Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 9 May 2003, 06:13 (Ref:594178)   #1
Aus.CARTfan
Rookie

Aus.CARTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Tracy the best CART driver this year

With Paul Tracy's great start to the year we have to crown him the best in the class!!
There is no one who can match his ability drive to win this year!
Old 9 May 2003, 12:41 (Ref:594479)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yea, Paul seems to have returned to his best recently. I think it's a motivation thing being in a team where he feels wanted and appreciated, the Canadian nature is probably bringing out his patriotic side. He seemed very disinteredsted at Green for most of last year, especially after the team decided to go to the other series.
Old 9 May 2003, 13:51 (Ref:594590)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's worked really hard to prepare for this season. He's lost a ton of weight, is very fit and finally has a team tha is completely behind him. It's a recipe for success.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 9 May 2003, 14:16 (Ref:594611)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I was just going to say that he had lost a lot of weight, I noticed it at Brands last weekend. Good luck to Paul, he was consistently fast at Brands and a joy to watch.
Old 9 May 2003, 14:42 (Ref:594642)   #5
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Improving your game (because that he has, being seemingly a lot more focused this year than before) while most of the real opposition leaves the championship is a great recipe for success, no question about it..
Old 9 May 2003, 15:14 (Ref:594673)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I think he'd be doing equally well if the defectors were still here. If you look at his performance relative to those that did stay (Junqueira, Carpentier, Fernandez, etc) he has improved greatly. The rest are still running in around the same spots they were last year, so I don't think the field has been weakened that much, if at all. Bourdais is without a doubt better than most of, if not all of the people that left. So, to summarize, pure PT.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 9 May 2003, 15:52 (Ref:594704)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I just hope, for Players sake, that PT clinches the championship before the finale at Fontana. Because Players livery will not be on the cars for that event.
Old 9 May 2003, 15:55 (Ref:594705)   #8
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
PT is definately winning on merit and would be in the same or similar position if this was last year. If anything Junky wouldn't have quiet as many points, so PT's lead would be greater. Maybe PT wouldn't have won 3 in a row, but he'd have been on the podium in all three.

I would go so far as to say Bourdais is better than all who left.
Old 9 May 2003, 16:22 (Ref:594720)   #9
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
12 of the 19 victories in 2002 went to drivers no longer taking part in CART, as did 35 of the 57 available top-3 finishes.

'Nuff said.
Old 9 May 2003, 16:31 (Ref:594725)   #10
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
I would go so far as to say Bourdais is better than all who left.
He's very talented, there's no question about that, and I can't wait to see what his future holds.

Just be glad he's in CART the next couple of years to give Tracy a fight, because he will be off to Formula 1 before too long.
Old 9 May 2003, 18:16 (Ref:594798)   #11
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So far paul is the best, his only real compitition went to F1.

Bourdais is a rare gift to racing; and the French,with a car now, will sign Bourdais for '04 and buy the N H contract.

But my harts with Paul, a great driver and an honest open sort of person. So far hes the best!
Old 9 May 2003, 22:29 (Ref:594972)   #12
Aus.CARTfan
Rookie

So we all agree that Paul Tracy will win the championship this year?
Old 10 May 2003, 00:55 (Ref:595039)   #13
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No I don't. It's way too early and way to close to call PT for the championship. I hope he does.

How many of those victories/podiums went to Da Matta? We've got a few new faces that have a high level of talent, some of the old talent has dramatically improved. (Jourdain & Dominguez)

From 2002 - Dixon, Franchetti, Andretti, Kannan, Brack are missing. Dixon hadn't had much success, but would have. Franchetti had a team with problems. Andretti didn't have it on the road courses and is about to retire. Kannan was pretty good but didn't have the results to back it up. Brack had a miserable season. In terms of losing dominant players you could argue losing the Penske drivers was more of a blow. CART clearly lost some talent from 2002 to 2003, but its not as bleak as all that.

Last edited by Snrub; 10 May 2003 at 01:03.
Old 10 May 2003, 01:20 (Ref:595050)   #14
Aus.CARTfan
Rookie

I honestly dont think that there is any one in the field that can beat PT this year besides Bruno.
Jourdain started the year great but will not be in the running at the end of the year.
Sebastian Bourdais will make to many "rookie mistakes" to win the year.
Old 10 May 2003, 03:17 (Ref:595082)   #15
Aus.CARTfan
Rookie

What are your thoughts on Teigo Monterio??
Old 10 May 2003, 03:28 (Ref:595086)   #16
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul has stiffer compition than Christiano faced last year.
Old 10 May 2003, 06:14 (Ref:595134)   #17
Aus.CARTfan
Rookie

I have to agree although i still think PT will win the cup this year
Old 10 May 2003, 06:26 (Ref:595137)   #18
VIVA_Carpentier
Rookie

VIVA_Carpentier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Paul Tracy the best CART driver this year "

Surely, he is a great driver. But they are again 15 races. Many things can arrive again. But, I'm not sure we can said now(at this moment) than he is the best. The season is long again, and Carpentier, Bourdais, Jonquiera, Tagliani and Joudain(...others) are there again. Now Carpentier have again some problems with the LOLA, otherwise they are not a big difference between Tracy and Carpentier. I suspect Carpentier, better than Tracy in the second parts of the years. We will see... But the season is again short at this moment..... We will see........
Old 10 May 2003, 06:29 (Ref:595138)   #19
Aus.CARTfan
Rookie

What we can all look forward to is one of the closest years yet.
With all the talented drivers this year whoever wins will deserve it!
Old 10 May 2003, 07:12 (Ref:595143)   #20
VIVA_Carpentier
Rookie

VIVA_Carpentier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think, that finish this time. But I really don't like the way the direction of the Champ Car has played to Brands Hatch. It's not the good way to represent the serie in the word(europe). And I hope a good race to Lausitzring...
Old 10 May 2003, 11:58 (Ref:595282)   #21
Aus.CARTfan
Rookie

I agree with you VIVA_Carpentier but we still only had 3 retirements in the race and we watched some great racing.
Old 10 May 2003, 22:09 (Ref:595728)   #22
Aus.CARTfan
Rookie

What a dismal qualifying performance from PT
Congrats Sebastien!!!
Old 10 May 2003, 22:58 (Ref:595773)   #23
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
As I said in a different thread, it's 99% car for this one. A quick glance at the time sheet should make that pretty clear. Even Paul said it was just foot to the floor, turn left.
Old 10 May 2003, 23:34 (Ref:595788)   #24
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mario has a great respect for ovals!
Old 11 May 2003, 01:29 (Ref:595832)   #25
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's not forget, PT either wins or doesn't finish. There's lot's of season left. As for the Player's qualifying performance... it was mentioned in another thread that they were probably running a race setup to be better prepared. And remember, it's a 500 at an oval. Where you start has little to do with where you finish.... let's hope