Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guy Smith to join CART?!

http://www.totalmotorsport.com/News/...p?ID=1923&Typ=

CHAMP CARS

06/10/2003

Smith Waits For Champ Car Test Drive
Former Le Mans Winner Looks Ahead

Smith Waits For Champ Car Test Drive

Guy Smith, Le Mans 24 hour race winner, returned from the Miami Grand Prix of Americas this week with high praise for CART and a potential test drive in his pocket.

A former Indy Lights rookie of the year, Smith is determined to return to single seater racing in the USA and move up to the Champ Car series and his commitment is close to paying-off. A test drive with a leading team is on offer to Smith and he knows this could be a pivotal time in his career and a coveted opportunity to show his talent in a 200+mph racecar. As Smith says, “It’s a tough marketplace in motor racing at the moment. There are lots of very good drivers looking for very few real chances to get in a race car. I’ve been given a boost with the promise of a test drive and I’ve got to make it work. If I want to get back into competitive single seater racing, I’ve got to perform at the top. CART is looking much healthier now and I think we’ll see it going back to where it rightly belongs as a premier racing championship.”

Smith knows how demanding these cars are, and understands the physical and mental pressures that are put on the driver, so he’s accelerated his winter training programme to make sure he’s in tip-top condition and ready to climb back in a champ car at a moment’s notice.

“Winning Le Mans was a big high for me this year” comments Smith. “I had a host of promotional appearances and sponsor activities in the month or so after the race, and my regular training programme was interrupted. But I’ve got an intensive schedule now in readiness for the test call-up, as I want to be totally prepared.”

Aside from his preparations to test in the USA, Smith is back on track this month, as one of the guest drivers at the International Racing Festival in Copenhagen, where he will be giving passenger rides in aid of the Danish Cancer Society. In November, Smith will travel to the sunnier climes of Tenerife for the annual Race of Champions, which will give him his first taste of rallying.

If you want to check out his website...http://www.guysmith.com/

Last edited by Dov; 7 Oct 2003 at 00:32.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 11:43 (Ref:742859)   #2
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although Guy has been making a big name for himself in sportscars, i'd love to see him get a top CART drive. Any idea's who the test is with!?!
Old 7 Oct 2003, 14:37 (Ref:743084)   #3
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi pink69,

Sorry, but I don't know who the test is with. In the article it says that Guy has a offer to test with a leading team.