Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 10 Jul 2009, 00:09 (Ref:2498707)   #51
matarleton
Racer

United States
Florida
matarleton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Longest Straight

Been awhile since I have been on here but I need a little help with a question...

What is the worlds longest continuous straight, no bends, no direction changes... straight.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 10 Jul 2009, 00:40 (Ref:2498714)   #52
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I take it you mean in closed circuit racing?

I think the FIA currently mandate no longer than 2kms

Take the Mulsanne chicanes away from Le Mans and the longest straight is 3.6km maybe slightly longer, though there is a curve from Tretra Rouge onto the straight and the kink after that aren't really that much of a direction change.

I think Fuji currently has the Longest in F1 (if F1 still exists as we know it) at around 1.5km
Old 10 Jul 2009, 02:58 (Ref:2498738)   #53
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The actual straight part of the Mistral Straight at Paul Ricard is basically right at a mile, and I think the Conrad Straight (shortened by The Chase) is about the same. The straight portion of the Dottinger Hohe on the Nordschleife is probably 2.4-2.5km in length. Negating the chicanes, the longest fully straight section of the Mulsanne is around 2 miles, though the full "straight" is actually about 3.5 miles long.

Matar, there should already be a thread about this on "My Tracks"; I think it was started by Pirenzo. Take a look at it for some other useful figures.

I should note though that often the length of a true "straight" is not as critical as the length of the effective flat-out length of a given section of track. There are two flat-out runs at Spa that are each probably about a mile, or more, in length (La Source to Les Combes is 2,030 meters). However, the longest true straight there is easily under 1km.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 03:33 (Ref:2498747)   #54
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I would say, Tom, that that's in a rather different category, as would be the Carrera Panamericana.

Matar, take a look through this for some good tidbits.

A further note on flat-out runs here would be that Potrero de los Funes in Argentina has a number of long, fast runs, but none of the truly straight bits are actually all that long.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 10 Jul 2009 at 23:03. Reason: Merge complete
Old 10 Jul 2009, 07:16 (Ref:2498806)   #55
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for the F1 venues, indeed Fuji is the winner as we, I believe, have discissed this in the other longest-straights topic.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 11:34 (Ref:2498912)   #56
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, not anymore, because it's not an F1 venue
Old 10 Jul 2009, 14:38 (Ref:2498995)   #57
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that you've mentioned it

Surely they've managed to confuse me thoroughly by naming the race that's gonna be hels in Suzuka the "FUJI Television Japanese GP"

Thx for the correction.

bio
Old 10 Jul 2009, 19:32 (Ref:2499127)   #58
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There have probably beenlonger ones, but Amiens back straight was a biggy.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 19:49 (Ref:2499138)   #59
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
There have probably beenlonger ones, but Amiens back straight was a biggy.
Certainly a long one at over 11.5 km.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 04:46 (Ref:2499286)   #60
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were a few long straights on the old Pescara circuit too....
Old 16 Nov 2009, 03:24 (Ref:2582585)   #61
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
In the "flying kilometer" timed section, one of the Mercedes W125s I think it was, clocked 192mph on the downhill straight at Pescara heading back to the coastal road.

As was said repeatedly on the coverage, that back straight at Abu Dhabi is 1.2km. I think the big straight at the South Korea F1 circuit is supposed to be 1.25km.
Old 8 Apr 2010, 00:55 (Ref:2668561)   #62
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Well, given more recent discussions, the front straight at Qatar is something like 1067m (~3500ft) in length.

The back stretch at Road Atlanta is close to a mile, which makes sense, since Tom could get 10mph more there than on the 4000ft back stretch at VIR. The front straight at Brainerd is also nearly a mile in length (4700ft, IIRC).

It looks like the stretch opposite the pit straight at the new Indian GP circuit is fairly long.

I was just thinking, apart from Monaco, I don't think we've included any of the straights or "straights" from major street circuits in our discussion here.
Old 8 Apr 2010, 01:25 (Ref:2668573)   #63
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the Mulsanne straight both with and without chicanes have been mentioned, undoubtedly a street circuit section.
Old 8 Apr 2010, 02:29 (Ref:2668587)   #64
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
I think you know what I mean better than that. I'm talking about the "round the houses" type street circuits. Yes, Le Mans, old Brno, old Mugello, old Spa-Francorchamps, Reims, Lobethal, etc used closed-off public roads, but those are of a completely different breed than Monaco, Macau, or Long Beach.
Old 28 Apr 2010, 23:54 (Ref:2681415)   #65
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Sorry if I sounded rather snarky in that last post.

Anyway, here's another one to add to the list. The back 'straight" at Motorland Aragon, without the chicane(s), is 1726m long. Of course, MotoGP is using the first of the chicanes on the back side of the course, and doesn't run the straight all the way to the F1 hairpin.
Old 3 Nov 2010, 22:40 (Ref:2784646)   #66
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Just a few, more official numbers:
Abu Dhabi back straight (Turn 7 to 8)- 1173m
Korea Circuit back straight (Turn 2 to 3)- 1150m
Old 4 Nov 2010, 03:37 (Ref:2784735)   #67
AFC-911
Racer

AFC-911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can't mention long straights without thinking about Ehra-Lessien...I know its purpose is for testing, but I think it still belongs in this thread due to its 5.6 mile straight.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 09:47 (Ref:2793756)   #68
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
How long were the straights at Reims, last used in 1966 for a GP? Jack Brabham won it but the circuit was almost a trioval in configuration and 5.187 miles long....

Last edited by Teretonga; 21 Nov 2010 at 09:55.