Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 27 Apr 2011, 17:31 (Ref:2870743)   #26
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
You're taking them all with you Mal? Marvelous, I hope you have a big motor and you're looking forward to some interesting debate on the drive down!
Olivier Quesnel and Dr Ulrich would be engaged in a private conversation of their own, extolling the virtues of diesel engines, whilst both claiming that they were flat out at the Test Day and had nothing in reserve.

TK would sit there, silent, beaming at everyone, nodding in agreement with everything Dr U said..

Henri would deafen you with complaints about equivalence - or the lack of it

Hugh Chamberlain would be an absorbing, entertaining travelling companion
Old 27 Apr 2011, 17:54 (Ref:2870756)   #27
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Martin Short and Paul Truswell!
Old 27 Apr 2011, 18:05 (Ref:2870766)   #28
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That'll please Paul (with whom I have just exchanged emails.....!)
Old 27 Apr 2011, 19:10 (Ref:2870808)   #29
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
No one has mentioned ears protections yet ; good point !
Yes, some protection is needed (for the petrols!). They also mean that you can hear Paul Truswell better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Martin Short and Paul Truswell!
Old 27 Apr 2011, 19:22 (Ref:2870819)   #30
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Yes, some protection is needed (for the petrols!). They also mean that you can hear Paul Truswell better.
Or is the ear protection so that you can't hear the air horns or air rifle shots?
Old 27 Apr 2011, 19:26 (Ref:2870823)   #31
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've personally never believed in ear protection and have never (ever) worn earplugs or defenders - I love the noise of the engines far too much - however my new radio headphones actually do that job!

The only time I've ever been at a circuit and wished I had earplugs was the European Grand Prix in 1985 - when the noise of the Lotuses (Loti?) seemed staggeringly loud....!
Old 27 Apr 2011, 19:34 (Ref:2870833)   #32
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I've personally never believed in ear protection and have never (ever) worn earplugs or defenders - I love the noise of the engines far too much - however my new radio headphones actually do that job!

The only time I've ever been at a circuit and wished I had earplugs was the European Grand Prix in 1985 - when the noise of the Lotuses (Loti?) seemed staggeringly loud....!
The noise is usually something I want to hear - e.g. the four rotor Mazda or the grunt of a big V8, but I recall that the Panoz of some years ago made for distinctly uncomfortable listening - to the extent it was stressed by some in our group that it was a Pain-oz
Old 27 Apr 2011, 19:36 (Ref:2870835)   #33
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I love the noise, but it can hurt! I would also like to keep hearing the noise too!
Old 27 Apr 2011, 19:51 (Ref:2870849)   #34
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Heard on RLM that the new Aston leaves a big of a ringing in the ears.

---Cue joke about only having to put it with it for a couple of hours---
Old 27 Apr 2011, 20:19 (Ref:2870861)   #35
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
haha

5 essential Le Mans things?

1 another race track
2 Others cars

I can cut it down to just two!
Old 27 Apr 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2870876)   #36
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not that I have been to Le Mans before, but this is what I take to a normal race meeting and would also take to Le Mans, in no particular order.

1: Car (for sleeping and charging portable devices etc)
2: Internet tablet/phone
3: first aid kit
4: wallet
5: wet weather clothing
Old 27 Apr 2011, 21:11 (Ref:2870896)   #37
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Can I change my list to include air rifle to shoot people with air horns?

Also Ginger, I think you mean Autosport "guide" pamphlet.
Ahhh, one of those types who would rather the race was run in silence

I love the airhorns, as long as you're not near one. Adds to that pre-race hype and the atmosphere. I agree, it's not too pleasant if you're right near one...thats why you bring your own so you're in control of the noise
Old 28 Apr 2011, 06:53 (Ref:2871026)   #38
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R View Post
Not that I have been to Le Mans before, but this is what I take to a normal race meeting and would also take to Le Mans, in no particular order.

1: Car (for sleeping and charging portable devices etc)
2: Internet tablet/phone
3: first aid kit
4: wallet
5: wet weather clothing
Wet weather clothing will be superfluous at Le Mans this year, won't it Ayse?
Old 28 Apr 2011, 07:04 (Ref:2871031)   #39
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post

I love the airhorns, as long as you're not near one. Adds to that pre-race hype and the atmosphere. I agree, it's not too pleasant if you're right near one...thats why you bring your own so you're in control of the noise
There are some noises which are "natural" to an event - the sound of the cars on the track obviously is one* and we could include the cheering of a crowd at a football match (though perhaps not at Rockingham Road ). Air horns, the incoherent, over-excited babbling of the French p/a system, interspersed with excessively loud pop music and late-night concerts are not what I want to be forced to listen to when trackside.

* In 1986, while fast asleep at Arnage (sorry Ayse), I was woken by the lack of noise from the track when the pace car came out in the middle of the night following Jo Gartner's fatal accident
Old 28 Apr 2011, 08:44 (Ref:2871062)   #40
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post

You love the airhorns, as long as you're not near one, but then you bring your own horn....that makes you the nearest to a horn as you can be!
Old 28 Apr 2011, 08:52 (Ref:2871066)   #41
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
1 Henri Pescarolo
2 Hugh Chamberlain
3 TK
4 Dr Ullrich
5 Oliver Quesnal
Nice choices, but you have a driver and no car

Was thinking 5x Audi R18's... Although only one will be necessary to win...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 28 Apr 2011, 09:22 (Ref:2871079)   #42
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1. A classic or vintage British sportscar to get there in
2. Beer
3. Radio
4. Sleeping Bag
5. A severe case of insomnia for 5 days
Old 28 Apr 2011, 11:10 (Ref:2871113)   #43
Trussers
Rookie

Trussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ayse drew my attention to this thread recently... and I am flattered by Victor's suggestion - I would love to share the journey with Martin Short - but who are your other three?

For myself, my list would be:
1) Sun hat (the early morning sun is straight in your eyes looking out from the Tribune)
2) "The bag" - contains: Notebook, pens, pencils, eraser, highlighters, pocket calculator, stopwatch, binoculars (this is my sneaky way of getting more than five things on the list)
3) "The library" - contains: every reference book I think I might need, although nowadays a laptop and internet connection renders it largely redundant.
4) A bottle of Windolene and a cloth for wiping the windows
5) A packet of wet wipes to remove the grime that builds up during the race - I can't abide sticky fingers!

Although it is interesting to compare this with my "must have" list when I first used to go as a spectator: (1) toilet roll, (2) camera, (3) water canister, (4) road map and (5) "the bag" - see above... it's always gone everywhere with me!

Good thread, though... and good to see you all still enthusiastic on here!
Old 28 Apr 2011, 12:54 (Ref:2871160)   #44
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trussers View Post
I can't help be reminded of the cult classic film "Clerks" where there is speculation that a customer buying the above items is a "nudie booth cleaner".
Old 28 Apr 2011, 15:36 (Ref:2871239)   #45
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Ayse drew my attention to this thread recently... and I am flattered by Victor's suggestion - I would love to share the journey with Martin Short - but who are your other three?

For myself, my list would be:
1) Sun hat (the early morning sun is straight in your eyes looking out from the Tribune)
2) "The bag" - contains: Notebook, pens, pencils, eraser, highlighters, pocket calculator, stopwatch, binoculars (this is my sneaky way of getting more than five things on the list)
3) "The library" - contains: every reference book I think I might need, although nowadays a laptop and internet connection renders it largely redundant.
5) A packet of wet wipes to remove the grime that builds up during the race - I can't abide sticky fingers!

Although it is interesting to compare this with my "must have" list when I first used to go as a spectator: (1) toilet roll, (2) camera, (3) water canister, (4) road map and (5) "the bag" - see above... it's always gone everywhere with me!

Good thread, though... and good to see you all still enthusiastic on here!
Regarding #3 how did you manage to haul around a copy of "Time and Two Seats" along with everything else?
Old 28 Apr 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2871312)   #46
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post

* In 1986, while fast asleep at Arnage (sorry Ayse), I was woken by the lack of noise from the track when the pace car came out in the middle of the night following Jo Gartner's fatal accident

Man, I remember that. I wasn't asleep (of course), although I was sitting in the car in the garage rouge at the time. It was my first Le Mans. As they said on the Duke Video at the time, 'An eery silence blankets Le Mans.....'. Makes me shiver even to this day.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 17:55 (Ref:2871331)   #47
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The sudden lack of noise had the same effect on me in the past but now days take ear plugs not for wearing while watching but so that i can grab a free hours sleep before getting up to watch the dawn break
Old 28 Apr 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2871339)   #48
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'm not prepared to comment any further when people use the 'S'-word......

Old 28 Apr 2011, 21:51 (Ref:2871537)   #49
Trussers
Rookie

Trussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Regarding #3 how did you manage to haul around a copy of "Time and Two Seats" along with everything else?
Not only Time and Two Seats, but also now the new 3 volume "Encyclopedie", featuring a picture of every car to take part in the race from 1923 - 2010. Anyone here got a copy yet?
Old 28 Apr 2011, 22:07 (Ref:2871546)   #50
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Not only Time and Two Seats, but also now the new 3 volume "Encyclopedie", featuring a picture of every car to take part in the race from 1923 - 2010. Anyone here got a copy yet?
Been trying to justify expense since seeing its release. Suspect all it will require is a weak moment and a credit card...