Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Apr 2002, 13:49 (Ref:259941)   #1
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Errr..... Wasn't there a driver a couple of years ago called David Couthard??

OK OK, the McLaren car isn't their greatest. I'm not talking about that.

But so far this season, if you had to choose who was top dog, best driver at McL I'd have to plump for Kimi.

It seems that year isn't "mine" after all.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 13:58 (Ref:259969)   #2
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dunno I've never really been impressed with DC at all...except that one move he made on Schumi in the wet awhile ago....but did you know he is tied with Villeneuve for wins at 13???? Seems pretty pathetic since DC has been in a race winning car for the last 5 years or so.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:01 (Ref:259976)   #3
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO Coulthard's never been that brilliant. Three or four years he's had the best car, and he's done bugger all then. So his current performances don't surprise me.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:08 (Ref:259991)   #4
Tristan
Veteran

Kex, I quitley agree. But shhhhhhh!!!
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:15 (Ref:260003)   #5
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I've never thought that DC had what it takes to be WC. However, to give him his due, the question I qould ask is:

Wasn't there a great Mercedes engine two years ago?

Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:18 (Ref:260006)   #6
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To DC's defense, until the launch control problems last year at Monaco, he was the only man poised to take a shot at That German Fellow.

I may be totally wrong, but i'm going to guess that with the lack of grunt that Illmor is getting from their lump, that DC opted for a wet-wheather set-up hoping that if it did rain, his lack of power would not be such a disadvantage. He has had appalling luck this year. Kimi is certainly fast but I really don't think that you can say that the young Finn has the upper hand.

Yet.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:25 (Ref:260013)   #7
Tristan
Veteran

That's what people are saying about Monty: he went for a wet-dry setup. I guess it's feasible. We shall have to see.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:32 (Ref:260021)   #8
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Mclarens are simply way of the pace. Even with JPM's cronic understeer problems (see the other thread on Monty's career) he was able to stay comforably ahead of Kimi. I think Mercedes have spent to long resting on their laurels and have fallen behind the rest.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:33 (Ref:260022)   #9
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tristan: Either that or they can't hack Ralf or Kimi having the upper-hand over their supposedly superior team mates...

Last edited by Minardi fan; 14 Apr 2002 at 14:33.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:51 (Ref:260066)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Ilmor is not helping DC in his quest for race victories, but Kimi is also learning rapidly what it takes to be a McLaren driver, and DC is quickly going to become a subordinate to another Finnish driver if he's not too careful.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 15:05 (Ref:260103)   #11
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC's just heading to the end of a Mclaren career. Hakkinen is probably sitting at home with a huge smile on his face - since he's wisely taken a sabbatical while Mclaren fall behind the pack in F1.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 15:21 (Ref:260125)   #12
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mania,that is sad,but true.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 16:41 (Ref:260190)   #13
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sabbatical Mania? He won't be back, why would he want to return to a team only 4th in the championship when he has 2 WDC under his belt?
Old 14 Apr 2002, 16:44 (Ref:260194)   #14
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've never rated DC as a world championship driver. Yes he is one of the top drivers in F1, but he's only Top in around 50-60% of the races, which is nowhere near enough in modern F1.

If you look back at DC's career, I think you have to go back to Formula Ford for his last championship win. When he raced in F3 for PSR, the pattern was fairly familiar one - a few race win's & poles, but didn't put in a sustained performance to win the title - finishing runner up to, I believe, Barichello.

This pattern has followed him into F1 - which tell's me he's just not good enough to win the WDC - whatever car you put him in.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 17:24 (Ref:260223)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
when dc was being interviewed in the pit lane he got as far as saying he had massive understeer (just like jpm) and then all the sound went of and unfortunatly i can't lip read, so it's possible he gambled on set up also.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 17:47 (Ref:260241)   #16
Kenny W.
Racer

Kenny W. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Correct me if I'm wrong but..
This is still the first race Kimi has qualified faster, and the first race (excluding breakdowns) that he has been ahead.
Before the season started everyone said that Kimi would be better in some races. He has been impressive, but better??
Old 14 Apr 2002, 18:02 (Ref:260258)   #17
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ken,
Kimi was also faster than DC in Malaysia and was running ahead of him in the race before they both retired.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 18:04 (Ref:260259)   #18
Kenny W.
Racer

Kenny W. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't DC have a mechanical fault first?
Old 14 Apr 2002, 18:09 (Ref:260261)   #19
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he was the first of the two macs to retire in Malaysia, but Kimi had him under control.

Kimi has also had more bad luck this year with 3 mechanical breakdowns to DCs 2.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 11:00 (Ref:260836)   #20
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If experience and knowledge of the team/car are anything to go by, DC should be street's ahead, whilst Kimi finds his feet.

The fact that he isn't and that Kimi has slotted into the team where Hakkinen left off doesn't look good on DC.

When MH was his team mate he always had the fact that MH was Ron's favourite and had Newey on his car to convince himself he got a raw deal.

Now its a clean sheet and he's still behind his new team mate, some questions may be asked about his overall ability as a lead driver/title challenger for McLaren.

Forget about retirements, on paper DC has all the advantages over Kimi and should be showing him the way by some margin - but can't. Enough said........
Old 16 Apr 2002, 16:32 (Ref:262295)   #21
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3:1 to Kimi... it's not looking good.

On the other hand, things would be even worse for DC if the Mclaren was capable of winning races this year. People don't really notice if you're scraping for 5th and 6th, but if it was Kimi on the top step and DC always getting 2nd (as usual ) he'd be a dead cert to make some room for Mika.

At the moment most people just blame the car and don't look at the results.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"