Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jul 2007, 19:09 (Ref:1957056)   #1
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Silverstone

While I have never visited Silverstone during the time I lived in England..It would be a travesty to loose this race from the calendar as it really is one of the worlds great remaining race tracks..

It would appear that it does indeed need some upgrades the general appearance of the place is well, rather tatty to say the least.. Your thoughts!
Old 7 Jul 2007, 19:21 (Ref:1957064)   #2
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tatty - yes
Unacceptable - No

The last few times i have been, i never got the feeling the place was a dump. Admittedley it does need some work, but i think the matter is over exagerrated. Ecclestone needs to realise, Silverstone needs to have a Grand Prix, and him chuntering away about upgrades, and threatening to take it away does not help.

I'd rather have a grand prix at a mediocre facility Silverstone than a High quality facility like Malaysia any day

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 7 Jul 2007, 19:37 (Ref:1957076)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I could not agree more James with you concerning a race remaining at Silverstone. It must remain simple as that. Rather than losing it to a spanky, but rather boring, dare mention his name? well never mind you know what I mean *bland* new circuit..
Old 7 Jul 2007, 19:42 (Ref:1957079)   #4
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the place is still fantastic !.. It could do with new Pits being built to bring them up to more current standard , but overall i really dont see what it wrong with the place apart from that . It looked lovely on the TV today .. I wish i was there !
Old 7 Jul 2007, 20:00 (Ref:1957091)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It depends really.

I have a friend who I often go to Silverstone tests with who complains every time about the facilities, about how it isn't as good as Barcelona, blah, blah, blah. The paths aren't lined with gold, the pits aren't good enough (no he doesn't work in them), it's too old.

Also people that have never been near the circuit tend to jump on this bandwagon as well. Silverstone is a disgrace they say, an embarrassment to F1.

It really does my head in. From a spectators point of view, what do you need? A seat with a good vantage point is all you want and you often get it.

From the teams perspectives, again, I see little wrong. The garages etc... are not exactly state of the art, but they are more than adequate.

Not much work is needed all round IMO. A few updates here and there, but nothing needs done that should threaten Silverstones place on the calendar.

It's a fabulous track that demonstrates the speed and agility of an F1 car like no other and it has that old school charm to it. That, really, is all you need.

Besides, it looked quite glorious on TV today.

If I had my way, the F1 calendar would be full of "hell holes" like Silverstone, Interlagos etc...
Old 7 Jul 2007, 20:06 (Ref:1957097)   #6
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it's comparison. The teams get loads of space and top facilities at the Tilke-rings, so Silverstone seems rubbish in comparison. To the ones who haven't been elsewhere it might seem great, but then we/they don't know better
Old 7 Jul 2007, 20:08 (Ref:1957098)   #7
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie cannot get rid of Silverstone - it was where the first ever f1 race started back in 1950. Also with Lewis doing so well axing his home gp would be madness (if anything we should see a second gp in Britain).

The reason its being threatened is that Bernie doesn't like the BRDC (some silly prejudice of some kind) and that the teams have been really spoilt by the new facilities at places like Bahrain and Malaysia.

There are much worse facilities on the calendar. Monaco would be rejected straight away for its facilites if it didn't already exist and Montreal would be written off as inadequate. Imola was rather tatty whe i went there a few years ago, but it survives because of its history (and rightly so), Interlagos is just terrible but it remains due to F1s popularity in Brazil and the lack of any other adequate facilites (that i know of)

Last edited by johntt; 7 Jul 2007 at 20:15.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 7 Jul 2007, 20:14 (Ref:1957102)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But not even the teams really criticise it, even if they are spoilt elsewhere.

Bernie does seem to have this ongoing thing with the BRDC. All rather tedious really.
Old 7 Jul 2007, 20:15 (Ref:1957104)   #9
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maggotts/Becketts
Old 7 Jul 2007, 20:18 (Ref:1957107)   #10
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone else noticed just how well the cameras demonstrate the speeds the cars have this year?
Old 7 Jul 2007, 20:42 (Ref:1957118)   #11
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes. I think there is more use of stationary cameras to give an impression of speed.
Old 7 Jul 2007, 20:42 (Ref:1957119)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Some cameras are situated much lower too. It's been really well done indeed.
Old 7 Jul 2007, 20:56 (Ref:1957128)   #13
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Some cameras are situated much lower too. It's been really well done indeed.
Especially at Maggotts/Becketts, good work by the camera crews!

They had the same effect with the cameras at Spa a few years ago too, worked really well. I'll be there this year though so I won't need them this time!

Last edited by maximus; 7 Jul 2007 at 21:01.
Old 7 Jul 2007, 21:31 (Ref:1957141)   #14
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been a few times and it just feels like a real race track - built and designed for racing not to have a corporate meal and a luxury pee.

I mean, who needs a padded seat when you can sit on a faded plastic school-like chair and get either sunburned to a crisp or soaked to the skin?

Sadly so much of F1 is corporate - that's why it doesn't tick the box for many.

But then again it doesn't ...

a) have sand blowing all over the track
b) court favours with oppresive communist regimes
c) have half empty stands
d) risk drivers lives with concrete walls to decimate cars
e) have no overtaking opportunities

I'm sure other fans could add to the list.
Old 7 Jul 2007, 21:43 (Ref:1957146)   #15
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't get me started on Bernie's plans to get rid of Silverstone ....

The UK, Monaco, Belgium, Italy and the US should be worth at least double points and deffo should be considered uncuttable from the calendar.

HOWEVER, Silverstone, as historic as it is, needs an almost total rebuild. The track is fine, but if there is limits to how much can be built, Rockingham could be redeveloped to hold F1 - not as an instead of, but as an English Grand Prix to go with the British Grand Prix at Silverstone. Germany - with no manufacturers at the time - had 2 GPs, Italy (1) had 2 GPs ... the UK with a whopping SEVEN constructors has 1 round, which Bernie wants to kill to kiss the asses of oil barons in the middle of nowhere.

F1 needs to realise that most of its fans are in Europe and choose the schedule accordingly - European and North American (even if the tracks aren't that full it makes the races great for European TV) races should make up the bulk of the schedule.
Old 7 Jul 2007, 22:07 (Ref:1957159)   #16
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've basically agreed with everything everyone has said in this thread so far. Silverstone did look great on TV today I really wish i could go tommorow, sadly im otherwise engaged with Metallica at Wembley

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 7 Jul 2007, 22:27 (Ref:1957177)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm managing a team at an Under-15s roller hockey tournament.......
Old 7 Jul 2007, 22:50 (Ref:1957195)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
It is wonderful to read how enthusiastic you all are about this magic place..I thought it looked great on TV as well and I will admit that I had tears in my eyes after Q today not sure why exactly? Silverstone reminds me of Wimbledon in a funny sort of way, very *British* I love it with all of it's supposed shortcomings..It's look and feels like a real race track to me, even looking at it on TV in Austin Texas...
Old 7 Jul 2007, 23:11 (Ref:1957207)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
There's such a variety of corner speeds and Becketts must be the best series of corners on any track anywhere in the world.If you were going to build a new track,you would want to replicate that series of bends exactly.Also agree that Silverstone looked great.......in the sunshine.
Old 8 Jul 2007, 04:38 (Ref:1957269)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've been privileged to race on the historic GP circuit which differs slightly to the FIA GP circuit. Club corner is taken at a slghtly shallower angle (you can see the track on the tv) and Abbey is a flat out blind as it always was.

Bridge corner is fantastic and yes, the Maggots/Becketts complex is great once you've figured out the correct entry to Maggots.

The general feel of the place is old fashioned and the pits complex is getting on a bit now but what do you need anyway? The garages are big and spacious, the area behind can fit all the trucks you need and of course there's loads of space for the corporate mobile homes (for want of a better description).

Compare it to Turkey, which is about the only decent Tilke circuit, and it comes out favourably in my opinion.

Bernie has never liked the BRDC although he is/was(?) a member. He always wanted to change things and the club wouldn't move in his direction.
Old 8 Jul 2007, 08:21 (Ref:1957339)   #21
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
I raced at quite a few circuits in the UK, and Silverstone has by far the best facilities I have come across!!! (and scene of my biggest crash, well, one of them)

Rockingham I have been round, but not to race, and can't rememeber what its like!!

James
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 8 Jul 2007, 10:06 (Ref:1957421)   #22
SteveA
Rookie

SteveA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I love Rockingham (been going since it was a buliding site), its primarily a high-speed oval. I does big rumbling V8 stock cars very well, but the F1 fraternity would consider the in-field circuit(s) "Micky Mouse", just as they do Indy's.
Old 8 Jul 2007, 18:50 (Ref:1957874)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
After watching that race, I really don't care what Bernie thinks of the circuit and it's facilities because if Silverstone as is provides that quality of racing then who gives a darn if it does not look perfect..
Old 8 Jul 2007, 19:05 (Ref:1957889)   #24
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA
As much as I love Rockingham (been going since it was a buliding site), its primarily a high-speed oval. I does big rumbling V8 stock cars very well, but the F1 fraternity would consider the in-field circuit(s) "Micky Mouse", just as they do Indy's.
The current infield circuit is used by the BTCC and it is great, it's like Indy in that it has the very fast ovally section but also a twisty infield.
Old 9 Jul 2007, 07:25 (Ref:1958224)   #25
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's good to see the support for Silverstone.

Having worked there this weekend it is looking very very tired and run down. It scrubbed up well with the branding etc that looks pretty on camera but behind the TV pictures its in need of some investment. It's not as bad as Brands was at the end of the Octagon era but it's heading that way.

Having said that, the basic facilities are fine, the teams don't complain about the garages and facilities the way they do about say Magny Cours and their are way more toilets for the punters than at Spa.

AFAIK the problem with Silverstone Circuits investing in tarting the place up at the moment is the ongoing will they/won't they have a GP contract for the next 10 years. It's difficult to persuade investors to invest millions of pounds and to justify spending that amount of money if the short man is going to take away the contact anyway.

The atmosphere there was immense this weekend though, I can't imagine that you'd generate that in China or Malaysia or any or many of the "new circuits" - the crowds in the grandstands were going wild when "their boy" came round, it was fab. BUT whilst that is good for the sponsors who take their guests, the GP industry is now much more aimed at TV audiences and the vast number of people that can be exposed to sponsors that way.

I hope the LH effect will now mean that it would be very difficult for the GP to be taken from the UK and that means Silverstone - much as I like Rockingham you couldn't run a GP there in a million years.