Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Apr 2003, 09:50 (Ref:581910)   #1
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari 360 power

The current Ferrari 360 GT, Ferrari built or Micaloto (SP, sorry), seems to have great breaks and adequate handling, but lacks power. The paddle shifting could be an advantage in a long race over the standard H pattern Porsche gearbox, and the 360 also has a bit of a tunnel under the car.

What it lacks is power from the V8. Porsche's flat six was running it down with ease on the banks of Daytona and things weren't much better at Sebring. Does anyone know if Ferrari has any developements on the engine coming for Le Mans? Le Mans, despite the chicanes, is still a power based track, and the 360s will be a bit out of their element there, perhaps the GT version of the 550 might be better suited with its V12.
Old 27 Apr 2003, 10:06 (Ref:581921)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They run the same car in the domestic Nations Cup here in Australia.. the car has power but is strangled by the size of the N-GT air restrictor
Old 27 Apr 2003, 15:01 (Ref:582107)   #3
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep definately is choked a bit. I think it was producing nearly 500bhp when it dosn't have the restrictors.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 13:42 (Ref:583785)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
And yet Ferraris have been pretty much cleaning up in N-GT so far; 1-2 at Barcelona at 1-2-3 at Magny-Cours, or something like that?
Old 29 Apr 2003, 16:30 (Ref:583991)   #5
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The cars being used in the FIA GT are the 2003 spec though. They have more power than the old 2002 spec, and I think some minor areodynamic changes. Id say that the Ferrari 360s are now on a parr with the Porsches at least, if not faster on the straights. And they defintly have a edge in the twisty stuff. Take Barcelona, ok it is a fairly twisty track, but its also a very fast track. It has what? 2 Big long main straights, and quite a few smaller ones. 2000 the Ferraris still had the edge on chasis but lacked power, 2001 they were almost on a parr, 2002 for some reason they seemed to lack performance. 2003 Well now a crack team TCM are running 2 cars and are doing a much better job than JMB.

With respect to the Ferrari 360 teams, but up until now there has only been "very good" teams running the car like JMB, now theres excellent teams ie TCM. Porsches have always had Excellent teams running them, ie Freisinger, AJR, The racers group, RWS etc. Still Le Mans wont see the best Ferrari 360s running in my opinon as the TCM cars arent there.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 05:03 (Ref:584553)   #6
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
They run the same car in the domestic Nations Cup here in Australia.. the car has power but is strangled by the size of the N-GT air restrictor
Irony being of course that despite talking down their chances this year, especially at Symmons Plains, Bowe and the PHR Scuderia team have won 3 of the 6 races so far.

I agree though, more power would definatly help it. Either that or homologate the 550 for N-GT.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 06:48 (Ref:584590)   #7
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even with TCM running a team at Le Mans, do you think aa Ferrari will be able to run faster than a porsche over 24 hours? The main thing about porsches is guaranteed reliablity and speed over the time.. Having said that, I guess Johnny Mowlen´s Modena fighted for the win in daytona with The Racer´s group porsche over the 24 hours...
Last year the GT ferraris were much slower than the 911´s at LM, any predictions? I will still bet for a GT3RS win this year
Old 30 Apr 2003, 09:23 (Ref:584717)   #8
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Javi

Last year the GT ferraris were much slower than the 911´s at LM, any predictions? I will still bet for a GT3RS win this year

agreed, there's something about that AJR line-up that says to me "will win class and be placed in the top ten overall no problem"
Old 30 Apr 2003, 12:39 (Ref:584957)   #9
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same to me, Osella, AJR´s lineup is so so impressive. The only driver line-up in GT that will try to match it will be JMB´s ferraris: borcheller, mowlen, lewis, kelleners... but AJR´s team is, to me, the ONLY favourite. They´ll get to the end in the top ten, sure.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 12:54 (Ref:584973)   #10
The Boot
Rookie

United States
Rochester, NY
The Boot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Risi deserves some credit for what they have done with their 360's so far. In four races they have two second places,a third place and at Sebring they were running third before the big shunt. With their experienced crew and driver lineup I wouldn't be surprised to see one of their cars on the podium come Sunday afternoon.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 13:12 (Ref:585000)   #11
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that the TMC boys could beat the AJR car, if they were there but they arent. Another team who SHOULD have been there but isnt is Freisinger, to me, Leib, Ortelli, Massen is a line up which u simply cannot beat for a Porsche.