Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 8 Jun 2004, 15:14 (Ref:997389)   #1
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Le Mans Qualifying

This is probably an uneducated question, but I'm going to ask it anyways. How exactly does qualifying for the 24 Hours take place?

The teams get two, two-hour qualifying/practice sessions on both wednesday and thursday. Can qualifying take place during any session? Does the team declare they are going to take a lap, or laps during that session? I believe that they have to declare one driver, is that right? It doesn't seem like all of the laps would count towards qualifying, as they are also practice sessions. Please explain. Thanks.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 15:17 (Ref:997393)   #2
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
There's no free practice, or, said in another the way, both sessions are free but everything counts.

So you could do your best lap at 7pm on wendesday - well, 7pm plus 3'30'279 or so - or at the chequered flag on thursday, just before midnight...
Old 8 Jun 2004, 15:17 (Ref:997395)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought all 4 sessions were timed? I didn't know about declaring a driver either. I know teams do it, but do they have to?

But, to be honest, I've never checked. I assume its buried in the techinical stuff somewhere......
Old 8 Jun 2004, 15:20 (Ref:997398)   #4
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So any driver's time can count toward qualifying. But maybe only a specific driver get's to run with the qualifying tires? Thanks for the info guys.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 15:22 (Ref:997403)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can't find any relevant regs on the ACOs site. Normally a team will "nominate" a driver to go for a time. But I thought that was a team thing, not an ACO requirement. I always assumed that each and every lap in the sessions was timed (they are anyway - transponder-wise, I assume). Otherwise, you could be faced with a non-declared driver surprising everyone and pulling out a fastest time - couldn't be right that it was disallowed because he wasn't the nominated qualifier - surely?
Old 8 Jun 2004, 15:26 (Ref:997406)   #6
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
You're probably right Ayse. I just assumed they had to name one driver like they do in the ALMS. So the team probably just "silently" nominates one driver to take the runs with the special tires.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 15:28 (Ref:997409)   #7
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I thought all 4 sessions were timed?
They are ! So my post wasn't clear, sorry for that...
Old 8 Jun 2004, 15:30 (Ref:997411)   #8
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Yep, you have to mention the pilot once he step in the car (pit marshalls' job, I think).

If not, the lap is not recorded...
Old 8 Jun 2004, 15:30 (Ref:997412)   #9
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
teams don't have to declare drivers to set a time
any driver of the car can make it anytime during the sessions
and I think each driver has his own transponder (in addition to the car's one)
Old 8 Jun 2004, 15:31 (Ref:997413)   #10
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
They've alot to do, especially for teams that don't have three qualified pilots.

The other could focus on set-up for the race...
Old 8 Jun 2004, 15:33 (Ref:997417)   #11
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by bernard b
teams don't have to declare drivers to set a time
I thought that the marshall gave the information to the race direction... :confused: Each time is attributed to a pilot, not only to the car ? :confused: again... too late for me *yawn*
Old 8 Jun 2004, 15:37 (Ref:997421)   #12
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They really have their work cut out setup wise.
I mean, they need a good race setup, but one that doesn't make them suffer unneccessarily in quali but on top of all that, all the drivers have to be able to drive it fast!
No good making a good setup for one driver that doesn't suit the other two is it?
Old 8 Jun 2004, 15:40 (Ref:997425)   #13
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Yep, you have to mention the pilot once he step in the car (pit marshalls' job, I think).
you seem to be right here

see the pit's marshall notes (1999, Audi 7 )

Old 8 Jun 2004, 15:57 (Ref:997443)   #14
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Just ask, Bernard has... the pic !
Old 8 Jun 2004, 16:00 (Ref:997450)   #15
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
No good making a good setup for one driver that doesn't suit the other two is it?
That a topic of complains for some : Franck Lagorce said during Monaz race (he was speaker for MotorsTV) that Andy Wallace imposed his set-up to the other drivers... pretty unconfortable ! Some like it tight, some like it lose... some with more rear braking, some with more front braking... the size is a problem too...
Old 8 Jun 2004, 16:07 (Ref:997460)   #16
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Just ask, Bernard has... the pic !
to be honest, it's not one of mine. it's from my site, but the photographer is another TT's member, Pounetbf
Old 9 Jun 2004, 05:49 (Ref:998047)   #17
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Congrats to both, so !

According to Infocourse, the best lap times (and the grid) should be set today ; some showers are expected tomorrow eve...