Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 19 Nov 2022, 08:16 (Ref:4134214)   #1
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F1 Academy

F1 Academy: Formula 1 launches all-female championship

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/63675446

'Formula 1 has launched an all-female series aimed at helping women drivers progress through the motorsport ranks.

Named the F1 Academy, it will consist of five teams of three cars contesting seven events featuring three races.'
Old 19 Nov 2022, 14:01 (Ref:4134238)   #2
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This seems like a far more sustainable solution than W Series.
Old 19 Nov 2022, 14:09 (Ref:4134239)   #3
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
This seems like a far more sustainable solution than W Series.
They say it compliments the W Series. The end of the recent W Series season has meant that the future of that series' sustainability is in question.

I'm intrigued to see how both stack up.
Old 19 Nov 2022, 16:15 (Ref:4134260)   #4
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
They say it compliments the W Series.
IE anybody thinking of investing in W Series needs to remember the debts owed to creditors.
Old 21 Nov 2022, 12:07 (Ref:4134459)   #5
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
They say it compliments the W Series. The end of the recent W Series season has meant that the future of that series' sustainability is in question.

I'm intrigued to see how both stack up.
They say that, but the graphic they showed has F1A below F3, then feeding into F3, F2 then F1. W Series doesn't appear on the graphic.

Honestly, this seems like a better solution.
Old 2 Feb 2023, 18:39 (Ref:4142542)   #6
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The first F1 Academy driver announced is Léna Bühler.

She is 25 years old and has plenty of experience in Formula Regional.

Am I surprised? Not really...
Old 20 Feb 2023, 16:46 (Ref:4144280)   #7
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Will they bring Kate Legge and Pipa Mann? Fingers crossed!
Old 20 Feb 2023, 18:08 (Ref:4144290)   #8
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
More drivers announced:

* Nerea Marti, Abbi Pulling and Bianca Bustamante (former W Series).
* Carrie Schreiner (24 years old, plenty of GT3 experience).
Old 24 Feb 2023, 14:07 (Ref:4144788)   #9
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
2023 schedule:

* April 28-29: Red Bull Ring (P9 Challenge)
* May 6-7: Valencia (Nascar Euro Series)
* May 20-21: barcelona (FRECA)
* June 24-25: Zandvoort (DTM)
* July 8-9: Monza (WEC)
* July 29-30: Paul Ricard (standalone)
* October 21-22: Austin (F1)
Old 24 Feb 2023, 16:40 (Ref:4144806)   #10
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
* July 29-30: Paul Ricard (standalone)
* October 21-22: Austin (F1)
I do think its a bit weird to have a three month gap between the penultimate and final race meeting - it loses momentum and interest. Also, it doesn't aid drivers firming up 2024 programmes with the outcome of the championship potentially undecided for such an amount of time.
Old 25 Feb 2023, 18:24 (Ref:4144897)   #11
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
I think it's even more weird to have overseas races. It increases costs unnecessarily.
Old 25 Feb 2023, 18:46 (Ref:4144901)   #12
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
I think that whole calendar is weird.

- It's called F1 Academy, but it spends most of the year not with F1
- Overseas is expensive
- Stand-alone event? Why?
- Too big an end gap

Just make it an F1 support series for half the European events.
Old 25 Feb 2023, 20:19 (Ref:4144913)   #13
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

- Overseas is expensive
- Too big an end gap

Yes, assumed it would take some of the defunct W dates. Seems weird but I guess it's money somewhere along the line.
Old 25 Feb 2023, 22:51 (Ref:4144929)   #14
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:

- Overseas is expensive
- Too big an end gap

Probably to give W series a lifeline if it can pull itself up.
They've creamed off a few of the W drivers who have some real promise.
But the cost will be phenomenal.
If they had made the series a support class for the NZ Toyota regional series the girls would have a five round series with 3 races in five weeks and the focus or attention of the entire globe because there's nothing much else happening at that time.

Then give them three races in Bahrain during F1 testing and three races at the Bahrain GP as a support class and they have had 21 races and the year is just starting!
All at a fraction of the cost the present program will cost.....
Old 26 Feb 2023, 03:59 (Ref:4144943)   #15
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Probably to give W series a lifeline if it can pull itself up.
They've creamed off a few of the W drivers who have some real promise.
But the cost will be phenomenal.
If they had made the series a support class for the NZ Toyota regional series the girls would have a five round series with 3 races in five weeks and the focus or attention of the entire globe because there's nothing much else happening at that time.

Then give them three races in Bahrain during F1 testing and three races at the Bahrain GP as a support class and they have had 21 races and the year is just starting!
All at a fraction of the cost the present program will cost.....
Why on earth would they want to give W Series a lifeline?

Though maybe W Series has a contractual hold on dates, in the event they pay their bills or similar.
Old 3 Mar 2023, 12:42 (Ref:4145597)   #16
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Alessio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

- Overseas is expensive
- Too big an end gap

For that first point - sure, but I can see it being a positive (possibly - very unlikely, though). It might be good for the NASCAR Euro Series et al to have "F1" on it's support card. I know they don't struggle for numbers at Brands Hatch or Vallelunga, but elsewhere it might help.

For the second point - I imagine there's a well organised freight route for F1 and its support series for Austin. It might not add much of a cost beyond flying drivers and personnel out and an extra £1000ish (however much a ticket to Texas costs) isn't 'massive' when your annual budget is somewhere in the region of £75,000-£100,000. There's also a hell of a lot of 'W' drivers in North America and the money/interest is plentiful over there.

Bare in mind there is more to motorsport than Europe alone. Running elsewhere gives opportunities in a lot of other roles too, and the rest of the world deserve that opportunity imo - plenty of options for Europeans elsewhere. The US is too, but it's near enough for Mexicans or even Argentinians to make their way over at least.

Agree with the overall sentiment though...

In a positive context, I'm excited to see how Bustamente does. I didn't think much of her when she started in W Series last year, but she's made a lot of strides forward in the off-season.

Last edited by Alessio; 3 Mar 2023 at 12:47.
Old 3 Mar 2023, 15:59 (Ref:4145627)   #17
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Maite Cáceres has been signed by Campos! My best wishes for her

She is the sister of one-time Champ Car driver Juan Ignacio "Fufy" Cáceres, and daughter of Punta del Este Grand Prix / ePrix promoter Fernando Cáceres.
Old 13 Mar 2023, 13:27 (Ref:4146914)   #18
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Megan Gilkes (22 years, 6th in 2022 GB4) has joined the series.
Old 16 Mar 2023, 05:55 (Ref:4147244)   #19
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it seems it's W Series 2.0
Not very impressive line-up...
Old 16 Mar 2023, 08:16 (Ref:4147249)   #20
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulahistory View Post
it seems it's W Series 2.0
Not very impressive line-up...
That's the point? It's a feeder series to F3. It's F4 level. F4 levels are never impressive line-ups.
Old 25 Apr 2023, 18:19 (Ref:4152984)   #21
v8supes
Racer

v8supes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL is it true that theres no TV/streaming coverage of this? Thats what Twitter suggests.

Seems really weird to give it the F1 name and then effectively hide it away?
Old 25 Apr 2023, 20:20 (Ref:4153000)   #22
rika
Racer

rika should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8supes View Post
LOL is it true that theres no TV/streaming coverage of this? Thats what Twitter suggests.

Seems really weird to give it the F1 name and then effectively hide it away?

No that would not be weird at all I think?
Becuase that is exactly waht they do with F1 too, no?
They do everytihing possible to hide it awa from the fans, right?

If I can not find a pirate stream I can not see it, just because they hide it.

It was on regular TV not so long ago, but not now.

Right?

So if F1 Academia does that too then that is a sign that they are just like F1 too!
Old 28 Apr 2023, 18:09 (Ref:4153380)   #23
v8supes
Racer

v8supes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rika View Post
No that would not be weird at all I think?
Becuase that is exactly waht they do with F1 too, no?
They do everytihing possible to hide it awa from the fans, right?

If I can not find a pirate stream I can not see it, just because they hide it.

It was on regular TV not so long ago, but not now.

Right?

So if F1 Academia does that too then that is a sign that they are just like F1 too!
Yeah, fair enough, i can see that logic but i guess you at least have the option to watch the F1 if you wish. With this you dont even have the option. Your point is valid though.

Anyway, all 3 Carlin cars were disqualified from qualifying for running non homologated parts from other F4 series. Carlin said it didnt bring about a performance gain and that they accept that they made a mistake.

Again, i find it weird that the series would have their own specific parts homologated rather than just use the same F4 parts as most of the other F4 series.
Old 28 Apr 2023, 20:55 (Ref:4153409)   #24
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Again, i find it weird that the series would have their own specific parts homologated rather than just use the same F4 parts as most of the other F4 series.
How else do you think the FIA gets their investment back?
Old 28 Apr 2023, 21:26 (Ref:4153417)   #25
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
They are the same parts, but with the specific hologram etc., much as per F2 and F3.

(Too late to edit...)