Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 21 May 2010, 11:55 (Ref:2695335)   #26
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post

I always have a feeling the day after Le Mans that you kinda fall into a deep black hole.
Don't I just! But then begins the long slow wind up till the next one
Old 21 May 2010, 12:35 (Ref:2695366)   #27
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
I always have a feeling the day after Le Mans that you kinda fall into a deep black hole.
There is a strange flatness that's almost melancholy to the immediate post Le Mans period. For me it starts with the last couple of hours unwinding and then post finish especially striking camp and looking out over the empty race track - a lot like the end of "Grand Prix" with James Garner strolling over a deserted litter strewn Monza.

It doesn't last though. The drive up through France, especially if the weather is kind to us, does a lot, as does a decent meal on Sunday evening. Then there's digging through the DSC rapportage and nosing through fora to figure out what actually went on. Then there's the revisiting of the RLM commentary in the car, the prospect of the ALMS season ramping up, the later summer LMS, and there's Silverstone in September, and PLM to look forward to, and then we're practically counting the days to the next year.
Old 21 May 2010, 13:01 (Ref:2695385)   #28
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
The test weekend , cant rightly remember the year .

There was an accident with a WR just after Arnage . As there was no RLM for the test weekend , I asked a marshall what had happened . He told me that the Pilot Ferrari 333SP had blown its engine .

Later on while having a pint in town , we met up with a bunch of Courage mechanics who explained that Sabastian Enjolras had been decapitated in the accident , the one peice bodywork had migrated the car and the car took off and landed upside down on the armco , and continued into the trees and burst out in flame . The poor ******* !!!

Man , that feeling was woefull , and depressing and also embarrassing cuz we honeslty didnt know what had happened . Got royley drunk then !!!
Old 21 May 2010, 13:02 (Ref:2695388)   #29
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
It was '97.
Old 21 May 2010, 13:23 (Ref:2695397)   #30
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
The test weekend , cant rightly remember the year .

There was an accident with a WR just after Arnage . As there was no RLM for the test weekend , I asked a marshall what had happened . He told me that the Pilot Ferrari 333SP had blown its engine .

Later on while having a pint in town , we met up with a bunch of Courage mechanics who explained that Sabastian Enjolras had been decapitated in the accident , the one peice bodywork had migrated the car and the car took off and landed upside down on the armco , and continued into the trees and burst out in flame . The poor ******* !!!

Man , that feeling was woefull , and depressing and also embarrassing cuz we honeslty didnt know what had happened . Got royley drunk then !!!
That happened at my poste, although I had not joined it at that time. My chef de poste has only ever mentioned it once in all the time I have known him ........................
Old 21 May 2010, 14:11 (Ref:2695445)   #31
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I am gutted im not going this year, I suppose it applies to LMS races as well but it's always arriving , getting out of the car and heading to the nearest bit of track. You can hear the hustle and bustle and try to make out if a car is coming or not. First car out on track is always good, especially when its a judd V10 engined car. a wall of wailing V10 noise heading towards you. Then howling past. Favourite Le Mans moment for me in 2007 was when there was not a single car around and one of the Pescarolos howling towards me. All the way from Arnage and blasting past at over 180mph on the way to the Porsche Curves, that V10 howl will live with me until the grave.
Old 21 May 2010, 15:00 (Ref:2695489)   #32
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing those Hawaiian Tropic Girls again, Ohh Goosebump moment, sorry I misheard you!!!

Bladders.........
Old 21 May 2010, 15:35 (Ref:2695503)   #33
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My Le Mans goosebump moment occured today!

Watching the MotoGP bikes on telly and seeing them almost flat through the first bend!!
Old 21 May 2010, 16:23 (Ref:2695549)   #34
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
somebody ban chunder from the Le Mans 24h subforum

Ciao Marco
Old 21 May 2010, 16:53 (Ref:2695566)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bikes.

Bikes?

What are they then? That's those things that Raleigh makes, isn't it? Halfords sell them......

I struggle to forgive the bikes influence for what the ACO did to the wonderful run down to the Esses......
Old 21 May 2010, 16:55 (Ref:2695567)   #36
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
There is a strange flatness that's almost melancholy to the immediate post Le Mans period.
I don't think I can remember ever feeling quite so depressed as a couple of years ago, having to go back to work after my Le Mans 'holiday'.....

But -

This is the goosebumps thread - let's ease up on the melancholy!
Old 21 May 2010, 17:40 (Ref:2695592)   #37
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tarrant View Post
That happened at my poste, although I had not joined it at that time. My chef de poste has only ever mentioned it once in all the time I have known him ........................
Im not surprised . A couple of years later we met a marschall or ambulance driver who was at the aftermate of the accident , and he wouldnt say much about it either ..... I dont blame the poor guy at all .

Each year I remember that accident , I get goose bumps and a funny feeling in the thinning hair on the top of my head .

There are so many great moments though . I love being on the outside of Tetre Rouge for first practice , see them moving for the first time each year .
Old 21 May 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2695595)   #38
RoeDent
Racer

Wales
Wales
RoeDent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having never been to Le Mans, my goosebump moment is nowhere near as dramatic as the ones I've read so far (which are giving me goosebumps as I speak), but this year, during the motorbike 24 hour race, Eurosport broadcast a brief trailer for their coverage of the LM24 race, which got me rather excited. And this weekend, the MotoGP is being held on the Bugatti Circuit, which means TV pictures of the ferris wheel, start-finish straight and the famous Dunlop bridge, which is another goosebumps moment of mine, especially knowing that in 3 weeks time, that road will be driven on by 50 cars in motorsport's ultimate test.

Cannot wait for it!
Old 21 May 2010, 18:25 (Ref:2695605)   #39
The Badger
Veteran

Oh no ...... another biker dude ..... in the sportscar forum !!!
Old 21 May 2010, 18:28 (Ref:2695607)   #40
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I struggle to forgive the bikes influence for what the ACO did to the wonderful run down to the Esses......
Oh yeah ..... sad really .
Old 21 May 2010, 19:02 (Ref:2695616)   #41
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Bikes.

Bikes?

What are they then? That's those things that Raleigh makes, isn't it? Halfords sell them......
Only two wheels - so half a car, which means half the excitement, which means half the interest.

And they only run on half the track!
Old 21 May 2010, 19:10 (Ref:2695623)   #42
RoeDent
Racer

Wales
Wales
Oh, great! Snobbery here too!

Surely I'm allowed to like more than one form of motorsport? Sportscar racing is my main focus of motorsport, but I follow others with interest. I'll take anything that's coming.
Old 21 May 2010, 19:18 (Ref:2695630)   #43
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Sure you are my friend. I've been remiss in my moderator's duties. Welcome to the forum. I've been here a while (as others will attest) and my prejudices are well known.... I do like to pull the odd leg here and there....

I do love bikes of course; in fact, sometimes I struggle to work out which is dearest to my heart, bikes or BMW M3s...

(But I meant what I said about the run to the Esses..... )
Old 21 May 2010, 19:25 (Ref:2695633)   #44
RoeDent
Racer

Wales
Wales
Don't normally follow any bike events, but as this is Le Mans we're talking about (which, whether bikes are riding on it or cars, is just a legendary circuit), I'll be watching this weekend.
Old 21 May 2010, 20:31 (Ref:2695658)   #45
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I resent how the 24 hour race track has been altered for bike racing, but I do enjoy watching MotoGP, especially the Le Mans race as it is only a few weeks before the real event and seeing the track, knowing I will be there soon is a very good feeling.
Old 21 May 2010, 22:28 (Ref:2695710)   #46
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I do love bikes of course; in fact, sometimes I struggle to work out which is dearest to my heart, bikes or BMW M3s...

(But I meant what I said about the run to the Esses..... )
Oh no, don't start the M3 thing here too But as you know i happen to agree with you on that one...
Old 21 May 2010, 23:02 (Ref:2695724)   #47
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Getting back to positive goosebumps, a particularly nice day is one such as today, when the tickets arrive.

Mine arrive by registered mail, and my postman is a fellow sportscar enthusiast who's been to LM a fair few times (although now sadly lost to the Classic) who has in the past shared a cheerful word while dropping them off and generally chats about the race come June time. Today, there was the personal touch, even though I was out my postie probably put his job on the line by signing for them himself, putting the tickets through my letterbox, and leaving a note saying he wanted to personally make sure the tickets got to my house safely. It's one of many examples of the sort of touching humanity that Le Mans seems to bring out in people.
Old 22 May 2010, 00:00 (Ref:2695742)   #48
The Badger
Veteran

Buy that postie a pint .
Old 22 May 2010, 00:09 (Ref:2695743)   #49
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Buy that postie a pint .
Absolutely. Living in London and getting that sort of service is brilliant, especially when I've lived in plenty of so-called small supportive country communities where nothing of the sort happens.

All goes to show that a little bit of civility to fellow human beings goes a long way.
Old 22 May 2010, 05:31 (Ref:2695803)   #50
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
1) Every year when my group gathers at the port - some of whom I haven't seen for a year and some maybe new and we go up on deck and grab our first pint of the trip (7.00am!!) and somehow the waiting is over......

2) Driving into the circuit for the first time each year

3) Hearing the engines start for the first time each year

4) The silence and electric atmosphere of the parade lap

5) Taking a break at night in the campsite and sitting quietly listening to the cars just a few meters away.

6) Sitting at my computer at 6.29am this morning reading this thread and thinking about this post!