Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 7 Jul 2008, 11:53 (Ref:2246250)   #276
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTTraces
Ther burning question is when it moves (OR IF) it moves to Donny, Will we still get the status Quo aftershow concert?
Donington are quite adept at putting on 'Rock shows',whether that will be of any use in early April 2010,I know not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTTraces
On a serious note to make It Viable at Donny the cost a new road infrastructure is huge! The millions needed to be spent would be staggering.
It's not so much the money as the time-frame.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 11:53 (Ref:2246251)   #277
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
Steve Carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's never going to happen and the British GP as we've known it wont exist after 2010 - except if BCE & Mosley drop off their perch before hand - one can wish I suppose
Old 7 Jul 2008, 12:33 (Ref:2246297)   #278
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=43288

Bernie is adamant that Silverstone will not see a F1 race again after 09, whether Donny is ready in time or not.

In that case Donington best be ready in time - otherwise we lose the British round entirely!

Anyone hoping that Bernie's reign comes to an end sooner rather than later - so that this madness can stop.

Harsh I know.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 14:42 (Ref:2246396)   #279
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The point of his right to be on the FIA board has been questioned,time will tell!.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 15:01 (Ref:2246413)   #280
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
All Bernie has to do is take a GP to the wrong country, even if it has the money, and he can be accused of supporting terrorism (even indirectly) with no way to prove otherwise, and nobody will want to associate with him afterwards.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 16:29 (Ref:2246483)   #281
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
North Korean GP?

GP of Lybia?
Old 7 Jul 2008, 16:45 (Ref:2246492)   #282
Pitlane Eddie
Rookie

United Kingdom
Devon
Pitlane Eddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We could always give EB his own little bit of Donington heritage. The toilets that are just inside the paddock next to assembly could be kept as original and assigned for his own personal use. You know, the three loos housed in a brick shed with no heating, one cold water sink and the communal water tank in full sight just above your head.
I can't see anyone else in the Paddock Club (where will that be?!!!) wanting to use them, though I've used them with no problem.

One major question is - where will the Marshals' Campsite be situated, because I doubt there will be room infield after everyone else has bagged their space? I know that the hotel/restaurant next door has a field that can take 115 smallish tents and another smally field that can accommodate 52 caravans/motorhomes/tents, but we are just a touche larger than that!
The surrounding countryside seems to be a tad hilly!
Old 7 Jul 2008, 17:01 (Ref:2246500)   #283
scoop
Rookie

scoop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This looks like 1999 all over again.
Only this time there does not seem to be a (currently) rich and gullible American company riding over the horizon with its pockets stuffed with dollars ready to receive a jolly good spanking at the hands of the people making the big deals.
How much did the Brands deal cost Interpublic/Octagon - wasn't it up around £150 million when the bean counters finally added it all up?
Old 7 Jul 2008, 17:26 (Ref:2246514)   #284
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitlane Eddie
We could always give EB his own little bit of Donington heritage. The toilets that are just inside the paddock next to assembly could be kept as original and assigned for his own personal use. You know, the three loos housed in a brick shed with no heating, one cold water sink and the communal water tank in full sight just above your head.
I can't see anyone else in the Paddock Club (where will that be?!!!) wanting to use them, though I've used them with no problem.

One major question is - where will the Marshals' Campsite be situated, because I doubt there will be room infield after everyone else has bagged their space? I know that the hotel/restaurant next door has a field that can take 115 smallish tents and another smally field that can accommodate 52 caravans/motorhomes/tents, but we are just a touche larger than that!
The surrounding countryside seems to be a tad hilly!
'93 Grand Prix Officials campsite was situated on the area outside the circuit wall just over the perimeter road from the Exhibition Centre.

(from the Marshals forum re Campsite commenting on security this year - Donington would be joke)

With the changes that will have to be made, my bet it will probably be under the glidepath at the end of the Airport runway !!!!
Old 7 Jul 2008, 17:40 (Ref:2246521)   #285
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Coverage in the press today is fairly pessimistic regarding the future of the British Grand Prix. I think Ecclestone has actually hung drawn and quartered the Donnington people who will end up paying him substantial damages for non performance and finally give him the chance to remove the British GP from the calender.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 19:09 (Ref:2246589)   #286
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitlane Eddie
One major question is - where will the Marshals' Campsite be situated, because I doubt there will be room infield after everyone else has bagged their space? !

http://www.downloadfestival.co.uk/_R..._dlmap1280.jpg

The above link shows the available land around Donington as used at the festival. I think there was as many folks at that as would be at a GP. Note also that NONE of the circuit area inside the perimiter wall was used.

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 7 Jul 2008, 20:40 (Ref:2246670)   #287
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
So why does Bernie hate his homeland so much?

Actually, I know what is a whole lot easier than my last idea. The government officials should hound him till Hell freezes over about this (if his intention is to drop the British GP) for being UNPATRIOTIC.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 21:10 (Ref:2246691)   #288
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Bernie doesn't hate his homeland. It just doesn't give him enough money. He wouldn't be whinging if the government was willing to prop the race up, as so many others are, because he'd get what he wanted.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 7 Jul 2008, 23:32 (Ref:2246775)   #289
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
So why does Bernie hate his homeland so much?

Actually, I know what is a whole lot easier than my last idea. The government officials should hound him till Hell freezes over about this (if his intention is to drop the British GP) for being UNPATRIOTIC.
To the Tower with him and off with his head !!!!
Old 8 Jul 2008, 00:29 (Ref:2246798)   #290
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Why don't we play devils advocate..Bernie has asked for upgrades many times over the years..Silverstone have said "no problem we were thinking of doing all of those things anyway" Years go by and nothing happens, I mean very little happens...Is it just about money? I don't think so......
Old 8 Jul 2008, 01:11 (Ref:2246811)   #291
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
It's money partly I would think, in two senses. The upgrades themselves would be expensive as hell, and since the BRDC (or anyone else who ran the place) would need to run Silverstone at a profit given the lack of public subsidies, it may not be practical to do the upgrades at all (upon detailed analysis, which always comes later it seems).

My point would by, what specifically NEEDS upgrading at Silverstone; nothing as far as I'm concerned and can actually tell.

Kind of OT, but it occurs to me that if they keep doing these glorified parking lots for F1 circuits they're going to run into some royal drainage problems eventually.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 07:45 (Ref:2246884)   #292
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know whether I posted the comment in this thread or another Donington thread somewhere else but I remember saying that Bernie's probably going to die soon, or something along the lines of that. Then someone else suggested that Mosley "drop off his perch". The way things are going with Mosley and his Nazism court case, he'll most definitely be out of his current job soon. I hope he is. And the way I see this whole subject, it's a lose-lose situation for fans in terms of Bernie flip-flopping with his decision.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 09:40 (Ref:2246958)   #293
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
It's money partly I would think, in two senses. The upgrades themselves would be expensive as hell, and since the BRDC (or anyone else who ran the place) would need to run Silverstone at a profit given the lack of public subsidies, it may not be practical to do the upgrades at all (upon detailed analysis, which always comes later it seems).

My point would by, what specifically NEEDS upgrading at Silverstone; nothing as far as I'm concerned and can actually tell.

Kind of OT, but it occurs to me that if they keep doing these glorified parking lots for F1 circuits they're going to run into some royal drainage problems eventually.
I reckon you're pretty much on the mark there- I'd bet that the BRDC and Bernie's aspirations on the standard Silverstone should reach as a venue probably might not be all that far apart- problem is, it looks as if the BRDC suspect that actually achieving that might not be financially viable on the income they get from holding the GP after Bernie's had his cut of the proceeds...
Old 8 Jul 2008, 09:45 (Ref:2246962)   #294
ford prefect
Racer

United Kingdom
Wellingborough
ford prefect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The more I think about this the more I conclude that this is a blessing for Silverstone. The circuit can now concentrate on other forms of motorsport without having to prop up the cost of a GP which surely doesn't make much money as a standalone event.

Bring back WTCC, get A1GP, Moto GP, World Superbikes and DTM. All of which would be better at Silverstone than Brands or Donington.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 09:53 (Ref:2246971)   #295
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilkeWannabe
The way things are going with Mosley and his Nazism court case, he'll most definitely be out of his current job soon. I hope he is.
Actually I fully expect him to win that battle and come away from it with a load of cash into the bargain.Such is life.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 10:08 (Ref:2246987)   #296
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
From reading the commentary in the press i think that contrary to BE's assertions that this is saving the British Grand Prix, most people now believe that this is the death of the British Grand Prix. Donnington has been handed the poison chalice and remarkably have accepted it.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 10:33 (Ref:2247005)   #297
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford prefect
Bring back WTCC, get A1GP, Moto GP, World Superbikes and DTM. All of which would be better at Silverstone than Brands or Donington.
Noooooooooooooooooooooo! The events you've listed are far better off at Brands (except Moto GP which seemed to be ok at Donington). From a spectating point of view Silverstone can't touch Brands.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 10:57 (Ref:2247020)   #298
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
Noooooooooooooooooooooo! The events you've listed are far better off at Brands (except Moto GP which seemed to be ok at Donington). From a spectating point of view Silverstone can't touch Brands.
may the British track wars now officially start,,,
Old 8 Jul 2008, 11:04 (Ref:2247027)   #299
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
Nothing to do with the distance from you to a circuit then Bert.

Jim
Old 8 Jul 2008, 11:17 (Ref:2247035)   #300
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
Nothing to do with the distance from you to a circuit then Bert.

Jim
Silverstone is only a couple of hours away - I go there for some clubbie races so it's not a question of distance (I'm heading off to Snetterton this weekend and Castle Combe the weekend after). I just don't enjoy spectating at Silverstone - the view is poor (very limited in terms of how much of the circuit you can see), you're a long way from the track and there are collosal fences in the way.
Closed Thread