Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Jun 2002, 16:04 (Ref:305393)   #1
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Some incredible news about the track !

If you read french, try this :

http://www.24hdumans.net/fr/news/index.html

If not, in short terms : companies along the Hunaudières straight doesn't want to close any more on saturday... so the straight line will move, with public areas includes...

Oh gosh, I don't know what to think... :confused:
Old 5 Jun 2002, 16:54 (Ref:305433)   #2
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully this mean it will stay straight and the ACO don't get funny ideas about sweeping curves, chicanes and hairpins.

What is the time frame for all this to happen ?

Simon
Old 5 Jun 2002, 17:44 (Ref:305479)   #3
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by SL
Hopefully this mean it will stay straight and the ACO don't get funny ideas about sweeping curves, chicanes and hairpins.
Dear Simon, I won't bet on that ( or depending on your mood...)

Quote:
Originally posted by SL
[B]What is the time frame for all this to happen ?/B]
In my first post, I made a mistake in my second sentence : by "short terms", I meant "few words"... it couldn't be short term projects, at my opinion...

Last edited by Fab; 5 Jun 2002 at 17:45.
Old 5 Jun 2002, 19:32 (Ref:305571)   #4
hgb
Racer

hgb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ha ha, good joke. I wonder what the companies will do against hordes of crazy race fans entering and besieging their venues. I guess they will either open up for the full 24 hours or open once and shut for ever.
Old 5 Jun 2002, 20:05 (Ref:305610)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Firstly, my apologies to you, Fab, as I haven't read the report on the link you supplied. I haven't been to it because I'm assuming it's in French (and you know how bad my French is!!).

Where has this story come from?

2002 seems to be the year of "stories" of one kind or another.

First we had the "chicanes" between Mulsanne and Indianapolis.

More recently, the FIA "scare" about flipping cars,

and now this.

How many companies are affected by the closure? Does not the fact that the road has been closed every year since 1923 (give or take the war years) count for anything?

What is concerning me more is that there was of course a plan in 1975 to cut a new straight and link back between Mulsanne and Indianapolis, which Clausager (in his book "Le Mans" published in 1982) describes as being "shelved for the time being."

Are we therefore approaching the "time being"? It would also solve the problem of the speeds between Mulsanne and Indianapolis as well by cutting more than half the long stretch between the two corners.

I don't like the sound of this one much.

Paulzinho - you'd better find some way of getting there this year mate - there might not be much of your beloved Mulsanne left by 2003!!

Last edited by Aysedasi; 5 Jun 2002 at 20:06.
Old 5 Jun 2002, 20:08 (Ref:305618)   #6
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If they do it I swear I will kill them.

Lol, posted this then saw your edit Aysedasi!!

Surely they can't get rid of Mulsanne? That straight IS Le Mans.

Again I may have to reconsider my career options, Looks like I may have to run for Presidency of the ACO!!!

Last edited by paulzinho; 5 Jun 2002 at 20:10.
Old 5 Jun 2002, 22:09 (Ref:305801)   #7
Rhino
Racer

Rhino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A while back i read a book containing old race reports, one from 1974(i think) included a little bit about how the ACO were going to build a new mulsanne straight, sound familiar? i'll try and find it.
Old 6 Jun 2002, 05:40 (Ref:305996)   #8
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Well ,let's try to answer to the questions...

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Where has this story come from?
This is from an interview of the ACO staff during the race introduction at Le Mans last monday... it's absolouely official.

Quote:
2002 seems to be the year of "stories" of one kind or another.First we had the "chicanes" between Mulsanne and Indianapolis.More recently, the FIA "scare" about flipping cars
All those topics come more or less from ACO interviews by french local journalists (reliable, I have to say).

Quote:
How many companies are affected by the closure? Does not the fact that the road has been closed every year since 1923 (give or take the war years) count for anything?

What is concerning me more is that there was of course a plan in 1975 to cut a new straight and link back between Mulsanne and Indianapolis, which Clausager (in his book "Le Mans" published in 1982) describes as being "shelved for the time being."

Are we therefore approaching the "time being"? It would also solve the problem of the speeds between Mulsanne and Indianapolis as well by cutting more than half the long stretch between the two corners.
There's some companies concerned, and also the building sites to sale along the Hunaudières straight.

The 1975 plan was made by a minister who was also Le Mans Burgmeister (?) ; he wanted to protect the race and the track. And yes, we're approaching now the time being. He wanted to build a straight in parallel of the main road...

This won't solve the question of the chicanes : the FIA demanded them...

All that stuff is far from a joke, I can tell you...
Old 6 Jun 2002, 22:02 (Ref:306780)   #9
EliseGT1
Racer

EliseGT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's make Le Mans a puzzle tour, where all the drivers have to pick up products from the local shops ON the circuit.....NOT......Pay those companies next to Hunaudieres for a weekend trip to Disneyland and let them leave Le Mans for what it's supposed to be: the most exciting race at one of the best preserved circuits. Am I right?
Old 8 Jun 2002, 12:18 (Ref:308014)   #10
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
the race was there before most (all?) of the companies
first in place wins
Old 8 Jun 2002, 14:19 (Ref:308076)   #11
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by bernard b
the race was there before most (all?) of the companies
first in place wins
Hello Bernard.
You're right, but I'm afraid business as no respect for history...
Old 8 Jun 2002, 20:18 (Ref:308281)   #12
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So how will the bars on the straight feel about the move. I'm sure most of their annual profit arrives from Le Weekend.

Perhaps an access road would be the answer allowing the current straight to stay and a small service road serving the various companies. It might also allow safe viewing of the straight.

On another angle, would the locals even attempt to shop at the same time knowing the traffic congestion ?

Simon
Old 9 Jun 2002, 07:36 (Ref:308481)   #13
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by SL
So how will the bars on the straight feel about the move. I'm sure most of their annual profit arrives from Le Weekend.

Perhaps an access road would be the answer allowing the current straight to stay and a small service road serving the various companies. It might also allow safe viewing of the straight.

On another angle, would the locals even attempt to shop at the same time knowing the traffic congestion ?

Simon
It seems that the main problem is the "emcombrances" (in other word, constraints) generated by the fact of beeing along the track... not sure that to be closed two or three saturdays each year is the main problem...