Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 May 2001, 19:51 (Ref:94901)   #1
Victor Broccoli
Racer

Victor Broccoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valentino Rossi To Test At Jordan?

New speculation suggests 500cc motorcycle young gun Valentino Rossi will test a Jordan F1 car later this year.

Rossi, known for standing up on his GP-bike as he crosses the line to take victory, reportedly spoke to Jarno Trulli about a test when the two met at the recent Spanish 500cc Grand Prix.

Trulli took the idea to Team Boss Eddie Jordan, who was believed to be ‘receptive’ to it. Jordan has a past history of testing drivers outside Formula One in his cars – Rally star Colin McRae tested a Jordan 196 at Silverstone five years ago.

Rossi, who rides for the Nastro Azzuro Honda squad, has also driven a rally car, a World Rally Subaru Imprezza last year in Italy, but is said to be keen on experiencing Formula One power.

Max Biaggi was the last GP rider to test a Formula One car. The Italian tested a Ferrari F399 two years ago.
Old 21 May 2001, 21:36 (Ref:94950)   #2
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And very good Biaggi was too. He dragged it round within 7 seconds of TGF, not bad for first time out in a single-seater of any kind. I think Rossi will do well too, but hopefully he'll stick to two wheels
Old 21 May 2001, 23:17 (Ref:94984)   #3
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, if there were any rider I would like too see try it, it would be Rossi. Also, one of the coolest helmets I've seen!

I'd love to see another John Surtees on the grid!
Old 22 May 2001, 00:30 (Ref:95005)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I have always marvelled at Valentino's antics when he first came into 125 cc bikes. I would watch him cornering faster than anyone else, convinced at each corner that he was going to come a cropper. It astonished the commentator as well as me that he remained on his bike for many races, and went on to win quite a few. His riding style is just as exciting now, and his rapid success in 500 cc's is just unbelievable. Would I like to see him test for Jordan? Yes!! And would I like to see him race in F1? Well, this is debatable because I enjoy watching him in 500 cc's so much that his going over to F1 would be a great loss to bike racing, and let's face it - bike racing is so much more exciting than F1. But the thought of Valentino racing in a red machine and beating TGF would be very difficult to pass up, and would probably send the Tifosi into orbit.
Old 22 May 2001, 00:56 (Ref:95010)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Valentino Rossi is fantastic on a bike..I can't wait to see how he does in a Jordan..Very well I suspect..

Regards.....Jeremy
Old 22 May 2001, 01:47 (Ref:95018)   #6
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eddie'd better make it a MotoGP shoot out then with two Honda riders: Valentino Rossi vs. Dajiro Katoh. That boy Katoh is immensely spectacular, both in terms of incomparable speed as well as in immense smooth handling, tactics and racing. Really incredible skills. The way he has absolute balance in his bike but yet is the fastest guy with some distance is amazing and makes you wonder what he could do with a F1 car. C'mon Eddie get two EJ11's ready!
Old 22 May 2001, 03:07 (Ref:95028)   #7
Victor Broccoli
Racer

Rossi vs. Katoh...*drool*.

I could certainly stand to watch that in twin EJ11's...but I'd rather see that matchup on two 500cc machines.

Oh wait...we'll see that next season And throw in Biaggi, and Capirossi, and Roberts, and Checha, and Criville. Put them all in EJ11's!
Old 22 May 2001, 03:33 (Ref:95033)   #8
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And all F1 drivers on GP500's!
Finally the real sliders exposed.
Old 22 May 2001, 03:33 (Ref:95034)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Victor Broccoli
Rossi vs. Katoh...*drool*.

I could certainly stand to watch that in twin EJ11's...but I'd rather see that matchup on two 500cc machines.

Oh wait...we'll see that next season And throw in Biaggi, and Capirossi, and Roberts, and Checha, and Criville. Put them all in EJ11's!
I suspect that Gary McKoy would probably be the most spectacular of these guys in an F1 car. He would probably make it look like a rally car instead.
Old 22 May 2001, 04:15 (Ref:95038)   #10
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah Gary Mcoy vs Rossifume!!

They shud both be given a shot at the red cars!...dont forget the yellow ones dont start off the grid!
Old 22 May 2001, 04:49 (Ref:95045)   #11
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is great news, Doohan tested for Williams (well had a drive) and the next year they took the undeserving German Ralph into the fold. Makes you wonder don't it?

Rossi would be a good marketing move, bright, the teenage girls love him, talented and he comes with a huge fan base aleady.
Old 22 May 2001, 15:54 (Ref:95213)   #12
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This should be an interesting test, for sure. I hadn't thought about Daijiro Katoh before Dino mentioned it, but that would be fantastic too. I get to watch motoGP on speedvision here in Canada, as well as AMA bike racing, and VB is right, bike racing is usually more exciting. Hell, in terms of action, touring cars are more exciting than F1.(except when JPM pushes the envelope )

Motorbikes to open wheelers seems to be a difficult transition to make, not many have done it (I'm thinking Jeff Ward and Eddie Lawson over here)successfully.

Good luck to Valentino.
Old 22 May 2001, 16:47 (Ref:95232)   #13
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has EJ got two positions for test driver? I thought Rico was test driver for him. Will he be fired or get the seat?
Old 22 May 2001, 17:06 (Ref:95246)   #14
Quino
Racer

Quino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im not much of a MOTOGP fan (well, since it tends to swap weekends with carracing events I watch it for lack of anything better) but I always am amazed by the style and speed of Gary McCoy.
Old 22 May 2001, 17:07 (Ref:95249)   #15
Quino
Racer

Quino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh wait, I just saw you mentioning him before

sorry bout that!
Old 22 May 2001, 20:37 (Ref:95311)   #16
Victor Broccoli
Racer

RussianFriend: This will undoubtedly be a one-off test. Rossi gets some laps, the cameras take pictures, and everyone shakes hands at the end and has a lot of fun in the process.

Mr. Zonta should not be filing papers for another job (although, judging by Silly Season rumours, he should be anyway)