Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Aug 2022, 15:28 (Ref:4121695)   #126
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I like that Masi is in the running for one of the McLaren seats. That is some out of the box thinking there!

Richard
I liked the Racer comments of next announcement will be Kyle Busch has signed for McLaren for $5 bucks and a bag of M&Ms
Old 3 Aug 2022, 15:44 (Ref:4121698)   #127
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My phone hasn't started ringing all afternoon over these shenanigans.

Honestly Otmar, I won't drive for you!
Old 3 Aug 2022, 16:09 (Ref:4121701)   #128
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Strikes me most people are misunderstanding the OP situation.

If Alpine's option expired midnight on 31 July, and he then signed elsewhere on 1 August - then he isn't free to accept an Alpine offer on 2 August whether he wants to or not.
Give Alpine a call and tell them that.
Old 3 Aug 2022, 16:25 (Ref:4121705)   #129
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
cant exclude the possibility that Oscar's tweet was just a bargaining ploy aimed at extracting more money or more assurances from Alpine about the level of support he set to receive etc etc.

all of this has a Flavio Briatore school of talent management playbook feel to it.

of course dont know the full story and i was just getting back to liking Alonso again but it must be asked why is it always such a dumpster fire when Alonso leaves a team?

cant just all be a coincidence can it?
Old 3 Aug 2022, 19:50 (Ref:4121717)   #130
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso is just ruthless; If you screw me, I screw you harder.
Old 3 Aug 2022, 23:29 (Ref:4121722)   #131
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seen a report from ESPN Brasil of all places that suggests Piastri has a reserve driver role with McLaren for 2023, and then takes Ricciardo's seat for 2024. None of the other ESPN sites seem to be running with this story, though.

https://www.espn.com.br/f1/artigo/_/...rra-bastidores
Old 4 Aug 2022, 02:23 (Ref:4121732)   #132
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
With the compulsory mid-season break coming up, I guess we'll either see a minor flurry of announcements about 2023 drivers in the next couple of days, or nothing for a few weeks.
If there are legal arguments taking place, a few weeks (or even longer) seem more likely.

Last I heard, there were a couple of teams trying to find Greem's number - watch this space!!
Old 4 Aug 2022, 02:56 (Ref:4121733)   #133
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
I think the thing everyone needs to know is (Sorry to McLaren for leaking)

Mclaren are about to release the worlds first 7 seater hypercar (codename "program Rapid Transit!".
As part of the promotion they are building an F1 version and it will have 7 drivers in each car. So they have signed everyone! Pics to come

Remember I didnt tell you this, alright?
Old 4 Aug 2022, 05:28 (Ref:4121736)   #134
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline View Post
Seen a report from ESPN Brasil of all places that suggests Piastri has a reserve driver role with McLaren for 2023, and then takes Ricciardo's seat for 2024. None of the other ESPN sites seem to be running with this story, though.

https://www.espn.com.br/f1/artigo/_/...rra-bastidores
I think it's been fairly obvious since DR's tweet saying he was staying for 2023 that there was really very little chance of him actually staying for 2023.
Old 4 Aug 2022, 05:58 (Ref:4121739)   #135
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think it's been fairly obvious since DR's tweet saying he was staying for 2023 that there was really very little chance of him actually staying for 2023.
Yeah.They are the words out of every club officials mouth just before they sack the coach.
Old 4 Aug 2022, 06:37 (Ref:4121740)   #136
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
cant exclude the possibility that Oscar's tweet was just a bargaining ploy aimed at extracting more money or more assurances from Alpine about the level of support he set to receive etc etc.

all of this has a Flavio Briatore school of talent management playbook feel to it.

of course dont know the full story and i was just getting back to liking Alonso again but it must be asked why is it always such a dumpster fire when Alonso leaves a team?

cant just all be a coincidence can it?
Talking of Flav. Didn't he used to be Alonso's manager? (I wonder if he still has any involvement/influence?)
Old 4 Aug 2022, 07:29 (Ref:4121744)   #137
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Albon staying at Williams is a no brainer. He's been very good for them this season and the last thing he wants is to be back on the sidelines again
Old 4 Aug 2022, 08:32 (Ref:4121751)   #138
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Albon staying at Williams is a no brainer. He's been very good for them this season and the last thing he wants is to be back on the sidelines again
Shame to see Albon stuck in the rear of the field for another year honestly. He got a rough cut with RB, I'm not sure hes necessarily a Ferrari, RB, Merc level driver currently, but put him in an Alfa or Alpine and I'd think he'd match the likes of Bottas or Ocon in the same machinery.
Old 4 Aug 2022, 09:28 (Ref:4121764)   #139
GusGasfuss
Racer

Germany
Ravensburg, Germany
GusGasfuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Shame to see Albon stuck in the rear of the field for another year honestly. He got a rough cut with RB, I'm not sure hes necessarily a Ferrari, RB, Merc level driver currently, but put him in an Alfa or Alpine and I'd think he'd match the likes of Bottas or Ocon in the same machinery.

Too many talents on fire, and too many "old" champions staying...

And i believe, most team bosses waiting for the ultimate driver available, as this doesn't contribute to teams budget limit. Maybe "cheapest" way to develop more speed.

And to be honest: Albon isn't the "real rocket" - but a definitely talented driver, who could help a team like williams.
Maybe even more, if there is a challenge for Albon in the second car...
Old 4 Aug 2022, 12:07 (Ref:4121773)   #140
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Albon got as fair a deal as anyone has at Red Bull and quite a lot of time, but it was early in his career and he didn't quite deliver. Pérez is at least closer to the world champion and occasionally ahead.
Old 4 Aug 2022, 17:37 (Ref:4121803)   #141
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGasfuss View Post
Maybe even more, if there is a challenge for Albon in the second car...
I can't remember, is Latifi mostly on the way out? What are the chances a McLaren contracted driver is placed in that seat?
Old 5 Aug 2022, 08:18 (Ref:4121847)   #142
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I did like Albon's cheeky tweet where he wrote what Piastri wrote, only with him confirming that, unlike Alpine, what Williams said was true!
Old 5 Aug 2022, 08:47 (Ref:4121850)   #143
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Its pretty clear what happened

1 - Alpine had til 31 July to confirm a drive for Oscar or he was a free agent, and by that time they had not signed him up 100%

2 - McLaren had decided they wanted Oscar a few weeks ago and entered into negotiations on the quiet. Oscar feared Alpine would either not have a seat for him or loan him to backmarker team like Williams so signed a contract with McLaren from 1st August

3 - After McLaren had locked in Oscar, Alonso dropped his bombshell without any warning. Neither Oscar Webber nor Alpine expected that.
Suddenly there was a surprise empty seat at Alpine

4 - Alpine announce Oscar will take the seat, thinking it was a formality as they had no idea about McLaren

5 - As Oscar had already signed for McLaren, he couldnt take the Alpine seat even if he wanted it.

So Oscar had no choice but go to McLaren

#SlidingDoors
Old 5 Aug 2022, 09:11 (Ref:4121852)   #144
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Sounds like the CRB has now ruled Alpine's contractual rights lapsed.
Old 5 Aug 2022, 09:28 (Ref:4121853)   #145
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Sounds like the CRB has now ruled Alpine's contractual rights lapsed.
And this makes the Alpine management seem totally incompetent.
Old 5 Aug 2022, 09:38 (Ref:4121854)   #146
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Yes it does. I hope that all feel suitably embarrassed/ashamed!
Old 5 Aug 2022, 09:42 (Ref:4121855)   #147
GusGasfuss
Racer

Germany
Ravensburg, Germany
GusGasfuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Maybe they were not used to Alonsos behaviour....they had negotiations with him, and it looked good, no evidence of other contracts...
So they didn't speak with Oscar, as they were sure, that they couldn't offer more than a test driver seat.

In this field of options and exit rules, it might be not easy to open and close all doors at the right time...
Old 5 Aug 2022, 09:51 (Ref:4121856)   #148
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Maybe they were not used to Alonsos behaviour....they had negotiations with him, and it looked good, no evidence of other contracts...
So they didn't speak with Oscar, as they were sure, that they couldn't offer more than a test driver seat.
If so, difficult to believe you would hire someone so incompetent and naive.

People are paid big bucks as they are supposed to know a lot better than that. Even if they promise to bring the Austrian sponsor.
Old 5 Aug 2022, 09:57 (Ref:4121859)   #149
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Quote:

In this field of options and exit rules, it might be not easy to open and close all doors at the right time...
They knew they could lose Piastri on 31 July.They should have known to protect themselves they had to sign Piastri or Alonso to a 2 year deal before that.
I would hope the post above talking about incompetent and naive is referring to Otto.
Old 5 Aug 2022, 10:29 (Ref:4121863)   #150
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
They knew they could lose Piastri on 31 July.They should have known to protect themselves they had to sign Piastri or Alonso to a 2 year deal before that.
I would hope the post above talking about incompetent and naive is referring to Otto.
Agreed. Piastri just protected his position, understandably.