Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Dec 2022, 10:24 (Ref:4136420)   #1
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ferrari in 2023 boom or bust?

I think that the last thing Ferrari needs after trying to climb back up, is another Italian political mess at the top, with new people coming and going.

Binotto had his issues, but I think it was wrong to force him out. No, I don't think it was wholly his own idea to resign.

I say bust.
Old 8 Dec 2022, 12:14 (Ref:4136436)   #2
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can.see the 2023 press release already " 2023 will be a year of rebuilding"....
Old 8 Dec 2022, 12:36 (Ref:4136441)   #3
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Ferrari will be solidly in the top 3 of the WCC.

1st, 2nd or 3rd I would not care to predict as there are too many variables really! It obviously depends on how well Red Bull and Mercedes perform by comparison, assuming that these are very likely to be the top 3 WCC teams barring some revelation from the likes of Alpine or Aston Martin.
Old 8 Dec 2022, 13:24 (Ref:4136451)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Ferrari need a proper leader as team manager. Someone who can cope with the pressure and isn't afraid of making tough decisions. The problem is, who is that person?
Old 8 Dec 2022, 14:02 (Ref:4136463)   #5
tocatrucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Lane 1 of the A1M
tocatrucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thet have never filled the Jean Todt-shaped hole since he left. A decision-maker with definitive authority. I'd be looking at various Endurance-racing team bosses who can./could do it.
Old 8 Dec 2022, 18:49 (Ref:4136500)   #6
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
I think Ferrari will be solidly in the top 3 of the WCC.

1st, 2nd or 3rd I would not care to predict as there are too many variables really! It obviously depends on how well Red Bull and Mercedes perform by comparison, assuming that these are very likely to be the top 3 WCC teams barring some revelation from the likes of Alpine or Aston Martin.

I think you might be correct they will start strong, as Binotto's technical leadership will linger a bit longer. Then I suspect they will slide into a morass.
Old 8 Dec 2022, 21:32 (Ref:4136513)   #7
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocatrucky View Post
Thet have never filled the Jean Todt-shaped hole since he left. A decision-maker with definitive authority.
Sounds like Fred!
Old 9 Dec 2022, 05:31 (Ref:4136532)   #8
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Sorry to be "that" guy but I'm just wondering why we need a 2nd Ferrari thread? Posts are valid enough but would fit just as well in the "honey we need to talk...." topic on Ferrari wouldn't they?
Old 9 Dec 2022, 12:24 (Ref:4136565)   #9
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Sorry to be "that" guy but I'm just wondering why we need a 2nd Ferrari thread? Posts are valid enough but would fit just as well in the "honey we need to talk...." topic on Ferrari wouldn't they?

I think that thread title might be a tad bit obscure, as I didn't get what it was about. This one is quite clear.
Old 9 Dec 2022, 19:09 (Ref:4136606)   #10
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
I agree. Maybe mods can merge? Maybe a more all encompassing title might help as well.

Richard
Old 10 Dec 2022, 09:33 (Ref:4136676)   #11
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't think one man is capable of bringing about the change necessary to become consistent winners.This week we have had Gunther Steiner telling the world that the engine ought to be great,and he might be right,but the others haven't been sitting on their hands.Additionally,if we look back eleven months or so,Ferrari had a very strong package and proceeded to squander the advantage it gave them.Short of closing the whole place and moving it to somewhere between Milton Keynes and Reading its hard to see significant changes occurring.
Old 10 Dec 2022, 13:34 (Ref:4136690)   #12
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
I don't think one man is capable of bringing about the change necessary to become consistent winners.This week we have had Gunther Steiner telling the world that the engine ought to be great,and he might be right,but the others haven't been sitting on their hands.Additionally,if we look back eleven months or so,Ferrari had a very strong package and proceeded to squander the advantage it gave them.Short of closing the whole place and moving it to somewhere between Milton Keynes and Reading its hard to see significant changes occurring.
I am sure Ferrari have already drafted the Blah blah blah 2023 will be a year of consolidation and building....Leclerc must be spewing - where would he go? Audi is my bet
Old 11 Dec 2022, 04:40 (Ref:4136752)   #13
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
I don't think moving it to Reading would help any more than when the design office was moved to the UK.
The problems aren't on the shop floor in spite of Binotto's apparently ambivalent leadership.
He had a process in mind and was consolidating growth step by step.
Yes, there were apparent failures, but we don't really know what was going on.
There is no doubt he was protecting some individuals, but the heads will roll style isn't going to build a cohesive team.

As far as boom or bust is concerned I think 2023 will start with a competitive top three team's car but there will be a collapse three or four races in and morale will sag.
Old 11 Dec 2022, 07:35 (Ref:4136758)   #14
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasDavour View Post
I think that thread title might be a tad bit obscure, as I didn't get what it was about. This one is quite clear.
A quick read of the first few posts in the Ferrari thread makes it clear what the thread is about.

What is the intent for this thread in terms of a different subject?
Is this thread intended to be a discussion about the 2023 engine (as the title would suggest) or Italian politics (as the first post might suggest)?
Old 11 Dec 2022, 09:09 (Ref:4136760)   #15
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
I don't think moving it to Reading would help any more than when the design office was moved to the UK.
The problems aren't on the shop floor in spite of Binotto's apparently ambivalent leadership.
He had a process in mind and was consolidating growth step by step.
Yes, there were apparent failures, but we don't really know what was going on.
There is no doubt he was protecting some individuals, but the heads will roll style isn't going to build a cohesive team.

As far as boom or bust is concerned I think 2023 will start with a competitive top three team's car but there will be a collapse three or four races in and morale will sag.

This is kind in line with my thinking as well. Binotto actually had a development plan for the team, and the last few seasons they have been moving upwards. I think they will start strong and then flounder.
Old 11 Dec 2022, 09:11 (Ref:4136761)   #16
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
I don't want a long metaconversation. If the mods feel like merging the threads, go ahead. I personally felt a threat about how Ferrari will fare in the post-Binotto era might be fun. If that other thread encompass that, merge away.
Old 12 Dec 2022, 11:31 (Ref:4136863)   #17
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have raised this issue before - but deeper down than just top management - is Ferrari disadvantaged by the cost cap?

Majority of the know how and knowledge is in UK - so trying to hire competent staff from UK might come at a higher salary as it is a big change to move to a different country, especially if said employee has a family/well established life in UK. And as employee salaries are featured into the cost cap , Ferrari will be hurt on the car development side if they hire from UK(unless they can save money on catering - you never know :P)

Sometimes is a 2 way street - you need competent management but you also need the workforce to pull through and support management. Ferrari's issue could be lower down the ranking thus making it difficult for any team principal/manager to sort out this issue
Old 12 Dec 2022, 12:24 (Ref:4136870)   #18
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
That did work quite well! They were only set back when their star designer was lured to Benetton temporarily.

Naturally Barnard claims credit for laying the foundation for the successful series of Brawn-Bryne V10 cars with his original F310!

Regardless, during the intermediate slump when they were sans-Barnard, Ferrari felt that firing Alain Prost would help matters which was a curious view!
Old 13 Dec 2022, 09:22 (Ref:4136976)   #19
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
So, Vasseur is in as team principal, from Alfa Romeo.

Unless he is given full power to shake things up, I do wonder whether anything will significantly improve.
Old 13 Dec 2022, 09:41 (Ref:4136980)   #20
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Remind me - when was the last time a French chap was at the helm of the Scuderia?
Old 13 Dec 2022, 15:30 (Ref:4137034)   #21
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Remind me - when was the last time a French chap was at the helm of the Scuderia?
And as a said in the other thread, he too came in as an outsider. So maybe this will work too.
Old 13 Dec 2022, 15:43 (Ref:4137040)   #22
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
is he an outsider tho? he comes with plenty of current F1 experience and from the Ferrari sister team.

i would suspect he is well versed in how to navigate the Ferrari political landscape.

have high hopes that this works leaving the big remaining question of how long will it take? he joins a better equipped Ferrari team then Todt had joined so hopefully that shortens the improvement time?
Old 13 Dec 2022, 17:42 (Ref:4137055)   #23
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
And as a said in the other thread, he too came in as an outsider. So maybe this will work too.
Tidy came “tooled up “ Brawn, Byrne, Stepney and later Schumacher. They were all one unit - one out all out so they where fire proof during the dark days. Vasseur is on his own apart from support from Leclerc
Old 14 Dec 2022, 09:56 (Ref:4137113)   #24
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
That did shake things up a bit didn't it? I don't know much about Vasseur, and while he is not Italian and comes from the outside, will he get the freedom to steer the team? I still think it's a bust for 2023, but maybe it wont be free fall in 2024 like I first expected.
Old 14 Dec 2022, 10:32 (Ref:4137125)   #25
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Tidy came “tooled up “ Brawn, Byrne, Stepney and later Schumacher. They were all one unit - one out all out so they where fire proof during the dark days. Vasseur is on his own apart from support from Leclerc
Eh? Brawn and Byrne didn't come till a year after Schumi went there!