Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 22 May 2010, 05:32 (Ref:2695804)   #51
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Absolutely. Living in London and getting that sort of service is brilliant, especially when I've lived in plenty of so-called small supportive country communities where nothing of the sort happens.

All goes to show that a little bit of civility to fellow human beings goes a long way.
If you are in Kent and in London you and I must be quite close - I am in Keston (Bromley) where are you?
Old 22 May 2010, 05:49 (Ref:2695808)   #52
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
If you are in Kent and in London you and I must be quite close - I am in Keston (Bromley) where are you?
Just had a 'goosebump' moment when I read your post..........

Can't resist butting in, because coincidentally I sent isynge a PM last night asking him exactly where he lives. I know he's somewhere in the Beckenham area, but wondered whereabouts. I was dragged up in Beckenham myself, my parents still live there (in the same house), my Aunt lives on the Keston Park Estate, and as a kid I regularly fished for those legendary carp at Keston Ponds.......and never caught one!

Oh well.....way off topic.....apologies!
Old 22 May 2010, 06:17 (Ref:2695812)   #53
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Just had a 'goosebump' moment when I read your post..........

Can't resist butting in, because coincidentally I sent isynge a PM last night asking him exactly where he lives. I know he's somewhere in the Beckenham area, but wondered whereabouts. I was dragged up in Beckenham myself, my parents still live there (in the same house), my Aunt lives on the Keston Park Estate, and as a kid I regularly fished for those legendary carp at Keston Ponds.......and never caught one!

Oh well.....way off topic.....apologies!
Well I am sitting less than half a mile from those Carp (if they exist) right now!
Old 22 May 2010, 08:38 (Ref:2695839)   #54
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
4) The silence and electric atmosphere of the parade lap
Let's hope that remains just the parade lap in future years and the whole thing doesn't become a silent race of whispering diesels and battery powered eco cars.
Old 22 May 2010, 10:47 (Ref:2695891)   #55
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoeDent View Post
Oh, great! Snobbery here too!

Surely I'm allowed to like more than one form of motorsport? Sportscar racing is my main focus of motorsport, but I follow others with interest. I'll take anything that's coming.
Don't worry there are many of us Le mans fans who also appreciate Motorbikes aswell.

Anyway welcome to the best Le Mans forum in the world
Old 22 May 2010, 12:32 (Ref:2695931)   #56
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Old 22 May 2010, 12:38 (Ref:2695934)   #57
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoeDent View Post
Oh, great! Snobbery here too!

Surely I'm allowed to like more than one form of motorsport? Sportscar racing is my main focus of motorsport, but I follow others with interest. I'll take anything that's coming.
Old 22 May 2010, 14:11 (Ref:2695963)   #58
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Hi Mal, as James says, I'm in Beckenham, which rapidly would appear to be becoming one of the centres of gravity on the forum.

I'm often to be seen plodding around Waitrose at this time of year wearing one of my sundry collections of sportscar related t-shirts - do wave if you happen to see me!
Old 22 May 2010, 15:49 (Ref:2695990)   #59
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Beckenham?

He plays for England, doesn't he.....?

Old 22 May 2010, 17:59 (Ref:2696055)   #60
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
GROUP C SUPPORT RACE. That ought to do it.
Old 22 May 2010, 21:30 (Ref:2696145)   #61
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Wednesday evening first session, the quiet around the circuit, the anticipation, the sound of the engines firing up for the first time in anger and then that first glimpse of the cars as they roll out onto the circuit........always my biggest 'Goosebumps' moment, closely followed by the cars setting off on the parade lap!
That was my moment, I've only been to LM once, in '07, and when the cars poured out for the first qualifying session it suddenly struck me - 'wow, I'm here. I've finally made it here!'.

That, however, is a goosebumps moment for a lot of races I've seen. I love the way the calm, peaceful morning air is interrupted by loud racing cars on their first lap of a warm-up or first practice session of the day. When you're not used to it, you get a little surprised at quite how loud they can be, or how you realise they're louder than you thought they would be, and its a wonderful goosebumps moment! Its one reason I hate the new ACO noise regs.
Old 22 May 2010, 21:47 (Ref:2696160)   #62
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
I'm often to be seen plodding around Waitrose at this time of year wearing one of my sundry collections of sportscar related t-shirts - do wave if you happen to see me!
I like the Slick Attire shirts for that (couldn't resist a 'dab of oppo' shirt when they came out!). I have ordered a new shirt from them this evening, actually!
Old 23 May 2010, 12:57 (Ref:2696550)   #63
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
What can you say about 24 heures du mans
That hasn’t been said by countless fans
I will give my version and it may take time
Considering I’m going to try it in rhyme

Its the looking forward and planning
From the July until then
The where what why
The how and the when

Its booking the tickets
Getting them through the post
Its coming on here when you’ve got them
To brag and to boast

It’s the mad dash to Dover
Across by ferry or train
Or if you’re really flash
It’s a mad dash to the plane

Its driving out of Calais
And with a slight smile
Knowing you’ll be passing Abbeville
In a short while

It’s a convoy of cars
With GB on their plate
Looking out for police traps
That we all love to hate

Its Astons and Bentleys
All manner of cars
Porkies and bemmers
And of course TVR’s

Its stopping for something
To have your fill
At the one and only the infamous
“Buffalo Grill”

Then just outside Le mans
Turn off the MP3
And tune the radio
To “LE MAN” frequency

Its Graham and Paul
And the rest of the gang
And Hindhaugh the legend
With that North East twang

Its finally getting there
Thinking “we did well”
Then finding the campsite
Or perhaps the hotel

Its going to the circuit
Be it day or night
That Dunlop bridge
What a welcoming site

Its practice and qualifying
And “Crazy Friday”
Looking into the night sky
At the firework display

Its Saturday, race day
And what used to be at four
Fifty five starters
With an orchestral like roar

It’s the dust and the dirt
And not feeling clean
It’s the smell of BBQ’s
Mixed with Valvoline

Its watching the race
And the story begin
The teams developing strategies
As the evening draws in

Its listening to Trussers
Suddenly exclaim
“he should have come in then
but he’s gone round again!”

For myself if I’m honest
And to be fair
Looking at Race Control thinking
I WISH I WAS THERE!

Its day becoming night
Into the small hours we go
Porsches entering the mulsanne
Their turbo housings a glow

And as the cars pass
Just by the Chinese
The glow from their headlights
Moving along the tops of the trees

But my real goosebump moment
I have to say
Is standing at Tertre Rouge
As night becomes day

Yes there’s something magical
Well there is in my eyes
Being at that corner
As the sun begins to rise

Its catching some sleep
Whenever you can
A top up of caffeine
From the odd coke can

It’s the build up to the finish
Hopefully in the heat
Its feeling exhausted
And dead on your feet

Its knowing its getting closer
And watching the time
When 1st second and third
Come across the line

Its down to the podium
The build up of the crowd
And when the winners lift the trophy
The cheers are so loud

And then the track empties
The stands begin to clear
And you know its all over
Well at least for this year

And heading for home
Hopefully you look back and smile
The long journey there and back
Was “worth every mile”

and like all the rest
of the die hard fans
you start the planning and looking forward
to the next 24 heures du mans!

Last edited by Aysedasi; 23 May 2010 at 19:13.
Old 23 May 2010, 13:17 (Ref:2696562)   #64
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great post.......enjoyed that!
Old 23 May 2010, 14:20 (Ref:2696578)   #65
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Me too
Old 23 May 2010, 15:17 (Ref:2696606)   #66
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very very good indeed Claire, thank you!
Old 23 May 2010, 18:22 (Ref:2696676)   #67
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Ta just my version of what we all love ....im also available for after dinner posting as well lol

Actually, I have just looked at it and realised I spelt Johns surname wrong!...he will kill me when I see him!!!

Sorry Hindy
Old 23 May 2010, 19:14 (Ref:2696707)   #68
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
Ta just my version of what we all love ....im also available for after dinner posting as well lol

Actually, I have just looked at it and realised I spelt Johns surname wrong!
Nah, I don't believe you........
Old 23 May 2010, 20:10 (Ref:2696722)   #69
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Nah, I don't believe you........

Ohhh to be a mod and have that sort of power!!!!

Thank you
Old 23 May 2010, 20:21 (Ref:2696730)   #70
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
wow Claire, that is something!
Old 31 May 2010, 17:54 (Ref:2701909)   #71
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Another 'GB' moment for me has always been the sudden arrival of the night during the race. 2010 promises to be different....

Ever since The Tourists started heading away from the circuit to eat in the early 90s (and yes, I'm sure it was our group that Paul Truswell was thinking of when he spoke during last year's race of those who 'always go for a meal at 7.30 - Madame expects us'!), it has inevitably been dark when I've returned to the circuit. Those who know me well (or at least as well as the membership of a board such as this allows ), will be aware that I consider the night at Le Mans to be one of the most sublime periods of my year and certainly the most important time in the whole race. For anyone going to Le Mans for the first time - you simply have to catch as much of the night as possible. Don't make the mistake of wasting too much of it asleep - you can sleep anytime - night at Le Mans only comes once a year.....

But this year, I don't expect to be departing the circuit - except perhaps to visit a different part of it - so for the first time I think since 1989, I will actually experience the arrival of night at the circuit - and if I don't have goosebumps now, I think I may well have them when it happens at the circuit!
Old 31 May 2010, 19:31 (Ref:2701972)   #72
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
And after your account of last year's meal, you won't be missing that much! Having enjoyed my time with the Tourists in 2008, I also experienced the frustration of sitting down for a long meal knowing the race was in full pelt just down the road. I know how special this year is going to be for you Andrew - enjoy!
Old 1 Jun 2010, 19:02 (Ref:2702718)   #73
Robert RS
Rookie

Netherlands
Veenendaal
Robert RS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say that watching your own car take the start of the race, knowing how much hard work has gone into it, is a feeling I'll never forget. Oddly enough for me that feeling was more special than actually winning the class, but perhaps I was just too tired to fully register that one...
Old 1 Jun 2010, 19:13 (Ref:2702722)   #74
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
so .. any chance of another entry in the future ??

Ciao Marco
Old 1 Jun 2010, 19:40 (Ref:2702744)   #75
Robert RS
Rookie

Netherlands
Veenendaal
Robert RS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't look into the future anymore than you guys can but I think its pretty safe to say that the VM 'team' entering a car like was done in 2008 will not happen again. Don't forget that the whole VM racing business is specialised in rallying. The RS Spyder was a personal effort from Peter who wanted to realise a dream and the team created to do so wasn't so much VM Motorsport but mostly people from Equipe Verschuur and outside sources, it just carried the VM name and livery. And with the dream fullfilled the focus is now completely and totally back on rallying as it has always been.