Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Aug 2022, 23:31 (Ref:4122177)   #176
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
The situation in Ukraine renders any discussion of Kvyat moot. The FIA currently will not permit any Russian drivers to race (unless they quietly removed that rule).
Apart from the bloke that won in F3 at the Hungarian Grand Prix.

If the rule hasn't been reversed, there must loopholes.
Old 7 Aug 2022, 23:59 (Ref:4122181)   #177
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think any team F1 team would touch Daniil Kvyat given the optics. Even if he agreed to race under a neutral flag (which I think he has been critical of and might face backlash at home if he did) Plus I think there are local bans (UK?) that would stop him from racing in some locations regardless of what flag he uses. Plus, he had had plenty of opportunity to shine in F1 and really hasn't. Why bring him back again? I think the NASCAR deal is with a small team that is self sponsored (or uses small sponsors).

I know Buemi is a current RBR reserve, but I just don't see him coming back as a full time drivers. Same for Vergne. We keep talking about the wealth of young drivers being blocked by older/existing drivers. Why bring back drivers who were pushed aside years ago?

Related, someone should do the super license points analysis to see who might be eligible for a super license.

Richard
Old 8 Aug 2022, 03:44 (Ref:4122182)   #178
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Optus (Aussie telco) has just resigned Dan as an ambassador. I am choosing to believe that is a sign he expects to be driving for someone next year, others may think it signals other things.

Old 8 Aug 2022, 06:31 (Ref:4122183)   #179
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I don't think any team F1 team would touch Daniil Kvyat given the optics. Even if he agreed to race under a neutral flag (which I think he has been critical of and might face backlash at home if he did) Plus I think there are local bans (UK?) that would stop him from racing in some locations regardless of what flag he uses. Plus, he had had plenty of opportunity to shine in F1 and really hasn't. Why bring him back again? I think the NASCAR deal is with a small team that is self sponsored (or uses small sponsors).

I know Buemi is a current RBR reserve, but I just don't see him coming back as a full time drivers. Same for Vergne. We keep talking about the wealth of young drivers being blocked by older/existing drivers. Why bring back drivers who were pushed aside years ago?

Related, someone should do the super license points analysis to see who might be eligible for a super license.

Richard
For me, the thought of Kvyat coming back - yet again - borders on the absurd, even by F1 standards, Whatever his nationality.....
Old 8 Aug 2022, 07:00 (Ref:4122186)   #180
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
I doubt Kvyat is coming back again any time soon, although he is a much better driver than he is given credit for.

The claim was that he couldn't because of nationality which is not true at all.
Old 8 Aug 2022, 08:43 (Ref:4122196)   #181
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Kvyat might have wanted to come back this year, but it probably would have been his last. But he can find another series next season. Maybe he could find something like the DTM if they let him?
Old 8 Aug 2022, 13:00 (Ref:4122224)   #182
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I doubt Kvyat is coming back again any time soon, although he is a much better driver than he is given credit for.
Hmmm. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.
Old 10 Aug 2022, 00:03 (Ref:4122392)   #183
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see Danny requesting his redundancy package
Good for him.

Hope he ends up back at AP, seems like something closer to the front than the rest which are already taken.
Old 10 Aug 2022, 07:26 (Ref:4122402)   #184
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alpine are taking Piastri to court, to claim the money back that they invested in his career.

If I was Piastri's legal adviser I think I'd be changing "the value of your investment can go down as well as up" today.

I guess it all depends on the various contracts he's had and whether any repayment clauses still apply. I would surmise that once a contract expires, any repayment clauses end - or the contract hasn't actually expired in the first place. Either way, a lot of dirty washing could be aired in public soon although I expect a deal will be done quietly. If this does come to court then we'll all get a glimpse of the way things are.
Old 10 Aug 2022, 14:06 (Ref:4122434)   #185
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder what jurisdiction the court case will be held in if it even gets that far. From the commentary I have seen and all the expert fans offerings no one outside those involved know anything about anything. Where do I find information that is based on fact, have Alpine announced court action?
Old 10 Aug 2022, 14:21 (Ref:4122438)   #186
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
High Court in London - if it gets that far:

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sp...ss-2022-08-08/
Old 10 Aug 2022, 21:25 (Ref:4122464)   #187
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I thought part of the teams agreement was that they had to accept rulings from the FIA and weren’t allowed to go to other legal remedies.Threat of exclusion from the Championship if they did.
Old 10 Aug 2022, 22:09 (Ref:4122471)   #188
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
I thought part of the teams agreement was that they had to accept rulings from the FIA and weren’t allowed to go to other legal remedies.Threat of exclusion from the Championship if they did.
I doubt contracts would be legally covered by FIA decisions, team affairs and rulings of the FIA would make sense but the team signing a driver to race for their team and then assigning them to F1 vs other series or a driver saying well if I can't race for another I'm not racing would appear be a bit out of the FIA's purview other than determination of Super License status. Teams have deals based on driver x in car, without driver x in the car and his attached personal sponsors paying in as well they would have remedy to recover expenses in violation of the contract terms.
Old 10 Aug 2022, 23:00 (Ref:4122475)   #189
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I doubt contracts would be legally covered by FIA decisions, team affairs and rulings of the FIA would make sense but the team signing a driver to race for their team and then assigning them to F1 vs other series or a driver saying well if I can't race for another I'm not racing would appear be a bit out of the FIA's purview other than determination of Super License status. Teams have deals based on driver x in car, without driver x in the car and his attached personal sponsors paying in as well they would have remedy to recover expenses in violation of the contract terms.
Think of the agreement as being a gentleman's agreement not to air dirty laundry in public.
Old 11 Aug 2022, 01:00 (Ref:4122478)   #190
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Doohan to Alpine?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 Aug 2022, 01:49 (Ref:4122481)   #191
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Doohan might think he is ready but most wouldnt see it.
Danny Ric would be a much better bet
Old 11 Aug 2022, 03:36 (Ref:4122489)   #192
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Hot air, posturing, game playing.

This will play out behind closed doors. Deals will be done - Piastri to McLaren, Ric to Alpine, maybe Mick Doohan gets Piastri's role, McLaren will pay off Ric, less what he will get from Alpine. All we will know for sure is what we see in the resulting press releases.

Old 11 Aug 2022, 03:57 (Ref:4122490)   #193
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Doohan 9th in f2 with only 2 wins, but its only his 1st year.

He might have the right stuff (he certainly has a pedigree) but its too soon. He needs another year or two "apprenticing"
If he was somehow to land a drivers seat in f1 next year and is not ready and up to speed/consistency it could ruin his career.

Like any ambitious youth, he needs to be patient and earn some stripes, make mistakes where fewer people are watching.

Would be crazy tho, if in all this somehow both Oscar and Dan end up unemployed and Doohan has a full time f1 seat!
Old 11 Aug 2022, 04:29 (Ref:4122491)   #194
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
No, I agree too soon for Mick, best he can hope for is OP's testing/sim/reserve role, but even that is a stretch.
Old 11 Aug 2022, 04:55 (Ref:4122492)   #195
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Doohan might think he is ready but most wouldnt see it.
Danny Ric would be a much better bet
This !!!!!
maybe 2024 for Doohan
Old 11 Aug 2022, 07:22 (Ref:4122497)   #196
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

It might be interesting to learn how many layers of companies are involved.Very often a driver is represented by a management company who undertake to contract with a driver services company to make the driver available.The driver may then have a contract with the driver services company and either may have individual sponsorship contracts.Goodness knows how many different countries might be involved,but some will be located advantageously for tax purposes.At what level might Alpine have agreed a contract?
Old 11 Aug 2022, 10:32 (Ref:4122517)   #197
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hopefully it gets sorted out away from the courts. The problem is it's not so clear cut. Drivers can always find a way out of a contract. I just think it's not worth it. I do wonder if Alpine haven't quite got the contract they thought they had with the likes of Ocon, Alonso and Piastri?
Old 11 Aug 2022, 13:15 (Ref:4122537)   #198
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this whole thing shows you the relationships teams and drivers have,

there is very little trust / respect / honour between them.

how a driver can have so much investment put into them and just walk away without any notification / interaction with the team is beyond me.

How the team can announce a drivers plans without any interaction / discussion with the driver escapes me.

How a seasoned professional driver can announce he's joining a new team without the professional courtesy to say 'negotiations are over, I've found another team' lets handle this together - I cannot grasp.

it feels very unprofessional for such a professional sport, no-one comes out of this looking good.

The moves are exciting, but this cannot be how teams and brands as big and professional as those involved, and sports people as seasoned and professional (surrounded by people with even more experience) conduct themselves.
Old 11 Aug 2022, 14:22 (Ref:4122543)   #199
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcym View Post

I have no experience in professional racing, but the above post is interesting in how there are expectation of how the professional relationship should exist between teams and drivers being completely foreign to the rest of the business world. Or at least my perspective here in the US.

But to your point, it comes across as something particularly toxic going on inside Alpine? I expect Piastri is rightly keeping his mouth shut as to "why" he ejected out of Alpine. But it would be interesting to hear his perspective. My guess is that if you look at the F1 driver market. It's hard to find seats in general for new drivers. And hard for anyone to get a seat in a mid-field or better team. So with the potential for a significant portion of a drivers career to languish in a team at the end of the grid (look at Russel's comments about him saying while his Williams experience was good, he was there too long) and watching their chance to move up evaporate over time, I can imagine why he might have been tired of waiting and being parked elsewhere without any REAL guarantee of a more significant drive at a later date.

Richard
Old 11 Aug 2022, 14:57 (Ref:4122545)   #200
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcym View Post

how a driver can have so much investment put into them and just walk away without any notification / interaction with the team is beyond me.

How the team can announce a drivers plans without any interaction / discussion with the driver escapes me.

How a seasoned professional driver can announce he's joining a new team without the professional courtesy to say 'negotiations are over, I've found another team' lets handle this together - I cannot grasp.

it feels very unprofessional for such a professional sport, no-one comes out of this looking good.

The moves are exciting, but this cannot be how teams and brands as big and professional as those involved, and sports people as seasoned and professional (surrounded by people with even more experience) conduct themselves.

Someone the other day posted a link of Peter Windsor talking about 'the moves,' and concluding with talking about the relationship between Ken Tyrrell and Jackie Stewart. (It is not mentioned, but I believe it was very much the same with Cevert). Different era.