Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 18 Apr 2011, 20:23 (Ref:2866039)   #1
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tips for going to Spa

Never been to Spa, would like to go, but a bit nervous of the Journey down.

Hoping to go to the Renault World Series, any tips or things to avoid?

Are the crowds as big as Donington used to get or Silverstone gets?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old 18 Apr 2011, 21:02 (Ref:2866069)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's well worth the journey, which is simple enough once you realise the signs to Liege/Luik swap between French and Dutch as you progress. The Brussels ring road has a bad rep but isn't too bad, just keep your eye on the signs.

I went there for the F1 at the height of Schumacher's powers and even with hoards of Germans nipping over the border there was plenty of room, so I suspect for the Renault series it won't be too bad. They have much cheaper (or even free!) entry fees there anyway so it won't be too great a draw.

Otherwise, there's no real tips other than to have a stroll around, it's well worth the effort even up the hills

Try and get onto the roof terraces of the both sets of pits. Some excellent views from up there.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 21:08 (Ref:2866071)   #3
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Roof Terraces, that sounds great - thanks!!!
Old 19 Apr 2011, 08:22 (Ref:2866297)   #4
stirling lost
Rookie

United Kingdom
stirling lost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
Never been to Spa, would like to go, but a bit nervous of the Journey down.

Hoping to go to the Renault World Series, any tips or things to avoid?

Are the crowds as big as Donington used to get or Silverstone gets?

Thanks in advance for any advice
In the same predicament myself, have wanted to go to Spa for a couple of years now specifically the summer classic or the Spa 6Hrs but never driven that far abroad before and never managed to find a group to tag along with. I have heard to steer clear of Brussels ring road, also have heard that accommodation in the area is very good and pretty cheap.
Will be interested to know how you got on.
Cheers

stirling lost
Old 19 Apr 2011, 09:01 (Ref:2866315)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As far as WSbR is concerned Bella should be able to give you the griff.

Stirling. The trip to Spa is pretty straightforward. We always avoid the Brussels Ring Road and follow the E42. Slightly confusing at Lille but other than that its a doddle. Both routes do suffer from traffic depending on the time of day.

We're entered in the 6hrs this year so maybe see you there.

For info on who's going etc. keep an eye on the Historics forum.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 09:14 (Ref:2866326)   #6
stirling lost
Rookie

United Kingdom
Thanks for the response Pete, will keep an eye on the historics as you suggest. Your journey discription sounded great until I read "Slightly confusing at Lille" i'm sure with a good satnav I should be ok.

Thanks

stirling lost
Old 19 Apr 2011, 09:18 (Ref:2866330)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Its the Lille ring road and the main junction afterwards on the way to Spa, coming back its no issue. Do it once and you don't have a problem. I tow the race car through there. Actually the journey is all part of the event for us. We take a ferry rather than the chunnel. Makes it all a bit more relaxing.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 10:42 (Ref:2866371)   #8
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling lost View Post
Thanks for the response Pete, will keep an eye on the historics as you suggest. Your journey discription sounded great until I read "Slightly confusing at Lille" i'm sure with a good satnav I should be ok.

Thanks

stirling lost
Satnav, with a little prior research using Google and any other resources available on the internet for specific area familiarisation, should be all you need.

I went for the first time last year (6Hr meeting), albeit not doing any driving as I was in the excellent company of delta in his truck, and I have to say that the journey is indeed part of the trip and that Spa is just a superb circuit facility and well worth the effort to get to.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 12:14 (Ref:2866413)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i do the opposite and avoid lille and france like the plague. just follow your satnav round the brussels ring road which isn't an issue at all so long as you avoid the obvious rush hours in the same way you'd not do the m25 at rush hour here. i suppose it's just down to personal preference - i found brussels a lot more simple apart from a 20km flurry of road changes in the middle.

if accomodation is cheap at spa then i'm looking in the wrong place. even the most basic b&b is extortionately expensive. for the same price you can grab a room in a much nicer more spacious and modern hotel, though since it's for may bank holiday weekend for the world series there's not much left now.

my personal preference is for the tunnel for spa and the nurburgring because it's a pretty short drive on the other side. for the longer drives like spain, south of france and italy i use the ferry to gain some good sleep. having said that, if you're doing anything longer than a 48 hour trip the tunnel is daylight robbery, though its prices are fairly competitive for the may bank holiday weekend.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 12:32 (Ref:2866421)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Each to his/her own. It's perhaps a matter of timing. I usually travel around mid morning on a Weds and rush hour time on a Monday. There is little or no time in it having done both routes.

Good thing about Ferries is you can get breakfast and coffee and relax.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 20:31 (Ref:2866672)   #11
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least take this in account: shedloads of roadworks are going on at the moment. Near Gent, Brussels, Antwerp, Liege. So take your pick.
Spectator wise it will be a "low key" event, somehow they don't get that many people in any more.

I'm smart, I'm at Brands as usual that weekend.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 07:20 (Ref:2866790)   #12
Martin Bull
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Martin Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Each to his/her own. It's perhaps a matter of timing.
That's right. I remember many years ago reading of Denis Jenkinson's favourite route to Spa and it's the one I've always taken. After Namur I drive down the A4/N4 to Marche, then straight across the Ardennes via Hotton/Manhay/Trois Ponts/Stavelot. It's one road all the way (although the number changes as it goes. The equivalent of British 'B' roads ). I love it because it's such a good introduction to the Ardennes, passing through small towns and villages, fields and forests, and many interesting sights (eg the Panther tank at Grandmenil).

Not the best way if you're in a hurry, but if you want the full flavour of the Ardennes, I'd recommend it.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 08:43 (Ref:2866829)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes, I'm familiar with that route but as you say not the most convenient.

There are a number of tanks in various locations throughout the region. It's actually worth spending a few days there. You have Stavelot with its museum including racing cars. The various villages with the war museums and of course the food, which is not just "moules et frits au mayonaise".
Old 20 Apr 2011, 09:56 (Ref:2866854)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
its a definite personal preference for the routes - for fuel economy purposes i always stick to main motorways. where i do the exploring is on the way to and from the hotel.

being fair about the wsr crowd, motorland had 59,000 at the weekend. once you get there you can park for free, walk a relatively short distance and you're in the circuit. in contrast, if the weather is anywhere near unpleasent at spa you have to walk about 1km in the rain, pay to park in a crap field, and if you've not got any preference or personal investment in the races it's a hard graft. last year i thought the crowd was ok - jerome d'ambrosio was doing the f1 demos which seemed to help. this year it's bruno senna, so maybe that'll help too.

on a side note, can anyone recommend a good well priced place nearish the circuit for a nosebag? we don't have very complex preferences when it comes to food, and we're staying in verviers...
Old 20 Apr 2011, 10:12 (Ref:2866862)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Why not raid the Epicerie and the Boulangerie at the top of the hill in Francorchamps?
Old 20 Apr 2011, 11:10 (Ref:2866892)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i was thinking more of an evening nosebag, but that's a fair point. though if it's got cake in it an early day raid might be more wise
Old 20 Apr 2011, 11:23 (Ref:2866901)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'd always recommend the Beau Site at Hockai for a "proper" nose bag. They have some nice beers too. And of course the house specialty desert; blueberry ice cream with cream. That said there's some good cafes in the middle of Stavelot.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2867167)   #18
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
[QUOTE=bella; in contrast, if the weather is anywhere near unpleasent at spa you have to walk about 1km in the rain, pay to park in a crap field, and if you've not got any preference or personal investment in the races it's a hard graft. last year i thought the crowd was ok - jerome d'ambrosio was doing the f1 demos which seemed to help. this year it's bruno senna, so maybe that'll help too.

on a side note, can anyone recommend a good well priced place nearish the circuit for a nosebag? we don't have very complex preferences when it comes to food, and we're staying in verviers...[/QUOTE]

had not thought about car parking, suppose i assumed being a gp circuit it would be well catered for. Is the car parking part of the circuit or independent, and any idea of cost?
Old 20 Apr 2011, 19:49 (Ref:2867181)   #19
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling lost View Post
In the same predicament myself, have wanted to go to Spa for a couple of years now specifically the summer classic or the Spa 6Hrs but never driven that far abroad before and never managed to find a group to tag along with. I have heard to steer clear of Brussels ring road, also have heard that accommodation in the area is very good and pretty cheap.
Will be interested to know how you got on.
Cheers

stirling lost
I nearly always go via the E42 although sometimes come back via Brussels if it's around mid day on a Sunday. The problem with going the E42 is finding the turn off before Dunkirk as it isn't signed very well. I should be doing the Summer Classic and maybe the 6 hours so maybe we can sort something out if you can make either.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 08:15 (Ref:2867393)   #20
stirling lost
Rookie

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I nearly always go via the E42 although sometimes come back via Brussels if it's around mid day on a Sunday. The problem with going the E42 is finding the turn off before Dunkirk as it isn't signed very well. I should be doing the Summer Classic and maybe the 6 hours so maybe we can sort something out if you can make either.
Thanks for the response Tim,

My preference would have been the Summer classic but cant make that date, however you might have a little blue sports car following you to the Spa 6Hrs

Thanks

Derek
Old 23 Apr 2011, 07:45 (Ref:2868483)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'll be spoiled for any other circuit,there is no other event like it in such beautiful surroundings. Type in Spa Francorchamps,you will then have a full choice for area info,hotels etc,it's quite a big choice.
Old 4 May 2011, 12:39 (Ref:2873985)   #22
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Thanks for all the advice, had a wonderful trip to Spa.

So different to how I imagined it from books and TV coverage. Was taken back by the height difference between the formula pit lane and the original pits.

Wish I could of stayed a few extra days and taken in the 1000k's too

Found the museum for the circuit in Stavelot, which worth a look. My kind of Abbey with F1 cars in the basement.

Thanks everybody
Old 8 May 2011, 03:42 (Ref:2876539)   #23
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So,will you go back?
Old 9 May 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2877624)   #24
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
So,will you go back?
Yes I will go back, not sure to what or when. Just wish I had made the effort to in the group C era.

I really wasnt expecting the height changes around the track.

Though the high green fence around the circuit annoyed me - guess it is there to stop spectators climbing over the fence and straying onto the circuit. But it seemed over kill in the extreme, especially where it overlooks the bus stop.

but then views like this make up for it

Old 9 May 2011, 18:11 (Ref:2877634)   #25
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Managed two "tourist attractions" while in the area. The museum at Stavelot Abbey was worth a look. Not many cars, but very nicely displayed

and the caves 30 minutes away at Raumchamps