Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jul 2022, 11:40 (Ref:4120729)   #1
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Sebastian Vettel retires

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ve...344461/?nrt=54

Confirmation that four-time champion Sebastian Vettel will retire from Formula 1 at the end of the season. This will be a huge loss for Formula 1, as it is always a shame to lose someone who has had a long and successful career, but Vettel in particular is one of the all-time greats and is also probably more passionate about the sport than any other driver on the grid, as shown by his ability to name all the champions since 1950.

For me, his best moments in Formula 1 have been his brilliant first win in Monza 2008 for Toro Rosso, and his third World Championship in 2012 with Red Bull despite the incident at the start of the Brazilian Grand Prix which damaged his car and put him to the back.
Old 28 Jul 2022, 11:49 (Ref:4120730)   #2
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Lovely guy but I’m not sure he’ll go down as an “all-time great!”
Old 28 Jul 2022, 12:12 (Ref:4120735)   #3
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Statistically he's top five.
Old 28 Jul 2022, 12:13 (Ref:4120736)   #4
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
4 wdc and came close a couple more times
3rd most wins ever
he would have more of each if his cars had of been better.

i would put him up there
Old 28 Jul 2022, 12:15 (Ref:4120737)   #5
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
soooo.... now we have an empty seat in a decent mid field team, and if latify is let go an empty seat at back marker williams.
might be 1 or 2 more before rd1 2023

"I officially declare the 2022 Silly Season open!"
Old 28 Jul 2022, 12:23 (Ref:4120739)   #6
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
4 wdc and came close a couple more times
3rd most wins ever
he would have more of each if his cars had of been better.

i would put him up there
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Statistically he's top five.
True.
Old 28 Jul 2022, 12:55 (Ref:4120743)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A driver who I confess I disliked quite strongly when he was in his 'pomp but have grown to like considerably in the last few years. All time great? Perhaps the results speak for themselves.....
Old 28 Jul 2022, 13:19 (Ref:4120748)   #8
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I have mixed feelings about him. At first I thought he was quite unlikeable in his Red Bull and the early part of his Ferrari career. Multi 21, Baku 2017 & Brazil 2019 were particular low points. But at the same time his terrific results spoke for themselves, and demand respect.

Despite him not exactly being my favourite driver, his decline at Ferrari was very sad to see. When he crashed out of the German GP in 2018, it seemed to trigger something. The next 2 seasons seemed to be full of unforced errors or at the very least him cracking under the slightest pressure.

I think that leaving Ferrari released that pressure somewhat. Or perhaps he simply grew up a bit? I am not sure exactly what has changed. Now he come across (to me at least) as a genuine, humble and likeable bloke who I would love to go for a beer with. He still has speed, but a race winning drive is not available, so it makes sense to call it a day.

He loves his F1. I had forgotten until recently that he bought Mansells Red 5 championship winning Williams. Who here wouldn't love to be in a position to do something like that!

I never thought I would say this - but I think that I will miss him being on the grid.
Old 28 Jul 2022, 13:56 (Ref:4120753)   #9
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
A driver who I confess I disliked quite strongly when he was in his 'pomp but have grown to like considerably in the last few years. All time great? Perhaps the results speak for themselves.....
He's had exactly the same effect on me too
Old 28 Jul 2022, 14:30 (Ref:4120756)   #10
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When F1 drivers talk about why they are in F1, it almost always is about how it is viewed as the pinnacle. So they are climbing what they view as the tallest mountain. And there is nothing wrong with that. But Vettel also just seems to somehow also exude his love and knowledge of the sport in a way that seems a level above the rest. He comes across as that kid who dove deeply into the history, stats, etc. of the sport and in the end found himself in the mix of actually doing it and became a multiple WDC during his journey.

Given his knowledge, love and passion for F1, I hope he finds a place to continue his involvement.

Richard
Old 28 Jul 2022, 14:57 (Ref:4120759)   #11
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
easily a top 10 driver for me but honestly i respect the man more then the on track accomplishments!

will be sad to see him go but such is the way of sports.
Old 28 Jul 2022, 15:26 (Ref:4120761)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He’s my favorite.
Old 28 Jul 2022, 15:48 (Ref:4120763)   #13
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just for the sake of it:

The story behind what happened next shows some of his character.
Old 28 Jul 2022, 16:18 (Ref:4120767)   #14
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Vettel chose to spend two years in Aston Martin just because we wanted to race. I certainly respect that.

I can't believe some people think that four titles isn't enough to classify him as a legend.
Old 28 Jul 2022, 16:39 (Ref:4120770)   #15
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Just for the sake of it:

It had to be mentioned. This thread would be incomplete without that photo.

Richard
Old 28 Jul 2022, 16:51 (Ref:4120771)   #16
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Just for the sake of it:

Sorry, but what happened? I never followed that story.
Old 28 Jul 2022, 17:00 (Ref:4120772)   #17
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think that there are a number of sides to Vettel, some of which are not necessarily published. For example, when at Red Bull, he lived in or just outside Oxford, and on Friday evenings, when not a racing weekend, he would join up with a group of chums to play knockabout football (soccer) before going to the pub with them. He carried on with that even when he became a multiple WDC.

But whilst a Red Bull, it must be remembered that their cars were the very best of that period, much like the Mercs have been until just recently. The problem was that he wasn't then the greatest of overtakers, and there were races when, if not leading almost from the start, then he wasn't able to win - I seem to recall that Webber was often the one to benefit.
Old 28 Jul 2022, 17:24 (Ref:4120773)   #18
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Very dignified statement from SV, I think he will be like Rosberg and we will not see him in any other sort of race car again.
Old 28 Jul 2022, 17:43 (Ref:4120774)   #19
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
I also disliked Sebastian Vettel in his Red Bull days but since joining Aston Martin he has probably become the main driver I support in Formula 1 along with Mick Schumacher. Mainly because, as I said, he is the most passionate F1 fan of the drivers.

Whether or not he is an all-time great I think depends on how many drivers you classify as all-time greats. I would not put him among the top 10 greatest drivers of all time, but I would put him in the top 15, which I think is enough.

Also these deserve mentions for classic Vettel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlFt_W4664M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ECeVacI5Bc
Old 28 Jul 2022, 17:52 (Ref:4120775)   #20
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Sorry, but what happened? I never followed that story.
It was just a short sequence on the tv coverage.

A link to the highlights of it is here - https://twitter.com/i/status/850528724671807488

Red Bull described the events as:

'A set of very dedicated, but slightly orthographically-challenged, Sebastian Vettel fans had decided to tough out the session, and were proudly displaying a tribute to their hero from the stands, which the circuit's cameras picked up. There was only one problem…

Seb, with nothing better to do in the cockpit of his Ferrari than watch the FOM broadcast, was quick to point out his fans’ error, raising his index finger and thumb to the cameraman in his garage to complain about the missing ‘L’.

With the fans clocking their error and Seb's correction on the big screen, the banner was hastily amended (where did they get the spare 'L' from?) and, order restored, the supporters were treated to their idol's seal of approval…'
Old 28 Jul 2022, 18:08 (Ref:4120779)   #21
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it's very interesting that in the video that's been put out by Vettel & F1 that he said "retire by the end of the season" not "at" or "after".

His English is better than most of ours, so I think that was entirely deliberate.
Old 28 Jul 2022, 20:18 (Ref:4120790)   #22
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
His fluency in English is one of the things I have to respect him for.I hope he doesn't just disappear as I believe his viewpoint on all sorts of topics is worth taking note of.
Old 28 Jul 2022, 20:27 (Ref:4120793)   #23
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
what i enjoy about vettel is that like lewis, he's been through a learning experience very much typical of most of us millenials in his time in the sport. he started out at a point when humour and banter were totally different, and as he's grown up and built a family, he's understood his position of privilege. he's gone to activists and minority groups and asked how he can learn more and be an ally.

sign of a proper gentleman.
Old 28 Jul 2022, 22:26 (Ref:4120804)   #24
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I think it's very interesting that in the video that's been put out by Vettel & F1 that he said "retire by the end of the season" not "at" or "after".

His English is better than most of ours, so I think that was entirely deliberate.
Yeah, that feels like an opening for AMR to sign a guy to the seat or even move over to let a young kid in who might not get the full ride. Possibly the best way for Vettel to head off in to the sunset letting someone deserving but without the money get that taste.
Old 29 Jul 2022, 06:55 (Ref:4120816)   #25
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Like many, I struggled to like him when he was on top. Got a bit overbearing at times, but in recent years I've grown to like him. He's funny and has an awareness of a world beyond motor racing and stands up for what he believes in

As a driver he was really good. I'd say Fernando and Lewis were better, but he made the most of his opportunities. It went a bit downhill at Ferrari with the amount of errors which probably cost him a title or two, but he seems to found his feet again at Aston and his experience has been invaluable

Have a great retirement Vettel! You are a fine ambassador for our sport