Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 25 Jul 2004, 14:53 (Ref:1046709)   #1
SKT
Rookie

SKT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who should have the other Williams seat next year?

If I had my say at Williams, I'd pair Webber with JV however, it seems that either Pollack and/or JV are playing hardball - I love JV but if that's what they're doing, then I don't think that's a smart thing to do.

Apart from JV, I don't really think there are any other good available drivers out there to drive alongside Webber.

Williams need 2 strong drivers - let the comments fly gentlemen!
Old 25 Jul 2004, 14:57 (Ref:1046714)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Webber and Davidson.

Fast, relatively ego free.

They'd drive the team forward.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 15:06 (Ref:1046724)   #3
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso, although it isn't going to happen!
Old 25 Jul 2004, 15:14 (Ref:1046732)   #4
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nico Rosberg, Trulli, Ant Davidson, Da Matta, all infinitely more capable than JV and don't come lumped with ego's above their station or huge wage damands. The Brit in me hopes it'll be Ant but it looks like BMW want Nico.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 15:21 (Ref:1046739)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
An inexperienced driver like Rosberg would be a mistake, IMO.

Maybe if Williams finish 5th this year, they can hire Nico as their Friday tester!
Old 25 Jul 2004, 15:21 (Ref:1046741)   #6
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed KB.

Should be Heidfield or Fisi.

Last edited by dcp2685; 25 Jul 2004 at 15:24.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 15:24 (Ref:1046744)   #7
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
He's more experianced then Kimi was.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 15:32 (Ref:1046749)   #8
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Anthony Davidson - Alex Wurz would be a good move, so would Olivier Panis - Williams don't seem to like DC unfortunately...but a bit of experience and testing nous would go perfect with Webber's raw speed.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 15:33 (Ref:1046750)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Davidson could be good, but someone like Fisichella is more proven. Both would certainly be hungry and could make life hard for Webber.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 15:34 (Ref:1046751)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Damon

True, but Nico's never really demonstrated the same star quality.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 15:38 (Ref:1046756)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Webber and Heidfeld, although Fisichella would be a good choice, but it appears he's now off to Renault.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 15:42 (Ref:1046760)   #12
DannyG
Racer

Australia
Tasmania, Australia :)
DannyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber and Davidson.

Webber and JV have one thing in common...............a record amount of posts at 10 tenths speculating about there future

"There is no substitute for cubic inches"
Old 25 Jul 2004, 15:44 (Ref:1046766)   #13
SKT
Rookie

I agree that something is up with JV however, I don't believe that Nico Rosberg, Trulli, Davidson and DaMatta are all infinitely more capable than JV - JV is an exceptional driver. Unfortunately for JV, he may be asking too much but that certainly doesn't affect his driving ability as it does his ability to have a chance to drive.

Ego's are very important in F1 especially for drivers - and JV's may be displaced above his station relative to other current drivers in F1 however, it's going to be this same ego that will enable him to go wheel to wheel in the arena of F1.

JV does come with more credentials than most drivers, certainly more than the ones mentioned - it doesn't mean that those drivers may not one day surpass JV in the history books however, as we all know F1 is a tough and unforgiving environment - and the likelihood of any of the drivers you've mentioned as infinitely more capable will win a Formula One World Championship is slim to none.

To an outsider, your description of JV more accurately describes the current state of F1 - but we all watch it in spite of it or perhaps even because of it.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 15:45 (Ref:1046769)   #14
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Mark and Nick
Old 25 Jul 2004, 15:47 (Ref:1046773)   #15
SKT
Rookie

Quote:
I agree that something is up with JV however, I don't believe that Nico Rosberg, Trulli, Davidson and DaMatta are all infinitely more capable than JV - JV is an exceptional driver. Unfortunately for JV, he may be asking too much but that certainly doesn't affect his driving ability as it does his ability to have a chance to drive.

Ego's are very important in F1 especially for drivers - and JV's may be displaced above his station relative to other current drivers in F1 however, it's going to be this same ego that will enable him to go wheel to wheel in the arena of F1.

JV does come with more credentials than most drivers, certainly more than the ones mentioned - it doesn't mean that those drivers may not one day surpass JV in the history books however, as we all know F1 is a tough and unforgiving environment - and the likelihood of any of the drivers you've mentioned as infinitely more capable will win a Formula One World Championship is slim to none.

To an outsider, your description of JV more accurately describes the current state of F1 - but we all watch it in spite of it or perhaps even because of it.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 15:48 (Ref:1046774)   #16
SKT
Rookie

Quote:
Nico Rosberg, Trulli, Ant Davidson, Da Matta, all infinitely more capable than JV and don't come lumped with ego's above their station or huge wage damands. The Brit in me hopes it'll be Ant but it looks like BMW want Nico.

Old 25 Jul 2004, 15:50 (Ref:1046780)   #17
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I feel that JV WAS as exceptional driver about 5 years ago. He was soundly beaten by Button and was lacklustre at best in his last couple of seasons at BAR. If he were to return now I fear he'd look even more out of his depth.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 15:57 (Ref:1046787)   #18
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
It wouldn't be a wise move for him - F1 has finished with Jacques Villeneuve and the like - I think they ought to leave it to the next generation.

Will we see another shoot-out Button vs. Junqueira-stylee?
Old 25 Jul 2004, 16:12 (Ref:1046806)   #19
Poddy
Rookie

Poddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to see Nick in there, but I dunno how happy the BMW board would be with replacing Ralf with one of Merc's cast offs.

Maybe Williams should just bite the bullet and buy Button back off BAR. It wouldn't be cheap, but I think a Webber/Button partnership could form the foundation for a serious title challenge over the next few years.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 17:03 (Ref:1046840)   #20
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd still go with DC..He will bring bankable points which will help in the Constructors fight. Webber is brilliant but does seem to have weekends when he just isn't "on it". Williams need to have a solid second driver who will do the business. Ok, DC may not be WDC material, but come on, who else out of the other 19 are genuinely ever going to be WDC? Only maybe Alonso and Kimi in my opinion. Davidson, Heidfeld, even Fisi are unproven at the sharp end of the grid..even Webber is for that matter. JV and Mika are over..they will never be back. DC is the only one with current experience and a track record of getting the job done.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 17:09 (Ref:1046845)   #21
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heidfeld.

Old 25 Jul 2004, 18:03 (Ref:1046872)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Poddy

Maybe Williams should just bite the bullet and buy Button back off BAR.
2 things.

Imo, no amount of money would persuade David Richards to allow Jenson to leave.

Why would Jenson want to go to Willimas? He has a better car where he is at BAR.

Last edited by Mr V; 25 Jul 2004 at 18:03.
Old 25 Jul 2004, 19:11 (Ref:1046933)   #23
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with you Joe Rossi.

DC is the man for Williams. He's a great team player, and great for set-up and development, and he will bring a steadiness and calm over a team that could desperately use some. He's a real pro.

I still think he's got some gas left in his tank, and his race pace is still good, but he needs to come to grips with his qualifying, where he is terribly weak.

Danica Patrick
Old 25 Jul 2004, 20:16 (Ref:1046974)   #24
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
He was alright this weekend!
Old 25 Jul 2004, 20:54 (Ref:1047001)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer

DC is the man for Williams. He's a great team player, and great for set-up and development, and he will bring a steadiness and calm over a team that could desperately use some. He's a real pro.

Trouble for DC is, Patrick Head doesn't want him. (according to reports i have read)