brought our own food and barbeque. The event itself was a real showpiece and by far the biggest crowd I have seen at any meeting this year. As well as the circuit racing there was a Rally Stage and an Autotest and a huge exhibition of classic vehicles plus a brilliant festival party atmosphere throughout despite the changeable weather (Bright sunshine to wind and heavy showers in a matter of minutes).

Depending on where you were coming from you may even get away with staying just one night as practice for FF's didn't strat until 2pm Saturday although we chose to travel up Fri afternoon/evening and I'm glad we did as it was a great weekend.

Right Rory that's my promotion commitment fulfilled!!
Old 21 Jul 2009, 10:41 (Ref:2505356)   #17
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
speaking as one of the hard working orange brigade at the chicane (thanks to all visitors, hope you enjoyed our gravel traps ) i enjoyed it and i am not a great lover of f-fords, the racing in all classes was good and the competitors well behaved.

knockhill/smrc could work on this and if a full gridful of national class cars were to make the trip then the event could become the scottish classic car show/ scottish formula ford festival, imo if there was at least a dozen national class cars then there would be enough for races of their own as opposed to being in with the irish lads. okay it would mean dropping the legends but it would still allow for a full day meeting. the classic fans could enjoy the paddocks and the rally/ 2 smrc races while the f-fords could have a good days racing

it all comes down to numbers coming up and knockhill isnt a million miles away, the crews are friendly and imo the track is one of the best surface wise