Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 May 2004, 11:40 (Ref:981128)   #1
zootv
Rookie

zootv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does F1 need Schuey?

hi

What a race we saw when Schuey abandoned! There are so many young guys in F1 who deserve to win and who are really racing against each other. So, I think it would be a positive point for the sport if Schuey retired now. Yesterday's race proved that there's a new generation who is ready to attack attack attack. The Trulli-Button duel was one of the best I've seen in recent years. Let those guys race for victory. Sadly, Schuey is so good and has such a good car that, in normal circumstances, the young guys can't prove themselves. The fans and those drivers deserve to be able to fight for victory.

Peter
Old 24 May 2004, 11:43 (Ref:981137)   #2
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No, F1 doesn't need Schuey, but that's no reason for him to retire now. The new generation is in the wings, but they have to take it to Michael to earn the right to replace him.
Old 24 May 2004, 11:45 (Ref:981143)   #3
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm... Lemme see, the young guys can't prove themselves because Schumacher is good, but this will change if he retired? Strange. What will they prove? That Alonso can beat Trulli and both of them beat Ralf for example? They can surely prove that now, isn't it?

PS: The wins are earned, not deserved.
Old 24 May 2004, 11:50 (Ref:981147)   #4
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does F1 need Schey?

Well, does Schuey need F1?

No, he's achieved more than enough. Let soemene else have a go. Thankfully Monaco the grand old circuit that it is gave us that.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 24 May 2004, 12:11 (Ref:981180)   #5
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
so you want guys to win . just because Schumacher is not there .. wouldn't be better if they beat Schumacher ??

Ciao Marco
Old 24 May 2004, 12:15 (Ref:981193)   #6
Mattracer
Veteran

See how interesting a GP is when MS iis not int? Although to be fair, had this been on a "normal" circuit, you know, a dull one, this might not have happened.

Old 24 May 2004, 12:16 (Ref:981196)   #7
Mattracer
Veteran

See how interesting a GP is when MS is not in it? Although to be fair, had this been on a "normal" circuit, you know, a dull one, this might not have happened.

Old 24 May 2004, 12:20 (Ref:981200)   #8
Mattracer
Veteran

Hmm, I see cloning hasn't perfected independence of thought yet.

Old 24 May 2004, 12:22 (Ref:981204)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No, it doesn't need Schumacher, but that is no reason to remove the best driver in it.

F1 doesn't need any other drivers individually.
Old 24 May 2004, 12:23 (Ref:981207)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would say, does F1 need a package like Ferrari/TGF ????
Pretty much like Williams/Senna would be back in '94, but something was done.
Old 24 May 2004, 12:51 (Ref:981270)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Does F1 need Schuey - no, definitely not.

Straight answer to a straight question.
Old 24 May 2004, 13:34 (Ref:981314)   #12
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit of a stupid question really, no sport needs any personality, but because they are there, and succeeding, is no reason to question their worth to the sport.

F1 does not need Schumacher, but F1 doesn't need anything in particular either. You may as well ask if golf needs Tiger Woods, or if Soccer needs Brazil. (sorry, i don't know anything about soccer)
Old 24 May 2004, 13:40 (Ref:981322)   #13
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Well, F1 did not need Schumacher. However, now, F1 does need a couple more of him.
Old 24 May 2004, 13:51 (Ref:981334)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 is the pinnacle, and Schumacher is the best. F1 doesn't need any driver in particular really, but the best should be there. What F1 doesn't need are the Baumgartners; unfortunately the economics of the series have to allow for these type of drivers.
And Schumacher was beaten yesterday, crash or no crash.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 24 May 2004, 13:52 (Ref:981335)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
However, now, F1 does need a couple more of him.
A good way of putting it!

Last edited by Adam43; 24 May 2004 at 13:53.
Old 24 May 2004, 14:29 (Ref:981382)   #16
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well put Red.

It's kinda silly. Does F1 need Schumacher? No...just as much as they don't need any other personalities, Senna inc. F1 existed before these guys come along and would continue to exist when these guys retire.

What F1 needs desperately however is drivers of that quality.. Frankly, there are more than a handful of drivers who are nothing more than has beens or simply not good enough to be a serious challenger. F1's history and future existence does NEED a constant presence of quality driver..from Fangio to Senna to MS. And not forgetting personalities who don't race but is still highly important.

I believe drivers take greater pleasure of beating MS than to win when MS retires...and Trulli drove a brilliant race.

Furthermore, why should we "gift" others wins by removing the best driver on the grid?!
Old 24 May 2004, 14:37 (Ref:981389)   #17
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Anyway, does or does not F1 need Schumacher is one thing, but to say that "utter domination of the 2004 season and his complete lack of interest in what his success was doing to the sport" is utter bull. (yes, that's my newly found journalist friend from grandprix.com. Only that he doesn't bother to sign his art). His success is doing only good to the sport. The other dudes sustained rate of failures is what does damage this sport.
Old 24 May 2004, 14:37 (Ref:981390)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R

Furthermore, why should we "gift" others wins by removing the best driver on the grid?!
I have to agree with you, currently, beating Michael, who is the top of his game and in the best car is the yardstick for the other drivers, and i'm sure they take more satisfaction beating Michael than they would winning a race without Michael in it, much the same, i'm sure for Michael, when Senna was about.

There are a few drivers who could take the fight to Michael, but that would need them to sit in the second Ferrari, never going to happen.

F1 has lost it's appeal since the dominance of Ferrari in 2000, thats not Michaels fault, it's up to the other teams to get onto a par with Ferrari.

But it has to be said, given the advantage that Michael and Ferrari enjoy, from a fans point of view, a race without Michael has tended to be more exciting than a race with him in.
Old 24 May 2004, 14:51 (Ref:981401)   #19
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Only because of the result, Mr V. I didn't see anymore "fun" during the remaining of the race than we usually see. Sure, Button closing in to Trulli was exciting to watch, but according to every "standard" it was just another boring race without any overtkings.
Old 24 May 2004, 14:55 (Ref:981405)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
No different from an Monaco GP then Red

As a F1 fan though, surely a season such as 1998, were you didn't know who would win out of Michael or Mika is more exciting that watching Michael drive off into the distance because his car is so superior and his team-mate seems to always be on the wrong stratergy?
Old 24 May 2004, 14:58 (Ref:981408)   #21
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Ahh, 1998-2000, yeah, those were great seasons.. Though not always "happy" for me!

However, we're talking about a specific race, half of it to be more specific!
Old 24 May 2004, 15:04 (Ref:981414)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
But the thread was about Michael in F1 in general, not just half a race
Old 24 May 2004, 15:20 (Ref:981429)   #23
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
from a fans point of view, a race without Michael has tended to be more exciting than a race with him in.
Old 24 May 2004, 15:28 (Ref:981438)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
Again, i was talking about Michael in general, not just Monaco. Brazil 2003, Hockenhiem 2001 etc etc.
Old 24 May 2004, 15:33 (Ref:981442)   #25
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Oh well, my fault then... Last race without Schumacher was so long ago, I just forgot..

(still, I stand to my point. Those races were no any different. Except that Schumacher abandonned)