Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 28 Apr 2011, 22:10 (Ref:2871548)   #51
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'm not prepared to comment any further when people use the 'S'-word...
I think it depends on the context, Ayse. For instance, I have discovered that it's probably a GOOD thing if we commissaires didn't try to stay up for the whole thing. A corollary point is that I can now sleep while counting laps by the Corvettes (the most distinctive engine note now the Panoz is gone). I only wake up if my alarm goes off or, as Le Vieux says, if the sound STOPS.
keke
Old 28 Apr 2011, 22:18 (Ref:2871557)   #52
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
(1) Radio & KTV .
(2) Light rain jacket .
(3) Stopwatch .
(4) My flask full of proper rum & coke , and my brothers for when mine runs out .
(5) Stuff to keep sun outta my eyes , hat & shades .

I could go on but .

I fell asleep on the outside of Tetre Rouge in 1999 ..... when both of them Panoz's were blasting around . They vibrated my info sheet ..... but I slept for 2 hours , I musta been shagged ..... probably the rum !!!

Try and stay awake if you can , my longest for Le Mans is 44 hours . My first trip , woke up early and couldnt sleep for excitment . Then we returned to our digs and they had a bar-b-q on the go and a trip to the local radio station where the son worked , he was so proud to show us , but we really wanted to rest .
Old 28 Apr 2011, 22:43 (Ref:2871567)   #53
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I've personally never believed in ear protection and have never (ever) worn earplugs or defenders - I love the noise of the engines far too much - however my new radio headphones actually do that job!
Protection dulls the sensation...

Take that as you will.

About the S word, I think if I make the trip to Le Mans one year, I will struggle to stay awake for all 24 hours as I imagine my sleep schedule will be very screwed up due to travel and excitement.

Sorry to say the S word Ayse.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 22:56 (Ref:2871577)   #54
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trussers View Post
(4) A bottle of Windolene and a cloth for wiping the windows
Glad you explained the windows bit Trussers !!!
Old 28 Apr 2011, 22:58 (Ref:2871578)   #55
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
Protection dulls the sensation...
Sorry to say the S word Ayse.
Protection dulls the sensation ..... love it , mind if I use that phrase in future ?

Whats this "S" word ffs ..... I cant see it anyplace ?

I always thought the "R" word was the forbidden letter ?

XXXX

Post edited for profanity.....

Last edited by Aysedasi; 29 Apr 2011 at 13:59.
Old 29 Apr 2011, 04:42 (Ref:2871632)   #56
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Protection dulls the sensation ..... love it , mind if I use that phrase in future ?
It's yours, but I don't think a lot of wom... Le Mans watchers will take too kindly to it.

EDIT: I think the S word is sleep.
Old 29 Apr 2011, 12:19 (Ref:2871743)   #57
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My first year this time and will be going for the full 24 hours. We'll see how it goes. If I was the guy driving back the next day I might not be so keen.

Love the phrase Ultimo. Ironic however coming from a user with a name that sounds like a condom!
Old 29 Apr 2011, 16:51 (Ref:2871820)   #58
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1. An open mind
2. Sun
3. Google Translate, or my high-school French
4. the rake for clearing pinecones out of the way before we put up the tent (whoever forgets the rake has to sleep on the pinecones)
5. North American racing trinkets for my fellow commissaires

See? No discussion of pedestrian stuff like money (credit cards rule), bad moods (how can you stay grumpy at Le Mans after the first practice?), clothes (thank you, ACO, for the overalls), etc.

keke
Old 29 Apr 2011, 17:44 (Ref:2871830)   #59
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
1. An open mind
Actually quite a lot of forum members go to Le Mans.
Old 29 Apr 2011, 19:08 (Ref:2871868)   #60
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
XXXX

Post edited for profanity.....
Old 30 Apr 2011, 08:47 (Ref:2871993)   #61
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've only been to Le Mans the once, back in '07, and sadly it looks like I'll have to wait until '12 for my next trip, but going from the first time I'd say the following:

1) A comfortable method of travel. I spent quite some time as a passenger cramped up with the bodies and baggage of five people. On the way home when you're really tired its not pleasant. I won't do that again.

2) Radio with earphones. I couldn't imagine going to see the race without RLM, and the earphones/headphones cover the noise protection as well (although with the new regs I imagine the only noise you'll need protection from is John Hindhaugh when he's excited!).

3) Wind-up chargers/torches. In the UK these cost just a couple of pounds, torches that don't need batteries and some phone chargers work this way as well. You have to wind up for quite a while with the chargers but if you need to make a relatively urgent call then it could come in useful. This should mean the only batteries you'll need can be used for your camera. The next item should remove the need for a wind-up phone charger though...

4) Small solar panels for campers. I saw these in a shop recently and instantly thought of Le Mans. Some are only about the size of a laptop (and are about £30 or so) and work even with lots of cloud cover. Ideal for charging up phones, tablets, laptops, whatever. Can make that iPod last the whole trip! In '07 we bought a miniature fridge and wired it up to the car's battery. I suppose a slightly larger solar panel may cover this as well.

5) Fold out seat to sit and have a beer with. I bought one at Silverstone for a very small sum of money (was near the end of the day and he had a few left he wanted rid of!) and its handy, and quite small once folded up and in its bag. Not everyone gets a grandstand seat, and even if you do its nice to move around. I can think of nothing finer than getting a seat where you want to be, listening to RLM and the cars with a beer in hand on a bright pleasant evening.

All this assumes the beer will be equipped as standard!
Old 1 May 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2872513)   #62
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another list from me:

Top Five Genius Camping gadgets taken to Le Mans.

1) Ice Machine - bought for £80-odd from eBay. About the size of a small portable CRT television. Works extremely well, produces a couple of litre's worth of ice cubes every half hour or so.

2) Toaster tool for a gas burner - cost about £5 from any camping store. Fold out metal grill/mesh combo, cooks bread one side at a time. Very popular at breakfast time.

3) Igloo '5-day' Coolbox - £40 from Costco, giant sized American coolbox. Fills the entire rear seat of a motorcar. Claims to keep ice frozen for 5-days, but opening the lid to take out beer spoils the effect and reduces the time to 2-3 days, but used in conjunction with item #1 there's always solid ice to bin come Sunday evening.

4) Kelly Kettle - http://www.kellykettle.com/ - worked wonders on non-electric campsite, a ripped up cardboard beer carton was enough to boil the water.

5) 9m x 3m Gazebo - another eBay bargain. Repaired over the years with poles and side panels from other gazebos plus copious amounts of gaffer tape and cable ties. Has also been used to park a car under it when tight for space.
Old 2 May 2011, 09:27 (Ref:2872792)   #63
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Having identified my camera as one of my five - actually, inevitably, my #1 item, I'm having a mare..... Bloody thing died on me again yesterday at a hockey match. I thought it was going to be a repeat of 2009, but I've now established (by use of another body) that the lens is up the creek. So more expense that I could do wthout, sadly......
Old 4 May 2011, 09:41 (Ref:2873912)   #64
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
It's yours, but I don't think a lot of wom... Le Mans watchers will take too kindly to it.

EDIT: I think the S word is sleep.
Whats wom ?
Old 5 May 2011, 19:23 (Ref:2874887)   #65
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wom?

That's Barry Wom - a member of the Rutles........

(Front middle)

Last edited by Aysedasi; 5 May 2011 at 19:43.
Old 6 May 2011, 03:03 (Ref:2875081)   #66
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Wom?

That's Barry Wom - a member of the Rutles........

(Front middle)
now that brings back memories
Old 11 May 2011, 17:11 (Ref:2878835)   #67
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well found out from my trip to spa that whatever you forget is essential.
Rucksack left behind and therefore pockets full of as much as I could get in them, so take a bag and then you have somewhere to put all the other essentials
Old 11 May 2011, 18:42 (Ref:2878888)   #68
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
....or remember your rucksack......
Old 11 May 2011, 22:15 (Ref:2879005)   #69
Jerome98
Rookie

Jerome98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top 5 basics:
1. Pocket radio+batteries
2. Lanyard for camp and circuit tickets
3. Polo shirt with Tour number
4. Cold beer (at Dunlop chicane on Wednesday 1st qualifying)
5. Camera
Old 12 May 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2879444)   #70
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Talking of essentials.....

I'm not a visitor - only very very occasionally - to CA - but is there any news yet on this year's guide?
Old 12 May 2011, 18:42 (Ref:2879491)   #71
sarthe72
Rookie

sarthe72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. bog roll
2. another bog roll
3. yet another bog roll
Old 12 May 2011, 19:24 (Ref:2879521)   #72
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthe72 View Post
1. bog roll
2. another bog roll
3. yet another bog roll

That sooooo reminds me of 1987.......
Old 12 May 2011, 19:59 (Ref:2879547)   #73
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Talking of essentials.....

I'm not a visitor - only very very occasionally - to CA - but is there any news yet on this year's guide?
I was thinking about this too the other day. I had a look and the wiki system they use seems to be getting steadily updated. The 2010 guide helped me a lot.
Old 12 May 2011, 20:09 (Ref:2879563)   #74
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Totally essential piece of kit! Particularly for newbies - you really don't need much else.....
Old 12 May 2011, 21:37 (Ref:2879632)   #75
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What? Not even the Autosport guide?