Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 May 2004, 20:28 (Ref:959726)   #1
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Embassy British GP at the Crucible...

I've just finished watching 16 days of continuous, wall to wall snooker. Not a shot went by without seeing Embassy somewhere around the place. Goodness knows how many hours have been broadcast. Mentioned in the pre match chit-chat, commentators talked about being sat in the Embassy lounge etc etc. Can someone more clued (cued) up than me explain whether the tournament has an exemption such as F1 has secured on certain counts, or is it on borrwed time. To me the link between smoking and snooker halls is a little bit stronger than F1 and fag purchases, yet it all appears to be allowed and even encouraged.

Would Silverstone be under treat so often if the cars could run branded for 2 & 1/2 live hours of coverage each year? Don't get me wrong, I think motorsport should disassociate itself from smoking (three close family members have died of smoking related diseases), but I would like someone to explain the apparent double standard.
Old 3 May 2004, 20:39 (Ref:959736)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Snooker has a special excemption (a bit like F1). The deals for snooker sponsorship have been in place for years so they are allowed to continue until the conclusion.

F1 has been 'let off' too, more than most sports. If there is a double standard then F1 has been on the side that is advantaged too. Afterall the trackside adverts are still allowed to carry fag sponsorship until that seases too.

Last edited by Adam43; 3 May 2004 at 20:40.