Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 27 Jun 2004, 11:00 (Ref:1017320)   #76
Karl Kling
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Karl Kling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mags
And Lucas has no desire to drive at LM anymore. He won't be there.
What?! Now that's a stupid decision! Is this the end of my favourite driver line up of Luhr-Maassen then? Darn.
Old 27 Jun 2004, 13:32 (Ref:1017477)   #77
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Karl Kling
What?! Now that's a stupid decision! Is this the end of my favourite driver line up of Luhr-Maassen then? Darn.
Johann, check the FIA-GT thread... I'm afraid your hero did a very bad move today at Donington... sorry to hear that he's not interrested by LM anymore, though...
Old 27 Jun 2004, 14:15 (Ref:1017540)   #78
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Karl Kling
Yep... he told me he's won there 3 times and he has nothing left there to proove. He wants to win overall at that OTHER 24 hour race.

But Maassen told me the BMW's are unstoppable at this time, but if anyone can win, it's Lucas. That man is probably the most talented driver I've ever had the pleasure to watch drive, next to Sascha.

And you can still see them clean up in the FIA GT, they should be winning there today at Donington! And they will be together at Laguna Seca later this year.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 27 Jun 2004, 14:23 (Ref:1017551)   #79
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Nothing to proove? Maybe an overal win in a Porsche LMP?
Old 27 Jun 2004, 14:42 (Ref:1017557)   #80
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that's something I've wondered - why haven't Maassen and Luhr stepped up to prototype drives yet?
Old 27 Jun 2004, 14:47 (Ref:1017561)   #81
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Maassen drove the Champion Lola-Porsche at Daytona a few years back, but I think he and Luhr would be high up on Porsche's list if they did return to prototypes.

On a similar note, the following are the drivers I can think of who have ties to Porsche and are essentially 'works' drivers. Have I missed any?

Sascha Maassen
Lucas Luhr
Stephane Ortelli
Emmanuel Collard
Romain Dumas
Marc Lieb
Timo Bernhard
Jorg Bergmeister
Pat Long
Mike Rockenfeller
Old 27 Jun 2004, 17:06 (Ref:1017643)   #82
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are Porsche factory drivers, and Porsche don't have that prototype yet...closest they have is the DPs in the Grand Am series, snd they go there and drive them whenever they can.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 28 Jun 2004, 21:25 (Ref:1019422)   #83
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
Nothing to proove? Maybe an overal win in a Porsche LMP?
There was a mention of that at Mid-Ohio this past weekend, and one of the execs from Porsche did not rule it out, but said that they haven't decided on whethr or not they would pursue that possibility...

I saw that in an article in the mansfield, Ohio, newspaper, which is close to the Mid-Ohio circuit....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 30 Jun 2004, 13:23 (Ref:1021430)   #84
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are a 2 intereseting stories in this weeks Motorsport News. The first being that a group of Asia Business men are looking to run a LMP1 car next drivers from either India or Malaysia.

The other bit of news is that Jason Watt and Alex Zanardi are looking to share a car at Le Mans in the future. I for one hope that this happens.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 17:17 (Ref:1023900)   #85
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Very interesting. Watt has driven a prototype since his accident (the Den Bla Avis Panoz) but Zanardi, so far as I am aware, has not. Would the third driver need to be similarly handicapped, or could an able-bodied driver work around the equipment?
Old 5 Jul 2004, 15:44 (Ref:1026860)   #86
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

FYI : Citroen factory, after its last WRC victory, says in Ouest France that Le Mans is wihtout any interrest for the fame of a car maker, even if it's a wonderful race.

There's only two ways of beeing displayed by the media : WRC and F1.

At least, we can now be sure that we won't have Citroen or Peugeot back soon in sportscars...

Stay were you are, s***ers, I'm going to buy an Audi !
Old 5 Jul 2004, 17:09 (Ref:1026954)   #87
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
FYI : Citroen factory, after its last WRC victory, says in Ouest France that Le Mans is wihtout any interrest for the fame of a car maker, even if it's a wonderful race.

At least, we can now be sure that we won't have Citroen or Peugeot back soon in sportscars...

Stay were you are, s***ers, I'm going to buy an Audi !
WRC is nice but does it really give a manufacturer "fame"? IMO not. Audi got good publicity with their victories. But of course Citroen is talking for their own church (church = WRC)
Old 6 Jul 2004, 05:38 (Ref:1027622)   #88
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
I forgot to say my respect for WRC and the quality of this championship. Nothing to say against it here, I was just surprised by Citroën comments about sportscars...
Old 6 Jul 2004, 09:13 (Ref:1027776)   #89
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
WRC is nice but does it really give a manufacturer "fame"? IMO not. Audi got good publicity with their victories. But of course Citroen is talking for their own church (church = WRC)
f1 and wrc give fame to the drivers, sportscars give fame to the cars. imho of course.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 10:14 (Ref:1027845)   #90
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I think LeMans has done a lot for Audis name, and I have heard Robert Ulrich quoted as saying that he feels they have got better value for the from one race than spending tens of millions more on Formula one. Presumably they feel the same about WRC as they are effectively the creator of modern rallying
Old 6 Jul 2004, 15:05 (Ref:1028147)   #91
pounetbf
Racer

pounetbf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think basically the Citroen manager is right.

WRC could run in a lot more contries than LMP (Greece, Cyprus, new zealand, turkey, african countries...), and be seen with millions of people without paying and with few travelling.
And TV and media will speak of it each and every race, not only one day (or one week) in the year.

As long as le Mans will be a lone race, WRC will be more efficient to touch millions prople in many differents countries.

Even with a real endurance world championship, with races in south america, north america, africa, china, japan, far east countries, australia , europe... the impact will be lower.

if you want to convince people to purchase you cars, WRC is the best solution (with participation in national championships)

But if you want to develop public relations with local dealers, both for car manufacturers and sponsors, F1 is the top for the fame, but Le Mans give you more (at least in time) for less money

Last edited by pounetbf; 6 Jul 2004 at 15:07.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 17:07 (Ref:1028264)   #92
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab

This relies on media studies. But it can change within a few years, then they will change their mind.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 21:05 (Ref:1028526)   #93
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The WRC is better for Citroen, being a manufactuer of average family cars.

Le Mans is for the more sporting manufactuers such as Audi, BMW and the Supercar manufactuers.

However Citroen may become interested in LM when the alternative fueled cars being to appear. This is an area were the WRC and F1 cannot compete.
Old 7 Jul 2004, 15:36 (Ref:1029333)   #94
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
In the last Le Mans Racing issue, the Maserati project is mentionned again for 2005, involving seriously now Hugues de Chaunac (Oreca), Alain Prost and... Jean-Marc Gounon !

On the other hand, the homologation of the MC12 seemed to failed at the FIA council... :confused:

Last edited by Fab; 7 Jul 2004 at 15:41.
Old 7 Jul 2004, 17:29 (Ref:1029449)   #95
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, the homologation is refused ! I read this in AUTOhebdo
First, the car is far to much expensive for the GT philosophy. It has been drawn for the tracks only, it's not a car derivated from a road model (DB9, C6, F575...).
2 - the dimensions have to be corrected to stick the regulations.
The idea of a supercars category has failed, unfortunately.
Old 7 Jul 2004, 17:36 (Ref:1029454)   #96
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wouldn't say unfortunately. If it had appeared, we would have said goodbye to the Vette, 575 etc.

Now we could see the Maserati in LMP1/LMGTP.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 07:35 (Ref:1029898)   #97
pounetbf
Racer

pounetbf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And perhaps we will also see a Maserati 3500gt (and why not a GT3 ?)
Old 15 Jul 2004, 15:02 (Ref:1037340)   #98
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
according to DSC, it is possible that a Porsche LMP1 took it to the track in South Africa.
Old 15 Jul 2004, 15:19 (Ref:1037351)   #99
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Cadete
according to DSC, it is possible that a Porsche LMP1 took it to the track in South Africa.
What does the article on DSC say? Just that maybe a Porsche LMP1 was testing a track in South Africa? Do they have pictures...
Old 15 Jul 2004, 15:24 (Ref:1037356)   #100
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No pictures, DSC says that they believe a Porsche LMP1 has been testing at a private track in South Africa, recently.

I hope I'm not streching the boundaries of copywright in here, if I am, moderators, feel free to edit my posts and call me to reason