Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 23 Jun 2020, 14:26 (Ref:3983412)   #651
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Comparing that Norwegian article to most other real world figures , it becomes obvious that it is more Pie In The Sky world than real .
https://ev-database.org/cheatsheet/range-electric-car
This one & lots of other , [ What Car etc ,] all show the same models with 20 to 30% less actual mileage than the WLTP claimed figures .
You did read the caveats in the article didn't you?
Old 23 Jun 2020, 14:28 (Ref:3983413)   #652
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2024 BMW M5 rumoured to go electric and offer Bugatti Veyron power

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/2024-bmw-m...163000021.html

'If the rumour is true, BMW's eighth-generation M5 will be the first M car to be completely electrified and will be offered as a "Power Plug-in Hybrid Vehicle" or a full-on EV. Internal documents and some guesswork say that the PHEV will be using the same engine in the upcoming X8 M; a twin-turbocharged 4.4-litre V8 with an electric motor that has a combined output of 750 bhp.'
Old 23 Jun 2020, 15:51 (Ref:3983431)   #653
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Talking of gaining a better understanding of the range of your EV:

the ford mustang mach e electric suv will keep getting smarter about driving range

'Ford is recognizing with its upcoming Mustang Mach-E electric SUV that EV range meters have to be much more than the electric equivalent of a gas gauge, or a conventional "miles remaining" readout.

So the automaker is highlighting that it’s put a lot of thought—and data points—into its Intelligent Range system in the Mach-E, which Ford has said will offer an EPA range rating of more than 300 miles in at least one of its rear-wheel-drive versions (AWD will also be available). '
Old 23 Jun 2020, 15:54 (Ref:3983433)   #654
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
To help with getting to charging points, and eliminating range fear:

Apple CarPlay will help BMW i4 electric car find chargers along the way

'A new iPhone-based digital key will be offered soon on many BMW models, first on the 2021 BMW 5-Series, and Apple CarPlay-based electric-vehicle charger routing will be included in the upcoming BMW i4 electric car due in late 2021.

With the new EV routing feature, BMW said that Apple Maps "will pick the optimal route based on electric range and the locations of charging stations along the way."'
Old 23 Jun 2020, 15:55 (Ref:3983434)   #655
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
battery-electric and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles don't compete; they complement each other

'Nikola plans to focus on hydrogen fuel-cell commercial trucks because it's the less expensive option, Milton said.

Milton expects battery-electric trucks to operate primarily in urban areas, where they'll be subject to electricity rates set by utility companies. On the other hand, Nikola plans to build hydrogen stations along major highways, tapping directly into adjacent federal transmission lines via power purchase agreements, Milton said.'
Old 23 Jun 2020, 15:57 (Ref:3983435)   #656
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
And in other good news for this consistently positive thread:

Canadian study: Each EV brings better health, $7,500 in "social benefits"

'A single electric car replacing a gasoline car brings approximately CD$10,000 (about $7,400 at current exchange rates) in "social benefits," according to the study, which was drafted by advocacy groups Environmental Defence and the Ontario Public Health Association.'
Old 23 Jun 2020, 20:54 (Ref:3983462)   #657
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
And in other good news for this consistently positive thread:

Erm... don't wish to sound picky here, but you're more or less the only one being 'consistently positive' in this thread!

I'd say that, with one or two notable exceptions, most of the rest are fairly neutral. And continuing the electricity theme, there are some very negative ones out there, including your 'nemesis'!
Old 23 Jun 2020, 21:01 (Ref:3983463)   #658
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Erm... don't wish to sound picky here, but you're more or less the only one being 'consistently positive' in this thread!
I know. The cathode need an anode.

Last edited by crmalcolm; 23 Jun 2020 at 21:06.
Old 23 Jun 2020, 22:35 (Ref:3983469)   #659
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm reasonably positive with the caveat that we're not there yet. But I think it's a road we must travel.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 24 Jun 2020, 08:19 (Ref:3983508)   #660
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Agreed, Max
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 24 Jun 2020, 08:34 (Ref:3983510)   #661
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Bosch Says Its New App Will Solve EV Charging Nightmare

'Elmar Pritsch, president of the connected mobility solutions division of Bosch, tells Robotics and Automation News, “With our recharging services, we are developing a universal key to one of the biggest pan-European recharging networks. In doing so, we are making electromobility even more viable. Recharging has to be simple and smooth for everyone. Bosch’s smart recharging services are crucial for the widespread acceptance of electromobility.”'
Old 24 Jun 2020, 08:36 (Ref:3983513)   #662
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Watch Tri-Motor Audi e-tron S Bomb It Down the Nurburgring, Overtake a BMW

'The not so big secret of the Audi e-tron S that enables the performance boost is the addition of a third motor. The unit that normally powers the rear axle on the 50 and 55 versions is moved up front on the S, and two smaller motors are used to power the rear wheels.

In case you're wondering what effect this will have on the car's already feeble maximum range, the answer is we can only speculate. If the battery pack stays the same, the added weight can only trim the relatively short wings of the EV, making it even less efficient as a road trip vehicle.'
Old 24 Jun 2020, 08:39 (Ref:3983514)   #663
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
TRANSITION TO ELECTRIC CARS COULD BOOST UK ECONOMY BY £24BN

'The Advanced Propulsion Centre (APC), a collaboration between the government and the UK’s car making industry, concluded that the transition from petrol and diesel-powered vehicles to electrified powertrains could create a wealth of opportunities for British companies, The Times reported. The centre was founded in 2013 in order to promote the development of zero-emissions vehicles, by funding projects that can be applied to the transition to electric cars.'
Old 24 Jun 2020, 09:06 (Ref:3983523)   #664
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
TRANSITION TO ELECTRIC CARS COULD BOOST UK ECONOMY BY £24BN

'The Advanced Propulsion Centre (APC), a collaboration between the government and the UK’s car making industry, concluded that the transition from petrol and diesel-powered vehicles to electrified powertrains could create a wealth of opportunities for British companies, The Times reported. The centre was founded in 2013 in order to promote the development of zero-emissions vehicles, by funding projects that can be applied to the transition to electric cars.'
That sounds like a typical made up number for which no one will ever be held to account.

It's like saying that the "Renewables" industry will create 100k jobs, as was so often the claim in recent times.

Does that mean 100k NEW jobs?

If so, given falling demand for electricity and energy in general as the UK exports its energy demanding industry elsewhere, to add 100k jobs to an industry that is producing less suggests that the product it produces is likely to become a lot more expensive.

How long before it reaches a point that makes it completely uneconomic, in a world context, for the UK to function?

Perhaps the jobs mentioned are of a temporary nature?

Perhaps the APC's £24BN is a very speculative and temporary number which sounds a lot but actually is really a rather piffling amount even if realised.

Quite how "Historically Accurate" such a post might be, in the context of the thread, is therefore questionable.
Old 24 Jun 2020, 10:29 (Ref:3983548)   #665
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Quite how "Historically Accurate" such a post might be, in the context of the thread, is therefore questionable.
I think "Historically Accurate" left this thread a long time ago. Probably around the same time climate change denial raised it's ugly head and started referring to EVs as part of propaganda.
Old 24 Jun 2020, 12:58 (Ref:3983581)   #666
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I'm reasonably positive with the caveat that we're not there yet. But I think it's a road we must travel.

Electric vehicles have been around as long , if not longer , than ICE engined ones .
The reason that the ICE took over is because they do the job so much better for a LOT less cost .
All of the physically possible improvements to EVs have more or less been tried , & there is very little else to come . So despite all of the propaganda that they will go further , be cheaper etc etc , the real truth is that will never match an ICE in a lot of ways .

The worlds total production of the rare elements needed for EVs is not enough for half of the UKs total cars , [ let alone the rest of the world ].
There is not any possibility of them being able to be charged up in the UK without a massive increase in generation capacity & huge costs for charging stations .

At the moment in the UK , only 20% of the energy used is electric , [ 4% is renewables ,] so the idea of fossil fuels , [ about 80% of all energy used ,] being stopped is just pure fantasy .

So , until fusion reactors become possible , [ which have been coming in 10 years time for the last 70 years ,] then anything other than a small percentage of very expensive EVs will never happen . And even then it will cost £ Trillions .
https://www.transportxtra.com/public...d-to-failure-/
Old 24 Jun 2020, 14:12 (Ref:3983600)   #667
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Infiniti Plans To Launch One Pure EV, One 'Gas-Powered EV' To Become Sustainable

'According to a report published on Automotive News, which interviewed Infiniti’s chairman, Peyman Kargar, who confirmed plans to introduce one pure EV, as well as a "gas-powered EV." While the former seems like a straightforward model, the latter has us a bit intrigued.'
Old 24 Jun 2020, 15:01 (Ref:3983606)   #668
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think "Historically Accurate" left this thread a long time ago. Probably around the same time climate change denial raised it's ugly head and started referring to EVs as part of propaganda.

I don't doubt at all that climate change is afoot. What contributes to climate change and what can be done to alleviate the factors which cause it are the questions that are upon us now. As mentioned by many on this forum the ICE in it's present form may not be as damaging as the long term damage caused by running EVs and the cost of manufacturing, charging and disposal of the batteries they use.

As far as I am concerned there are too many people inhabiting this planet and population control may be the first step in controlling the polution that man creates. However, I am sage enough to understand that that argument is not one that many people/organisations want to hear.
Old 25 Jun 2020, 06:08 (Ref:3983715)   #669
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo Spied Testing With Sedan Counterpart

'the Cross Turismo is, of course, highly based on the Taycan's architecture; it's the first among the Taycan-based derivatives – the pillar stone of Porsche's push for electrification'
'As for the other Taycan derivatives, Porsche refuses to reveal them exactly, but expect nothing less from Porsche in terms of electrification. Besides, that's the direction that the automotive industry is heading, and you can count on Stuttgart to want to stay ahead of that offensive.'
Old 25 Jun 2020, 09:19 (Ref:3983729)   #670
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I don't doubt at all that climate change is afoot. What contributes to climate change and what can be done to alleviate the factors which cause it are the questions that are upon us now. As mentioned by many on this forum the ICE in it's present form may not be as damaging as the long term damage caused by running EVs and the cost of manufacturing, charging and disposal of the batteries they use.

As far as I am concerned there are too many people inhabiting this planet and population control may be the first step in controlling the polution that man creates. However, I am sage enough to understand that that argument is not one that many people/organisations want to hear.

If you have a couple of hours to spare , this study shows how a lot of the present situation came about .
https://www.iatp.org/sites/default/f...y_How_When.htm
The UN s agenda 21 shows how they want to form a New World Government , & invented Climate Change to frighten people into letting them take control of everything . Including everybodys freedom , money & anything they own .
They also want huge reductions in the population .

Unlike a lot of the EV adverts which keep appearing on this thread & are obviously nowhere near real , this study has links to all of the facts so it can be checked out .
Old 25 Jun 2020, 10:42 (Ref:3983749)   #671
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Tesla Giga Shanghai is seeing a mysterious expansion beyond the Model Y factory

'The pace of Gigafactory Shanghai’s construction has reached a point where it is now normal to see massive buildings being built from the ground up in but a few months. Over the past few months, all eyes were focused on the site’s Phase 2A zone, which happens to be the upcoming Model Y factory. Recent flyovers of the Gigafactory Shanghai complex show that the construction activities in the area are now going far beyond the Model Y plant.'
Old 25 Jun 2020, 14:49 (Ref:3983798)   #672
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In construction terms as long as it's not complicated, involving embedded services etc. then a building can be erected very quickly. The reason is technology allows for larger but lighter componentry so once the "slow works" of excavations and concreting are completed, the structures are pretty quick to go up. In the case of Tesla no doubt the controls and manufacturing equipment are a standard component. Plug and play if you will.
Old 25 Jun 2020, 18:56 (Ref:3983836)   #673
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Apple adding cycling directions and EV routing to Maps in iOS 14

'The company announced that Maps in iOS 14 will get a new “EV routing” feature, too, making it possible for users to plan trips around where and when they’ll need to charge their electric vehicles. The company previously only allowed users to route to or from certain chargers in Maps, but now it will be able to include or add chargers to a trip, even on the fly. Apple says Maps will be able to “track your current vehicle charge and factor in things like elevation to automatically add charging stops along the way,” and that it will only route to compatible chargers. Of course, to get that deeply integrated means the company needs cooperation from automakers, and so Apple said it’s only working with Ford and BMW to start.'
Old 25 Jun 2020, 21:20 (Ref:3983865)   #674
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Historically Accurate.

Old 25 Jun 2020, 21:33 (Ref:3983866)   #675
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And if you believe that, you can knit fog.
Closed Thread