Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 29 Sep 2010, 11:10 (Ref:2766550)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Österreichring/A1 Ring returns?

Or should I say Red Bull Ring?

Does anyone know anything about the reborn Österreichring/A1 Ring?

Here's a video showing whats happened recently.

Last edited by I Rosputnik; 29 Sep 2010 at 11:17.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 11:37 (Ref:2766554)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Well this looks very interesting. There's been rumblings for some time, but it now looks as though they're combining the A1 and Osterreichring to make a safer version of the old Osterreich. Sounds like a fantastic plan to me!!!

Selby
Old 29 Sep 2010, 12:56 (Ref:2766607)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
let me be the first to say... i want to go. badly. i hope they run some more stuff there next year.

and also: this is a proper contribution to motorsport! good on the red bull guy for sorting this track out.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 13:38 (Ref:2766630)   #4
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice to see this track being brought back! The 2011 DTM race date doesn't work out well for me sadly, but I'm keeping this track in mind for 2012.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 16:12 (Ref:2766694)   #5
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Wikimedia map

Wow, this is shocking! Will they make it in time? I hope so. I really liked the A1-Ring - see this. Reopening the track with more layouts is awsome.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 16:29 (Ref:2766703)   #6
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, they're reusing part of the original track!
Old 30 Sep 2010, 08:39 (Ref:2767011)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yep, it's a proper combination

See, I wish they'd do this for more tracks. Rather than butcher them, just add alternatives around them and keep one of two of the original corners for the layout.

Selby
Old 31 Jan 2011, 18:12 (Ref:2823370)   #8
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Have they finished the track yet?
Old 1 Feb 2011, 14:50 (Ref:2823923)   #9
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Good point. It's meant to be on the calendar for this year's DTM, apparently.

Selby
Old 1 Feb 2011, 14:56 (Ref:2823931)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
What worrys me is the lack of 'official'ness. There's no website for it. Nothing.

Selby
Old 25 Mar 2011, 14:43 (Ref:2853081)   #11
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
I could not find anything either, even on Red Bull's website there seems nothing to be found about the track.
Is the track still planned with the original track of the old österreichring combined with that of the old a1 ring ?
If someone has more info then please let us all know.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 07:16 (Ref:2854664)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
What they did to this track in 1995 is beyond human understanding.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 08:54 (Ref:2854715)   #13
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
It's surprising how little I can find about the Osterreichring.

I can find alot 'in the day', but I can't find anything about the site as it is now, why it was demolished in 1995, and what's happening for the forseeable future.

Selby
Old 15 May 2011, 06:50 (Ref:2880477)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91404

the circuit has been finished and opened... oh ye of little faith
Old 15 May 2011, 09:35 (Ref:2880529)   #15
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see Austria re-installed on the F1 calendar. And I think I am not the only one. Even Bernie paid a surprise visit to the track yesterday. The Red Bull Ring would be a nice alternative for those 'difficult' places such as Bahrain or Turkey, Ã*nd much closer to the ever important European market.

Austria brings back very good memories of really exciting races. Vittorio Brambilla won his only race at the Oesterreichring in 1975, and Zeltweg was also the venue where Ronnie Peterson won his last race in 1978.

Btw: I think this is the more or less official site.
Old 15 May 2011, 10:03 (Ref:2880542)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
DTM will race there on June 5th.

http://www.dtm.com/rennen.php?rennen=2011-06-05
Old 15 May 2011, 12:57 (Ref:2880613)   #17
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The A1 Ring should never have happened.

Destroyed one of the best tracks in the world.
Old 15 May 2011, 23:24 (Ref:2880847)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It wasn't a patch on the old layout, but it was still a fun track that usually threw up a good race.

It still had some cool corners and was far preferable to the modern dirge we get now.
Old 16 May 2011, 10:10 (Ref:2880979)   #19
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
It really is like a modern day Tilke track but with 2 major differences:

1) Instead of hairpins there's 90 degree corners

2) It has scenery!

Selby
Old 16 May 2011, 13:09 (Ref:2881041)   #20
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
What they did to this track in 1995 is beyond human understanding.
It is fully understandable. Bernie wanted to squeeze more money out of the circuit and in the attempt to find a good argumentation pro rebuild was to make the spectator seeing the vehicle more often. In other words, shorter distance per lap results in more laps to fill the race distances. And the owners felt flat for it. Not only there though. The case of the ever so new and great Eunuchenheim wasn't much different either
Old 18 May 2011, 07:26 (Ref:2881978)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Official opening of the new Red Bull Ring.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/videos/10...-red-bull-ring
Old 19 May 2011, 20:13 (Ref:2882815)   #22
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The majority of the old circuit still exists. All Tilke really did was make a big short cut between the front and back straight, and square off everything else.