Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Mar 2001, 23:10 (Ref:69021)   #1
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
(Mar 6) The recent outbreak of Foot-and-Mouth disease in England is now threatening to postpone or even cancel the British Grand Prix.

Britain's Motor Sport Association has suspended all existing permits for racing events and no new ones will be issued until further notice. Foot-and-Mouth disease effects animals such as pigs, sheep and cows and while it is harmless to humans and rarely fatal in animals, it is devastating to the economic value of livestock. The disease is easily spread by air or carried on clothing or even car tires.

Silverstone, the F1 circuit, lies near agricultural land and could be in jeopardy if the disease continues to spread. Over the weekend, some events were held with precautionary measures in place such as using disinfectant at the gates of the circuit for those entering and leaving.

A number of other sporting events such as horse racing, rugby and rallying have either been cancelled or postponed in the country.

The British Grand Prix is scheduled for July 15. The race is already on alert by FIA following last year's fiasco which saw heavy rains turn roads into mud pits, denying thousands of fans a chance to reach the track on Grand Prix weekend.
Could this endanger this year's British GP?
Old 6 Mar 2001, 23:27 (Ref:69024)   #2
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope not

Yeah it looks like this could be a problem but it is still over 4 months away, so let's hope they can get some sort of control on this thing. Not just for the sake of F1 but for the general well being and health of everybody.

I guess they would just cancel the race altogether and move on to Germany making this years WDC out of 16 instead of 17 races right? It would be a shame for all the British fans and it has always been one of my most favorite races to watch. I guess we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed.
Old 6 Mar 2001, 23:41 (Ref:69025)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing

I don't know the extent this desease has affected England. Is it possible to hold the event at a different track somewhere else that is not affected by F&M?
Old 7 Mar 2001, 19:22 (Ref:69211)   #4
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not really VB, it's got most of the country surrounded. About the only place I haven't heard of it is in Kent, which leaves us with, er, Brands Hatch. Oh dear, we aren't that desparate are we??
Old 8 Mar 2001, 20:20 (Ref:69450)   #5
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Today's number of confirmed cases of foot & mouth is 106, but hopefully it can be controlled well before July. Silverstone has at least a couple of months before it needs to be worrying about having to cancel.
Old 8 Mar 2001, 22:58 (Ref:69511)   #6
Maximum F1
Racer

Maximum F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clearly foot and mouth is spreading like wildfire...thankfully here in Ireland we don't have the problem yet apart from 1 confirmed case a week ago.
I think you can rest assured that it will be cleared up by the British GP although at what cost to the economy it is hard to know.
Old 9 Mar 2001, 00:04 (Ref:69530)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see they're still testing at Silverstone. Is this likely to be affected?
Old 10 Mar 2001, 18:36 (Ref:69892)   #8
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
There is only one confirmed case of foot & mouth in Northamptonshire, but in the Midlands region there are 20. The number of cases (at 8pm GMT on Friday March 9th) lies at 127.
Old 12 Mar 2001, 17:09 (Ref:70475)   #9
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is infact a real threat to the British GP. It may well have to be postponed. Any congregation in a rural area is potentially a nightmare. Don't forget this disease is can be spread by wind or merely contact and can cause thousands of pounds wort of damage in unsellable livestock in under 12hrs
Old 13 Mar 2001, 10:53 (Ref:70748)   #10
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it should still go ahead even if foot and mouth is prevelent.

Why?

It would cost more to cancel the Brit GP than a couple of farms getting foot and mouth, refunds by silverstone, hotels, the local farmers would lose all their camping money etc. etc etc.
Old 13 Mar 2001, 23:22 (Ref:70971)   #11
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
It is infact a real threat to the British GP. It may well have to be postponed. Any congregation in a rural area is potentially a nightmare. Don't forget this disease is can be spread by wind or merely contact and can cause thousands of pounds wort of damage in unsellable livestock in under 12hrs
Just to dispell some myths... Foot and mouth can only be spreaed at night and in rain as ultra violet light destoys the virus. The cost of vaccination against F&M is 10p per animal.. suffice to say I do not think much of farmers.