Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 17 Jan 2003, 19:59 (Ref:477614)   #1
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Indy Racing League might not have an overcrowded pit road after all.

Boohoohoo!!!Waaaaaah!!!

IRL brings in bigger names -- not more

By Curt Cavin

curt.cavin@indystar.com

January 17, 2003

Instead of having too many cars for races, as IndyCar series officials projected last month, there may actually be fewer regulars than last season.

The commitment list compiled by The Indianapolis Star has 18 cars for the 2003 season, a list that likely will grow to 21 with the imminent confirmations of Sarah Fisher, Airton Dare and Buddy Lazier.

While the figure could still rise to more than 30, for which series vice president Brian Barnhart has planned, it seems the IRL is destined for about 24, fewer than the 26 that started last year's season-opening race at Homestead, Fla.

The IRL begins its eighth season March 2 at Homestead.

"We've had 33 applications for the Leader's Circle (financial aid) program," Barnhart said. "But we won't know the contenders from the pretenders before the end of the month."

Most team decisions hinge on finding sponsorship. But the usual period for landing such funding has passed, leaving several teams in limbo.

The money search is a more significant issue in the IRL this season as team budgets have doubled with the first wholesale equipment change in four years. The IndyCar series will have all-new cars, engines and gearboxes in 2003, pushing the price tag for being competitive in the 16 races to about $5 million.

It doesn't help that the world's economy is struggling.

At least a half-dozen smaller teams, including 2000 series champion Hemelgarn Racing, are in difficult financial straits as the season nears. Several key drivers are unemployed, too, including two of last year's race winners, Jeff Ward and Alex Barron.

"I'm not saying I won't find anything," said Ward, who won the June race at Texas Motor Speedway. "But I'm having to keep my fingers crossed."

"We're dressed up and ready to go," said team owner Ron Hemelgarn, who has Lazier in waiting. "But right now we don't have anything signed (with a sponsor). Money is as tight as I've seen it in my 25 years (of racing)."

Resigned to not having the sponsorship to compete are two high-profile teams: series original Treadway Racing and last year's No. 5 finisher, Blair Racing. Both are selling ancillary equipment.

Teams owned by Buzz Calkins, Billy Boat and Sam Schmidt are hoping for late sponsorship deals. Other committed teams such as Kelley Racing still hope to add an extra car (for Tony Renna), although there won't be the excess once expected.

The IRL averaged 24.6 cars at its non-Indianapolis races in 2002. Thirty-three cars traditionally start the Indianapolis 500 and Barnhart expects this year's entry list to again be about 40.

While the IRL might not improve its car count, it certainly has upgraded the quality of its teams. New for 2003 are Andretti Green Racing (drivers Michael Andretti, Dario Franchitti and Tony Kanaan), Team Rahal (with 1999 IRL champ Kenny Brack) and Fernandez Racing and second cars from Ganassi Racing (bringing Scott Dixon) and Mo Nunn Racing. All have been staples of the Championship Auto Racing Teams series in recent years.

"The problem is, they're just replacing the old IRL teams that can't make it anymore," said Ted Bitting, a former Treadway team member who is trying to start a new team. "I went through last year's (IRL contact) book and there's only like five teams left."

Actually, there are nine teams left that competed regularly with the IRL last year, but only six from 2001. The IRL lost Conquest Racing to CART in the off-season.

The Leader's Circle program is set up to assist 24 car-and-driver combinations. IRL president Tony George insists that in motorsports, only the strongest survive.

"We've given (teams) all the encouragement we can muster, but in challenging (economic) times it's the team that's best organized and best prepared that meets the challenges," he said. "Not everyone meets that criteria."
Old 17 Jan 2003, 20:10 (Ref:477625)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Although I feel badly for the teams that are folding and the people being put out of work, I gotta admit that something about that article makes me smile.

Wonder why their budgets doubled during the offseason?
Could it have something to do with the value of the yen?
Old 17 Jan 2003, 20:27 (Ref:477648)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brand new chassis, brand new engines, and a new level of professionalism is expected to take on the new teams.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 21:05 (Ref:477691)   #4
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, the small teams lost their sponsor ... IMS. Tony closed his check book. Instaed of dropping upwarsd of $100 M into the series, he is cutting back. Perhaps only $10-15 M to see that Sarah Fisher (woman), George Mack (black) and maybe some other favorite son gets a shot.

He has what he wants, the CART teams without CART. This year it is Pook who is dolling out $50 M. I can't say that this isn't what George wants, bcause I think this is exactly what he wants. Pook burns CART's cash, weakening his US presence, and George reloads the cash vaults.

The budgets doubled because this is the first year of new equipement. Everyone has to buy 2-3 chassis - can't just buy one and get a couple upgrade kits-, and the price of engines went up - need to either buy new ones (Penske, most of the Chevy guys) or lease them (new expense).

BTW, what does this have to do with CART?
Old 17 Jan 2003, 21:16 (Ref:477710)   #5
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sgw2
what does this have to do with CART?
it's IRL bashing, it has everything to do with CART.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 21:21 (Ref:477716)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
A turning of the tables.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 21:30 (Ref:477723)   #7
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So macdaddy, does that mean CART is now the "darkside", and Indycar is the "cars and stars"? Pook-fare replaces IMS welfare. Well at least it keeps OW shops open and gearheads employed.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 21:34 (Ref:477724)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
More like "a turning of the tables" on some of the CART-bashers and flamebaiters we've been tolerating all offseason.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 21:59 (Ref:477738)   #9
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sgw2
BTW, what does this have to do with CART?
What do you have to do with Champ Cars, is the real question.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 22:03 (Ref:477740)   #10
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART is not the Dark Side. Lord Sith George hasn't become a Jedi, as far as I know...

Quote:
Posted by Down FOrce
it's IRL bashing, it has everything to do with CART.
It's bad if we go over to the IRL board to criticise, and it's bad if we criticise the IRL in the CART board. But some certain members post CART-bashing here every now and then. I guess that's tolerable, right?

Last edited by Jordi; 17 Jan 2003 at 22:04.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 22:04 (Ref:477741)   #11
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is T.G telling us that the IRL wasn't worth a s**t last year, but thats all gonna change this year because the people who became uncompfortable in CART?
Old 17 Jan 2003, 22:07 (Ref:477743)   #12
norman-normal
Veteran

Have come over? (got distracted)
Old 17 Jan 2003, 22:44 (Ref:477767)   #13
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
But some certain members post CART-bashing here every now and then. I guess that's tolerable, right?
i never said it was.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 22:47 (Ref:477773)   #14
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pook won't be burning $50 mil in 2003.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 22:51 (Ref:477781)   #15
norman-normal
Veteran

"OUT DAMN SPOT!"
Old 17 Jan 2003, 22:55 (Ref:477783)   #16
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
i never said it was.
And I never said you said it.

We could go on for hours, couldn't we?
Old 17 Jan 2003, 23:22 (Ref:477813)   #17
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who cares about that series?

Isn't this the cart forum?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 17 Jan 2003, 23:34 (Ref:477828)   #18
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It just goes to show that the whole North American open wheel scene is quite ill.

Besides, this is a flamebait in the wrong forum.

Goodbye.