Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 26 Aug 2009, 21:39 (Ref:2528851)   #76
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
I agree with you L.P. However, there is the possibility that the car does get shipped to Italy and has all sorts of parts stuck to it and it becomes a "Ferrari 430 GT2" *wink*458 mule*wink*. A boy can dream, can't he?

Chris
Oh, I think if they do run the 430 it will probably go back to Michelotto for upgrades. But how substantial, with a new car around the corner?

L.P.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 21:44 (Ref:2528853)   #77
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
i agree, i think it was also a misunderstanidin, thinking the new rules would be the same, with fia and aco,

but they could still rehomologate the car to the 14'' tires 100kg more and 9% bigger restrictors, that would mean that the chassis and bodywork would have to be rewoked to fit the larger tires, and the engine would probably have to be remaped
Yes they can re-homologate, but, it is not free. It also seems a lot of work to the 430, in the short period until the 458 is ready. Seems rather a, robbing Peter to pay Paul (wasted resources) scenario to me.

L.P.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 21:49 (Ref:2528856)   #78
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
yeah i guess, but i'd still like to see ferrari and porsche on the same tires, restrictors and weights,
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 00:12 (Ref:2528921)   #79
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Yes they can re-homologate, but, it is not free. It also seems a lot of work to the 430, in the short period until the 458 is ready. Seems rather a, robbing Peter to pay Paul (wasted resources) scenario to me.
But it seems to me like a cheap way to test, in race conditions, how parts they could employ on the 458 work at the higher weight and wider tires. You can put loads on miles around Fiorano or Mugello but wouldn't you rather test some of those parts at Sebring and roll out a much stronger 458?
Old 27 Aug 2009, 01:32 (Ref:2528944)   #80
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why do you want a car with a 3.8 litre (or four litre) flat six need to have the same weight and restrictors as a car with a 4.3 litre V8, arakis?

Chris
Old 27 Aug 2009, 01:53 (Ref:2528947)   #81
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
both ferrari and porshce run on 4l, ferrari stroked down their 4.3 to 4, porsche bored out their 3.8l to 4l well actiualy their 3.2l original engine dates back to 1996 gt1.

Why, because than we will have 2 cars, with the same engine size, restrictor size, weight, and tire size.

because, no matter how much physics FIA and ACO know, there is no way in hell they can have different sized engines weighs, restrictors and tires and say they made fair rules, IMHO best way to know witch car is better, run them in the same format like the 360 and 996. (reason i started watching sports cars)(well actually it was because of NFS4, but that is another storie)

***as for the flat-6 or boxer vs v8, its porsches choise to run a flat six.
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 02:20 (Ref:2528955)   #82
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
But it seems to me like a cheap way to test, in race conditions, how parts they could employ on the 458 work at the higher weight and wider tires. You can put loads on miles around Fiorano or Mugello but wouldn't you rather test some of those parts at Sebring and roll out a much stronger 458?
I'd rather roll out the 458 go through the shake down process and develop race pace in it. In my mind it is a diminishing returns exercise, you take away from the 430 because you are using it as a mule, also the 458 loses out on true development time. It all comes down to how far along they are on the 458.

L.P.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2529181)   #83
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My assumption was they haven't even started on the GT car yet. Since they have an idea of how the 430 runs at the current weight and restrictor, they can use a chassis or two to test how the car improves to know target to build the the 458 to. It can't hurt the 430 too much since don't they have to tweak the bodywork to modify it to meet the rules clarification anyway? Know they had the patch but did Ferrari build a new body panel to meet the rule?
Old 27 Aug 2009, 12:45 (Ref:2529224)   #84
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
I think they should run the F430 as a test for the 458, and simply to be faster next year.

the +8.9% restrictors, and wider tires make a huge difference at le mans, and it would be nice to take the qualifying record + a hat trick at le mans.
because of the huge straight the hp maters more then weight

In my opinion they should at least make a LM specal under those rules

Ferrari F430LM
Old 27 Aug 2009, 13:20 (Ref:2529252)   #85
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
Why do you want a car with a 3.8 litre (or four litre) flat six need to have the same weight and restrictors as a car with a 4.3 litre V8, arakis?

Chris

The answer would be too simple....

Eh, who am I to judge? At least he's behaving now.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 13:25 (Ref:2529255)   #86
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
both ferrari and porshce run on 4l, ferrari stroked down their 4.3 to 4, porsche bored out their 3.8l to 4l well actiualy their 3.2l original engine dates back to 1996 gt1.

Why, because than we will have 2 cars, with the same engine size, restrictor size, weight, and tire size.

because, no matter how much physics FIA and ACO know, there is no way in hell they can have different sized engines weighs, restrictors and tires and say they made fair rules, IMHO best way to know witch car is better, run them in the same format like the 360 and 996. (reason i started watching sports cars)(well actually it was because of NFS4, but that is another storie)

***as for the flat-6 or boxer vs v8, its porsches choise to run a flat six.
This assumes that displacement directly correlates to volume, weight, power, and efficiency of a given engine... which it doesn't.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 15:43 (Ref:2529334)   #87
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gucom View Post
if I may give my humble opinion in this off-topic matter...

1. splatz you were pretty rude, the mistake was understandable, plus the F1 GT was only a homologation special for the '97 GTR, when some1 says "the McLaren roadcar" it's pretty obvious they mean the standard F1.

2. for some1 who behaves so rudely towards some1 for not "taking the effort to look up the facts" it would be nice if you looked up your facts and saw that, in fact, the F1 GTR 1997 is 5mm longer than the F1 GT (McLaren website).

3. let's all be a bit humble and understanding towards each other the aim of this forum, as I understand it, is to discuss racing cars, not to put each other down [/hippy mode]
I am being treated as if this were my opinion, when earlier on I provided a link to the data I am talking about. It is the same on the McLaren Cars website, as that provided in the book, Driving Ambition.

I am aware of that fact the wheelbase was a few mm longer in the 1997 GTR due to the fact the engine and gearbox were lowered compared to the F1 GT, and 1996 GTR.

The issue was clearly not about that, but that McLaren lengthened the race car from the F1 road car. This is not the case, as the F1 GTR of 1995 was the F1 road car with go fast bits on it, and was 90% the same car. McLaren raced for one season with this car.

McLaren evolved the car for 1996 - which was 50% the original bits.

The 1997 GTR was only 10% the same as the road car, and 90% new obviously.

The 1997 GTR was almost entirely a seperate new car, compared to the F1 road car original. So comparing the 1997 GTR to the original F1 road car does not make sense, its apples and bananas.

Quite simply, when McLaren went racing, they developed the F1 GTR for the 1995 season, directly from the F1 roadcar, and they were the same size.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 15:57 (Ref:2529345)   #88
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Please continue with the interesting discussion about the Ferrari, sorry you've been interrupted.
Old 29 Aug 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2530366)   #89
Danny_GT2
Veteran

Ireland
Lucan, Ireland
Danny_GT2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I might search the web for 458 GT2 pics!
Old 29 Aug 2009, 11:43 (Ref:2530367)   #90
Danny_GT2
Veteran

Ireland
Lucan, Ireland
Danny_GT2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.pistonheads.com/pics/news...n_458GT2-L.jpg

Did this Yusuf Pasta chap look @ the Maser MC12 much??
Old 29 Aug 2009, 13:22 (Ref:2530412)   #91
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_GT2 View Post
I might search the web for 458 GT2 pics!

I doubt there'll be any for a while.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 02:28 (Ref:2530823)   #92
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_GT2 View Post
http://www.pistonheads.com/pics/news...n_458GT2-L.jpg

Did this Yusuf Pasta chap look @ the Maser MC12 much??
That may just be a photoshop but that looks great!

Good luck with your photo hunt Danny_GT2 as MJ_N_09 said you probably wont see any for at least six months and that's being optimistic.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 04:54 (Ref:2530840)   #93
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow your right that really does look awesome! I hope the final version turns out like that.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2530874)   #94
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
My prediction...

There's no way that Vitaphone will not run that car. Look at it! It's giving off an MC12 vibe, regardless of the final version.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2530966)   #95
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony@murphythebear.com/blog
I have celebrated Risi since the 360 and I knew they would come back with a updated cars ahead of 2011. It usually takes a year from announcement to fruition that you see another F-series racer from Michelotto and what better team to showcase your new race car than Risi, 2 time defending Le Mans GT2 winners that could easily be 3 time defending. The “stop gap” measure will be as I have heard it -

Direct Injection for the 4.0L engine.

Modified Body Work to house larger GT1 Tires and a new Nose

I would bet on the bodywork/GT1 tires being the bulk of the improvements.
comment by anthony on murphy the bear website
Old 30 Aug 2009, 19:08 (Ref:2531347)   #96
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Not really seeing the MC12 in there myself, but Vitaphone do like to pick the best on offer, so they may well pick up these.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 19:15 (Ref:2531354)   #97
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
And win yet another championship.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 19:22 (Ref:2531367)   #98
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why would Vitaphone go to GT2? The new GT1 championship seems like it's made for them.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 02:03 (Ref:2531635)   #99
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
Why would Vitaphone go to GT2? The new GT1 championship seems like it's made for them.
And what would they run in GT1? slightly OT.
Old 1 Sep 2009, 12:34 (Ref:2532449)   #100
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Well now that you mention it, maybe Reiter's Lambos, since Hans Reiter is German and the Murcielago LP670SV(?) is Italian like the MC12.