Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Feb 2005, 10:49 (Ref:1223590)   #1
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could there still be an F1 without Ferrari?

Well, could there? Ferrari is an industry in itself and is linked to F1 so closely that they are virtually one and the same. Look at an Enzo and what do you see? Not only a work of art on wheels but an F1 car with a roof and a few concessions to practicality. If one half of the equation goes, what happens to the other and on a larger scale, what happens to F1 itself?

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 12 Feb 2005, 10:54 (Ref:1223592)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 would lose quite a bit of it's glamour and prestige, that's for sure.
But I don't think that the absence of Ferrari would be lethal for F1.
As long as Ferrari doesn't join a similar championship like the GPWC...
Old 12 Feb 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1223605)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Of course there would still be an F1, but whether it'd be as widely known and attractive as it is now is another question.

The majority of the general public would probably name Ferrari & Michael Schumacher if asked to name something in F1.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 11:24 (Ref:1223606)   #4
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Ferrari would lose more from not being in F1 then F1 would lose from not having Ferrari honestly
Old 12 Feb 2005, 11:49 (Ref:1223618)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whether there could or not is largely irrelevant.

Ferrari will be in F1 - as will the other nine teams.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 11:50 (Ref:1223622)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It honestly wouldn't bother me that much if they weren't there. Teams come and go, Ferrari are just another team, albeit a very good and old one.

I guess there would be some saddos who'd stop watching altogether purely because Ferrari weren't there, but hey ho.......

People tend to overrate Ferraris presence.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 11:57 (Ref:1223631)   #7
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
henry n. manney III said it best, "a race without ferrari is like an egg without salt"
f1 without ferrari is no longer f1 and at best would be just another racing series which it damn near is nowadays anyhow..
and i disagree with knowlesy's statement that people overrate ferrari's presence....ferrari is, as they say in hollywood, 'box-office' and THE major draw for the CASUAL fan....
Old 12 Feb 2005, 12:01 (Ref:1223636)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are lots of series without Ferrari. Le Mans is still a great event and a crowd puller, yet Ferraris presence in it is pretty small and, dare I say, nondescript. Doesn't seem to affect the glamour of that event.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 12:03 (Ref:1223638)   #9
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I guess there would be some saddos who'd stop watching altogether purely because Ferrari weren't there, but hey ho.......

Ferrari have been here since F1 was created and are an important part of Grand prix racing, if they were to leave I would be very sad, F1 wouldn't be the same with out them.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 12:13 (Ref:1223647)   #10
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, F1 carried on just fine after the losses of BRM, Lotus, Brabham, Tyrrell, etc...
So I don't think that the loss of Ferrari, albeit quite sad, would be very detrimental to the sport.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 12:14 (Ref:1223648)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It would be sad if they left, yes, but F1 would remain F1.

It'd be very sad if McLaren or Williams were to go as well, they've been around ages too. Nobody seems to get so uptight about them though.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 12:20 (Ref:1223652)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think I'm right in saying that Ferrari merchenise has always been teh biggest selling team gear in the UK, even when they were struggling and Williams and Mansell/Hill hugely successful. The very name has a lot of prestige and passion to it (although the current team doesn't inspire these feelings in me), and it would be the biggest loss out of all the teams, but F1 would survive, and probably be just as strong again within a few years, especially if they leave after a couple of comparaitvely lean years.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 12:27 (Ref:1223654)   #13
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the sport must be bigger than any one team.f1 cant be held to ransom wrong or right by any team it would be a sad day but the sport would go on
Old 12 Feb 2005, 12:30 (Ref:1223656)   #14
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
There are lots of series without Ferrari. Le Mans is still a great event and a crowd puller, yet Ferraris presence in it is pretty small and, dare I say, nondescript. Doesn't seem to affect the glamour of that event.
true, but lemans has been around for many many years....people associate ferrari with f1...f1 could afford to lose mclaren, williams et al., because another could take their place with much more ease than ferrari...
Old 12 Feb 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1223664)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I think I'm right in saying that Ferrari merchenise has always been teh biggest selling team gear in the UK, even when they were struggling and Williams and Mansell/Hill hugely successful. The very name has a lot of prestige and passion to it (although the current team doesn't inspire these feelings in me), and it would be the biggest loss out of all the teams, but F1 would survive, and probably be just as strong again within a few years, especially if they leave after a couple of comparaitvely lean years.
Well put Boots.

Would it hurt? Absolutely.

More than other teams? Absolutley.

Would F1 survive? Of course it would.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 13:20 (Ref:1223685)   #16
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2728
f1 could afford to lose mclaren, williams et al., because another could take their place with much more ease than ferrari...
Maybe, but they would probably be as competitive as Minardi. If the other teams leave with the manufacturers could F1 survive with just Ferrari and a bunch of minnows?
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 12 Feb 2005, 13:22 (Ref:1223691)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Boots, that it is.

1986 was my favourite F1 year and where were Ferrari then (in terms of performance).
Old 12 Feb 2005, 16:35 (Ref:1223779)   #18
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Even if they're mid-field runners, like they were in the 90s, they were still important to F1.

Jean Alesi had a great chance of future success when he could have joined Williams, but opted for Ferrari.
The reason why is passion, and Ferrari is F1.

Also when Michael Schumacher joined Ferrari after those titles at Benetton, he wanted a new challenge, also Ferrari is like no other team.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 20:54 (Ref:1223912)   #19
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
f1 and ferrari would both be worse off without each other, yes i think f1 would survive but for me some magic would be gone. any race, in any series in the world is enriched by the presence of a ferrari on the grid, and i definately wouldn't agree with people saying that they are just another team, or that their loss wouldn't be felt more than if williams or mclaren left(no insult intended to either team), even lotus going to the wall doesn't come near to the impact that ferrari leaving f1 would have.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 21:21 (Ref:1223916)   #20
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It honestly wouldn't bother me that much if they weren't there. Teams come and go, Ferrari are just another team, albeit a very good and old one.

People tend to overrate Ferraris presence.

I beg to differ. Ferrari are just "another" team..I don't think so
Old 12 Feb 2005, 22:20 (Ref:1223951)   #21
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
F1 would lose quite a bit of it's glamour and prestige, that's for sure.
But I don't think that the absence of Ferrari would be lethal for F1.
As long as Ferrari doesn't join a similar championship like the GPWC...
Why? When a team like Lotus disappeared of F1 many people whinged about its demise but the show of F1 went on... And Lotus was a team which was almost at the level of Ferrari in historic issues, before the consolidation of McLaren and Williams.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 22:41 (Ref:1223958)   #22
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The thing is... Ferrari should not win so often... and then everything would be perfect.
If u see "fight" in F1...it doesn' matter who wins, as long as u have First Class entertaiment. Ferrari are the best in everything, they are the best know, and they have the best driver at the moment... so that's what makes them good at the moment.
Remember when MClaren had Hakkinnen...? They were pretty good weren't they. And we also have BMW, Honda, Toyota, Renault that are trying to beat Ferrari. All they need is a good driver. Be sure when that happends... u'll have F1 entertaiment. And mark my words things will change. And then u'll see Ferrari strugling to beat the others.... See u soon in a couple of years.... or maybe longer... only God knows!
Old 12 Feb 2005, 22:59 (Ref:1223965)   #23
Burd
Rookie

Burd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still can't believe F1 has carried on without Team Lotus!
Old 12 Feb 2005, 23:00 (Ref:1223966)   #24
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul_iulian
The thing is... Ferrari should not win so often... and then everything would be perfect.
They have 21 years of futility to make up for!
Old 12 Feb 2005, 23:57 (Ref:1223996)   #25
ASCII Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola
Why? When a team like Lotus disappeared of F1 many people whinged about its demise but the show of F1 went on... And Lotus was a team which was almost at the level of Ferrari in historic issues, before the consolidation of McLaren and Williams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
Well, F1 carried on just fine after the losses of BRM, Lotus, Brabham, Tyrrell, etc...
So I don't think that the loss of Ferrari, albeit quite sad, would be very detrimental to the sport.