Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 8 May 2007, 08:17 (Ref:1908807)   #301
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4
I was at the race, so i am less interested in TV time....but your question was who are the top performers. I would interpret that as a being the winners, not the teams that gets most of the TV coverage....
I agree.

I was just trying to understand the 'ratings' that are published by sportscar analytics and what purpose they are put to. Many years ago (when Williams were dominating F1), Williams's sponsors were bothered about the lack of broadcast TV time. The TV programmers paid more attention to where the racing was happening and not the processional pace at the front.

If Sportscar Analytics are just trying to rate performance on the track, that is one thing. If they are trying to rate exposure, potential (Arena Zytek) or somthing else, then I am not so sure they are achieving it. Having the raw data tells very little.
Old 8 May 2007, 08:28 (Ref:1908813)   #302
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
anyway, given the rate at which the Peugeots were zigzagging through the field, they would get coverage during the interruption of many of the battles going on behind them....
Also in terms of media coverage the colour scheme of the Barazi Zytek makes it a sort of magnet for any cameraman and TV director.
Old 8 May 2007, 09:43 (Ref:1908850)   #303
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can Mucke get away with such moves??? Question is, since he already had talking to, will he be on probation or other such punishments...such weaving as described has no place in any sort of racing...

It always seems to happen to Rollcentre - I think I have seen more headlines for Rollcentre like this at www.feedmesportscars.com than any other team!

As for the TV, being the best means little if you make it boring...it's the crowd favourites and good racing that will always win out in the end...well usually...
Old 8 May 2007, 09:51 (Ref:1908854)   #304
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the aftermath of the Mucke vs Dumas incident:

Old 8 May 2007, 10:07 (Ref:1908861)   #305
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouterM
This is the aftermath of the Mucke vs Dumas incident:
I would be very interested in seeing Barbosa in-car video images of that one. He is the car to the right side of the pic....
Old 8 May 2007, 10:09 (Ref:1908864)   #306
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
In all the commotion regarding Mucke, let's not forget that the IMSA Porsche was clearly robbed from victory by the optimistic move of the Saulnier Courage. That car did get a 30 second s&g penalty, but that brought little solace for Norac.
Old 8 May 2007, 10:59 (Ref:1908899)   #307
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed, traffic was a big factor on the track (both normal and ..let's say...extreme traffic) but not outside... I posted some shots of the grandstands at www.planetlemans.com after 3 hours of racing and we lacked local promotion big time!
Old 8 May 2007, 11:14 (Ref:1908911)   #308
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by brielga
Indeed, traffic was a big factor on the track (both normal and ..let's say...extreme traffic) but not outside... I posted some shots of the grandstands at www.planetlemans.com after 3 hours of racing and we lacked local promotion big time!
Interesting shot of the Peugeot drivers at the signature session. All were wearing the same "HDI-FAP" sunglasses (all Peugeot crew did) except Marc Gene. After I asked Minassian about it, he started to explain to Marc what sort of advantages sunglasses could offer, like preventing headaches but Marc said he never wears them...
Old 8 May 2007, 12:30 (Ref:1908963)   #309
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
Quote:
Interesting shot of the Peugeot drivers at the signature session. All were wearing the same "HDI-FAP" sunglasses (all Peugeot crew did) except Marc Gene. After I asked Minassian about it, he started to explain to Marc what sort of advantages sunglasses could offer, like preventing headaches but Marc said he never wears them...
I think with sunglasses on you do see yellow flags...
Old 8 May 2007, 12:34 (Ref:1908965)   #310
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
I think with sunglasses on you do see yellow flags...
or clutch warning lights...
Old 8 May 2007, 13:09 (Ref:1908987)   #311
sportscanyltics
Rookie

sportscanyltics has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
I think for LMP1 the situation is very clear who the top performers are......
Absolutely... but who's the best of the rest?
Old 8 May 2007, 14:32 (Ref:1909045)   #312
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If they're populated at the start of the race, what does it matter if they're empty after 3 hours?

If you want good to excellent crowds in this part of the world you need to run somewhere like Jarama with backing from a company like Repsol, but then teams complain about the facilities.

The Spanish BPR races were always well attended thanks to Repsol sponsorship.
Old 8 May 2007, 15:31 (Ref:1909100)   #313
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
They were very scarcely populated also at the start, JAG (and the entry was for free). If you compare to all the WTCC collateral that was already hanging at the circuit (race is this weekend) I think there is still work to do. But I fully agree that stronger backing (from Peugeot or Michelin for example) could help a lot. I think there is a difference with last year but there is room for improvement. Spanish GT in Jarama compared to LMS was also day and night in 2006 (and Jarama had a bigger crowd than Spa or N-Ring...)
Old 9 May 2007, 00:26 (Ref:1909517)   #314
sportscanyltics
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by canam
I agree.

I was just trying to understand the 'ratings' that are published by sportscar analytics and what purpose they are put to. Many years ago (when Williams were dominating F1), Williams's sponsors were bothered about the lack of broadcast TV time. The TV programmers paid more attention to where the racing was happening and not the processional pace at the front.

If Sportscar Analytics are just trying to rate performance on the track, that is one thing. If they are trying to rate exposure, potential (Arena Zytek) or somthing else, then I am not so sure they are achieving it. Having the raw data tells very little.
Sorry I missed this canam, did you read the portion above each BPR posting?

Just in case:

The BPR ranks the performance of each car relative to a theoretical perfect score of 100. The formula which produces the BPR utilizes data such as fast laps in qualifying and the race, total laps completed, and race result. Race results are of course given greater weight over single lap performance. Race finish and total laps completed ensures reliability is taken into account. The index does not use practice session data and only full-season entrants will be included in the BPR.

The BPR table consists of two separate types of individual ratings, one set is the single race BPR for the three races previous, and the second is a rolling average result over the same three races. The rolling three race average will be referred to as a “Power” rating, indicating the best predictor of performance in the next race. The “Power” Rating is a rolling average so as to better reflect current competitiveness while taking into account outlier results. A Class Competition Rating is also calculated, an average of BPR “Power” ratings for all entries within a class, which is a measure of how close in-class performances are. The higher the CCR, the more likely you’ll see close racing across all entries in a specific class. Any entry with a blank BPR for a particular round was either withdrawn, not entered, or did not achieve 10% of the laps completed by the overall winner. The updated BPR will be posted following each LMS round.

Hope that helps!
Old 9 May 2007, 06:53 (Ref:1909595)   #315
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscanyltics
LMS ratings updated through the results of Valencia:

http://sportscaranalytics.wordpress.com/

Interesting trends setting up for the 2007 season... with Monza and Valencia being such unique events in comparison to what we expect to see the rest of the season, it's hard to determine just how representative the first two rounds have been of who the top performers are.
that looks like a strange formula, as the overall BPR seems not to be weighted against participation or not. The fact that f.i. the Markland Corvette was not in Valencia is not reflected in the table at all.

BTW, what does BPR stand for?
Old 9 May 2007, 07:29 (Ref:1909619)   #316
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Erki has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
BTW, what does BPR stand for?
Blincoe Performance Rating
Old 9 May 2007, 07:36 (Ref:1909623)   #317
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erki
Thanks, so when it is a rolling average, the Marklands rating should now be half of what it was after the Monza race.

Some questions.
What is it being used for and by whom? Has it got some status in sponsoring issues? Will the winner of the BPR be awarded with something?
(Anything inspired from NFL does not bode well in my opinion )
Old 9 May 2007, 08:30 (Ref:1909678)   #318
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
what driver got the pole in gt1 - ortelli or ayari?
Old 9 May 2007, 08:37 (Ref:1909688)   #319
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
Ortelli
Old 9 May 2007, 08:41 (Ref:1909692)   #320
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
cheers mate
Old 9 May 2007, 08:53 (Ref:1909705)   #321
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Ortelli
sorry to correct you Gabriel, but it was Ayari this time....
Old 9 May 2007, 13:27 (Ref:1909880)   #322
sportscanyltics
Rookie

Quote:
Thanks, so when it is a rolling average, the Marklands rating should now be half of what it was after the Monza race.

Some questions.
What is it being used for and by whom? Has it got some status in sponsoring issues? Will the winner of the BPR be awarded with something?
(Anything inspired from NFL does not bode well in my opinion )
If an entrant does not attend a race, in no way would that make said entry half as competitive in the next race it attends (or a quarter competitive if it misses two, etc. etc.).

I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of the ratings... like Sagarin ratings available through USA Today, the BPR is another way of monitoring performance in a way that pure results (or points tables) do not show. Maybe this will help:

http://sportscaranalytics.wordpress....ormance-index/

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin.htm

Not sure what you mean by "status in sponsor issues", but the site is just a free service for the community...

And finally just as an aside, Sagarin, RPI, etc. have rating systems for a multitude of sports (as is evident in the above link), so its not just a system attached to the NFL.

If you have any more questions or concerns, please feel free to ask!

Last edited by sportscanyltics; 9 May 2007 at 13:30.
Old 9 May 2007, 13:43 (Ref:1909886)   #323
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
see below

Last edited by henk4; 9 May 2007 at 13:48. Reason: deleted
Old 9 May 2007, 13:47 (Ref:1909887)   #324
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscanyltics
If an entrant does not attend a race, in no way would that make said entry half as competitive in the next race it attends (or a quarter competitive if it misses two, etc. etc.).

That defies the definition of a rolling average.....Should a car score 100 in the first race and never attend again, than it stays at 100....

I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of the ratings... like Sagarin ratings available through USA Today, the BPR is another way of monitoring performance in a way that pure results (or points tables) do not show. Maybe this will help:

http://sportscaranalytics.wordpress....ormance-index/

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin.htm

Not sure what you mean by "status in sponsor issues", but the site is just a free service for the community...

And finally just as an aside, Sagarin, RPI, etc. have rating systems for a multitude of sports (as is evident in the above link), so its not just a system attached to the NFL.

If you have any more questions or concerns, please feel free to ask!

Thanks for the explanation..
(see my insert in bold above)
Sponsor issues have to be seen in the light of a sponsor preference for high ranked cars.....

I am still wondering about the added value compared to normal racing result tables...(I read your links and I am aware of the American obsession with statistics...)
Old 9 May 2007, 14:15 (Ref:1909900)   #325
sportscanyltics
Rookie

If the car has no data for a particular series of data in a rolling average, and a cell is "null", then the average is computed over one less series of data. Furthermore, there is no logical premise to a car becoming orders of magnitude less-competitive if it does not attend events.

Per your last comment, just with any other sport and its fans, some will take results at face-value. However, when trying to predict results and understand the intricacies of a sport, results aren't sufficiently indicative of true performance. This is true in all sports when one considers factors such as strength of schedule, types of events, luck, trends in performance, etc. etc. Honestly, it really boils down to how an individual monitors a sport whether they will find ratings systems worthwhile.

Call it an "American obsession with statistics", but interestingly enough, the LMS BPR tables have garnered more attention than those of the ALMS on Sportscar Analytics...