Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 21 Sep 2004, 15:03 (Ref:1102948)   #1
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DaMatta

A good article from Speed:

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/13010/

I believe it highly unlikely that NH will run more than two cars. Although not said, I think CD would favor CCWS over IRL. I hope to see him back.

Last edited by jjspierx; 21 Sep 2004 at 15:09.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 15:04 (Ref:1102951)   #2
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some please fix the link and can a someone PM me and instruct how to do it correctly please. Thanks in advance.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 15:20 (Ref:1102957)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Other sources suggest the Brazilian Stock/Touring Car Series is a more likely home for Cristiano Da Matta than IndyCar would be, although ChampCar is still his favoured destination.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 15:30 (Ref:1102963)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can any ChampCar team afford to run him though? The only real chance is if either Junquiera or Bourdais leave Newman-Haas and leave an open seat, unless other teams manage to find new sponsors.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 15:52 (Ref:1102981)   #5
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How expensive could he be? Wasn't his Toyota F1 salary only $1.5M? Bourdais has been quoted as saying that if he made a move to F1 he'd earn the same or less than he does now. Assuming the current driver susidization exists in 2005, the OWRS guys need to make the intelligent move and ensure there's a 3rd seat for CDM at NH.

In the quoted article CDM says “I’ll head to a team I know I can win races for – being competitive is all that counts.” The team that best embodies this quote is NH in CART. Worst case scenerio Forsythe gets Cicale back or some other team steps it up and is on equal footing with NH. Who knows which engine/team will be the best next year in the IRL? Next year AGR drivers could be fighting for 10th place finishes or Ganassi could dominate the podium at every race.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 16:19 (Ref:1103008)   #6
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
(Moderators, my apologies for posting the paragraph below in more than one thread, but I felt it to be necessary.)

Some Brazilian pundits believe that Newman/Hass will run to cars at Champ Car for Cristiano da Matta and Sébastien Bourdais (who is believed to remain in the series for another year even if he wins the championship) and that Bruno Junqueira is the one moving to the IRL.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 16:26 (Ref:1103013)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That is another possibility Muzza - although it wouldn't be great news for ChampCar, I'd rate CdM as a greater talent and bigger 'draw' than Bruno, although it'd be bad news if the series goes to Brazil with no Brazillian in contention.

Note the correct way of writing da Matta - Muzza's explained in great detail the exact reasons why only that one way is correct.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 19:56 (Ref:1103234)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Muzza
(Moderators, my apologies for posting the paragraph below in more than one thread, but I felt it to be necessary.)

Some Brazilian pundits believe that Newman/Hass will run to cars at Champ Car for Cristiano da Matta and Sébastien Bourdais (who is believed to remain in the series for another year even if he wins the championship) and that Bruno Junqueira is the one moving to the IRL.

I thought that many of us felt that Haas running an effort in the other series with Bruno driving was not going to happen after the announcement in Montreal about McDonalds with Paul and Carl stating they were still togehter and would remain so....

Did I miss another piece of news somewhere that said this door is still open for Haas to field his own effort in the IRL while remaining involved with Paul in Champ Car???

Please enlighten me....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 21 Sep 2004, 20:21 (Ref:1103261)   #9
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What Tim said. :confused:
Old 21 Sep 2004, 20:44 (Ref:1103281)   #10
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What exactly are you going on about Tim?
Old 21 Sep 2004, 20:52 (Ref:1103290)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some Brazilian pundits believe that Newman/Hass will run to <A TITLE="Click for more information about cars at Champ Car for Cristiano da Matta and Sébastien Bourdais (who is believed to remain in the series for another year even if he wins the championship) and that Bruno Junqueira is the one moving to the IRL.

Since when Is Bruno going to the IRL?????

THis has been hashed and re-hashed....

and if he was going to go to the other Series, it would be with Haas.

But Haas and Newman...at least from their statements made on the day that McDonalds became the "Official Fast Food" of OWRS seemed to indicate that Carl isn't going anywhere...

I thought this speculation about Haas racing in the IRL is now history...

So if Bruno is going to the IRL (per Muzza's post quoting the Brazilian pundits), who is Bruno going to drive for????

Unless I've missed something here, it has been my understanding that bruno isn't going to the IRL either...at least not with Haas

Now tell me if that is right or wrong???

I'm questioning the "pundits"...because I thought the whole "Haas and Bruno" thing had been put to rest...

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 21 Sep 2004 at 20:55.

Old 21 Sep 2004, 21:21 (Ref:1103322)   #12
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see...the "pundits" never mentioned anything about Bruno going to the IRL with Haas. You were the one who brought up Haas. When I read that quote from Muzza, I didn't for a second start speculating that Haas was going to enter Bruno in the IRL. I personally don't think these "pundits" are accurate either way, but we'll see in due time I suppose.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 21:23 (Ref:1103324)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
BTW....

If da Matta is coming back to North American open-wheeled racing, it'll be in OWRS....

and Someone will find a way to "afford" him....that's too much talent to pass up...

period...

Old 21 Sep 2004, 21:33 (Ref:1103330)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
The way I read the total context of that statement seemed ti indicate that....

and the only rumors associated with Bruno going to the other Series also are tied with Haas....unless you know something different....

any existing teams in the other Series have been linked with possibly hiring Patrick Carpentier....

Personally, I don't see Bruno going anywhere....and I see him driving with N-H next season....

and if I were a betting man (and I'm not), Bordais would be the guy that I would see moving onward....and he wouldn't be staying in North America....

all of this is speculation anyway....

But I also think that someone would find a way to sign da Matta to their Champ Car team if at all possible....

I

Old 21 Sep 2004, 23:02 (Ref:1103396)   #15
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmm... it's just a thought... but perhaps we will see da Matta next year in a Dale Coyne car, together with Servia (again) and building up a strong top team... Dale always is good for a surprise and who knows, he gets some new sponsorship together (so he did for Servia this year)... that would be fun, seeing the Dale Coyne cars put the hammer down in 2005... its to bad that I don't have the money, I would spend it at once...
Old 22 Sep 2004, 13:21 (Ref:1103845)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
That might be a possibility....but I would think that a more well-heeled team would step forward to get him....

Old 22 Sep 2004, 13:29 (Ref:1103853)   #17
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I highly doubt da Matta would be interested in driving for Coyne, considering what he said:

“I’ll head to a team I know I can win races for – being competitive is all that counts.”

For some reason I just don't see Coyne matching that criteria..

Newman/Haas in Champ Car or Ganassi in IndyCar would be my main bets when it comes to da Matta's 2005 season.

Last edited by rustyfan; 22 Sep 2004 at 13:30.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 14:03 (Ref:1103878)   #18
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Quote:
Originally posted by carsten66
[...]Dale always is good for a surprise and who knows, he gets some new sponsorship together (so he did for Servia this year)... [...]
I heard at Long Beach that Paul Gentilozzi's hand was behind the Yoke TV contract with Dale Coyne Racing.

About the comments putting da Matta at Newman/Haas and Junqueira in the IRL: I just checked with a Brazilian journalist and it seems that Bruno himself is the source. Bruno would have said that he is disappointed with the team (he did say that at Laguna Seca on Saturday in a rather emphatic way, and also in Milwaukee - but then, he always complains about something else when his performance is below par) and that he knows that "Cristiano has a place in this team". About the last statement, I can say that since I begun to follow CART and now Champ Cars at tracks, in 1999, Cristiano is in fact the driver that had the closest relationship with the team owners - particularly Carl Haas, who is very fond of da Matta.

Bruno also would have said that he "will believe the team will race three cars when he sees it" and that "he is looking elsewhere for next year". According to the person I talked with the word "elsewhere" was a reference to the IRL.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 14:09 (Ref:1103884)   #19
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Intersting info there Muzza, and spinning along the lines of Junqueira going to IndyCar - I wonder what the chances are of him ending up back with Ganassi (considering the third-car rumors out there)? What were the feelings between Ganassi and Junqueira when they split?

Just letting my mind wander off here..
Old 22 Sep 2004, 14:20 (Ref:1103891)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Bruno himself is the source????

That info is a shocker to me....

but a reunion with Ganassi (per rustyfan's post)???

I thought the parting of ways was not a good one, but that could be yet another one of my "misinterpretations"....

Maybe he could be the third driver over there for Ganassi...

Either he is seriously considering this, or he is playing this one out to see if he can leverage something to stay in Champ Cars...

Old 22 Sep 2004, 14:31 (Ref:1103901)   #21
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
[...]

I thought the parting of ways was not a good one, but that could be yet another one of my "misinterpretations"....

Either he is seriously considering this, or he is playing this one out to see if he can leverage something to stay in Champ Cars...
Cheers, Tim,

As you, I also believe that the split between Bruno and Ganassi was less than friendly.

Bruno may be playing words to stay at Champ Cars - but this would be a risky game:

1.) Bourdais is understood to remain at Champ Cars even if he wins the title unless Renault puts him in a top seat at GP2;

2.) I believe (as I wrote above) that Haas and Newman have a soft spot for da Matta;

3.) Having followed Newman/Haas for a while, I would be extremely surprised if, in case of need, they would choose to keep Junqueira instead of Bourdais;

4.) If Bruno plans to stay at Champ Cars, where would he land? There are not many options. Rocketsports? Pure speculation, and hardly a car as competitive as the one he has now.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 16:14 (Ref:1103976)   #22
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt

Methinks you didn't read my post close enough - that was pretty much the exact thing I was wondering about (how the split was etc)..
Old 22 Sep 2004, 16:40 (Ref:1103995)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
That makes three of us, rustyfan....(you, me and Muzza)

BTW...Thanks, Muzza, for this update and the expanded thoughts on this issue..

Old 22 Sep 2004, 17:27 (Ref:1104047)   #24
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would point out that earlier Liz made some very strong hints that Junky very much wanted to stay in this series. Where is Liz anyway?

Why on earth would Bourdais leave CART to drive in GP2? :confused:

Junky is upset with the performance of his team? If you want to be in top level open wheel the only team that has more performance in their series is Ferrari! I didn't hear MS complaining that his F2004 can only lap ever car once per race so what's Junky complaining about? Often people use the media to further their goals, I hope this is one of those cases.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 16:07 (Ref:1105101)   #25
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I think Junquiera OR Carpentier would prefer to stay in OWRS....

But if you're the possible "odd man out" on your respective teams, and you are driven by being a competitor and being with a team that can win, what can you do???

Going to the other Series is probably NOT their first choice...but it may be their ONLY choice if they want to:

- Get paid what their are worth, as opposed to paying to drive for an also-ran team that will be mid-pack in OWRS

- Drive for a weill-funded operation that can, and will, do what ti takes and spend what it takes to win races....

With both of them, tI think they will go where the money is and where they can race up front....

and from the previous posts in this thread, that seems to be the IRL...

even though it is not where they would prefer to be...

There are certain economic realities that could make the choice for them