Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 May 2005, 10:38 (Ref:1294265)   #1
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
..Towards the end of #1 practice sessions?

Watching this first session of the Catalunya GP, for the empteenth time most top drivers keep from getting onto the track, and the others avoid pushing hard, infact once again the leader is a 3rd driver.

The reason is clear: with the 2 races per engine rule, risks of overcharging engines are stronger than the information benefit.
Nonetheless people keep paying expensive tickets to watch less and less.

Now, my reflection: under the current circumstances it could happen one (not too far) day that every racing driver stays in the pits, with only a bunch of 3rd drivers testing, making the #1 session absolutely uninteresting to fans.

How to sort it out?

AT a glance, I see two possible solutions:
1) Granting every team a 3rd driver and making it the 3rd drivers-only session
2) Erasing it from the schedule, anticipating to friday afternoon the qual #1, and to saturday the qual 2

What do you think about?
Old 6 May 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1294271)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well the simple way is get rid of two, or one, engines per race. However I like your post where you think of ways to improve the the current situation.

Well you could say that the Friday running doesn't count toward the engine. They can use any engine they like.

Or perhaps say the two races start on Saturday morning? That is tricky as it only solves it for every other race and what id someone has a blow up in the second race.
Old 6 May 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1294272)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Frankly, this engine economising crap is getting slightly ridiculous. It supposedly was introduced for cost reasons, but surely the dyno time has been multiplied several times over, negating any savings?

If they must limit engines, I think teams should be allowed two engines for two weekends. They could have an engine to cover all the practice sessions over two race weekends and an engine to cover the final qualifying sessions and races.

Even better, seeing as no money is actually being saved, they should let up on engine saving regulations. They are stupid, they penalise the fans and they penalise the drivers for no fault of their own. Amazing.
Old 6 May 2005, 10:50 (Ref:1294277)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
If they must limit engines, I think teams should be allowed two engines for two weekends. They could have an engine to cover all the practice sessions over two race weekends and an engine to cover the final qualifying sessions and races.
Perhaps not a bad idea. The teams can use them as they see fit, but it would give them a little flexibility to run more practice laps.

Another suggestion is to introduce a minimum limit on practice laps.
Old 6 May 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1294306)   #5
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having read Mr. E's test proposal:
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=24312

I wonder what would happen about the 2 race engine rule, perhaps they wouldn't count the Friday as part of the GP and so allow all cars to test with a different engine (or two) without limiting their laps?

If so then it sounds OK to me.
Old 6 May 2005, 12:03 (Ref:1294321)   #6
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It could be time to switch to 2-day race weekends. Otherwise a system where a team gets one engine for 2 successive Fridays and another for the serious running would be a good idea - it would also give the mechanics something to do on Friday evening.
Old 6 May 2005, 13:06 (Ref:1294379)   #7
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Friday shouldn't count in the 2 races per engine rule.
That day should be used as a testing day. Fans would get plenty of time to see
the cars.
Old 6 May 2005, 14:34 (Ref:1294427)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0MAT01
I wonder what would happen about the 2 race engine rule, perhaps they wouldn't count the Friday as part of the GP and so allow all cars to test with a different engine (or two) without limiting their laps?
it think thats the way it would have to be if he plans on letting teams run for several hours on fridays. as well if a team does more than 10 test days they cant participate on fridays/and since there are no limit on the number of engines you can use in testing then it makes sense if that also applies to this new proposed friday testing.
i like the idea but with two tire manufactures and ferrari standing strong that they should be allowed to test "an equivalant number of KM's as michellin" i saddly don't see it coming into effect.
Old 6 May 2005, 15:28 (Ref:1294459)   #9
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0MAT01
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=24312

If so then it sounds OK to me.
He says this could be put through the Formula One commision.

I think that means that it might come into effect in 2006 or 2007.

As far as I know, by that time the 6 race engine rule (which has been announced a coule of years ago) is supposed to be already in effect.