Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 7 Oct 2003, 11:52 (Ref:742873)   #1
johnnyBgood
Rookie

United States
Maryland/USA
johnnyBgood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adjustable Downforce??

This would really not pertain to F1 due to the weight increases, but i think it would be very desireable in the touring class world.

A spoiler system that adjusts itself to the speed of the cars. Maximum downforce up to a certain speed, then he angle decreases allowing higher top speeds. Or to have the spoiler angle the maximum angle upon application of the brakes.

Anyone think this is a viable idea?

i have made a similar product for cars which is in the final production stage currently. I am hoping for completion within two weeks. But mine is adjustable from inside the car by use to 2 momentary switches.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 12:47 (Ref:742961)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is a viable idea. However in most forms of motorsport it is banned. No moveable aerodynamic devices. Certainly in F1 it is. However if it was allowed I don't think the weight penalty would be great compared to the advantage. The advanatage is bigger in F1 because of the great speed and reliance on aerodynamics.

When wings first came into F1 it didn't take long before they became adjustable while on the move. Some were operated by cables which were attached to knobs, or to an extra pedal, or the brake pedal.

More recently in the mid '90s the ITC and DTM championships allowed such devices and I think Opel won a few races (including Hockenhiem) with them.

You can also go back to the 'air brake' on the Mercedes Le Mans sportscars of the '50s.

Welcome to ten-tenths

Last edited by Adam43; 7 Oct 2003 at 12:49.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 16:34 (Ref:743171)   #3
CFD-9
Rookie

CFD-9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Similar idea to Porsche 911/Boxster, Ferrari Enzo and new Merc SLR - they all have spoilers that move at speed...

The F1 boys try and make the wings slightly flexible so that the downforce reduces at high speed on the straights - remember all those rear wings snapping (particularly JV at BAR) a couple of years back? That was due to them being 'too' flexible!

They brought in a rule to test the rear wing flexibility but, in the words of an F1 aerodynamicist "The downforce of a current F1 car is not proportional to speed nowadays"...

The Mclaren F1 road car had a fair few moving aero devices, they certainly aren't something new, but not very well explored on the modern car...
Old 7 Oct 2003, 23:59 (Ref:743523)   #4
johnnyBgood
Rookie

United States
Maryland/USA
johnnyBgood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the welcome. So now i have to petition F1 to allow my systems. easily done, hehe.

As far as the current employments that come on current high end models, these are designed for those with a limited budget. Cost would be in the range of $900- $1000 U.S. dollars and used for mostly show pieces for those with limited vision.
On my vehicle, a 2000 Mitsu Eclipse witha 4 cyl 4G64 engine, i am supercharged and plan to autocross, as soon as my vehicle is legal.

Also, I have designed a front spoiler, but have yet to put it to prac app.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 09:14 (Ref:746092)   #5
boyracer
Racer

boyracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a series in America that's like dirt track speedway, except it's on oval bitumen courses.
The cars have huge motors and rules are almost non-existent.
They have huge speedway style rearwings that are pivoted at the front and have air shocks at the rear. As they come on to the straight the wing flattens out and produces less drag, as they slow down for the corners the wing pops back up again. The rate at which they flatten and stand back up is adjustable by the spring rates and valving of the tiny airshocks.
Just in case anyone was curious
Old 10 Oct 2003, 16:08 (Ref:746454)   #6
MA2
Rookie

MA2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those same wing are cockpit adjustable on fore-aft positioning to change the center of pressure relative to the chassis!
Old 11 Oct 2003, 23:32 (Ref:747674)   #7
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best variable aerodynamic downforce device was the brabham fan car (before you whinge yes others did fan cars too like chaparell).