Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 30 Jul 2003, 10:17 (Ref:675109)   #1
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Plans For Silverstone Circuit

This was sent to me & I thought I should share it!!

"PEDESTRIAN CROSSING" PLANNED FOR SILVERSTONE

The owners of the Silverstone circuit have announced that the track is to be provided with a pelican crossing in response to "mounting concerns" over road safety.

Bloody Hell: Slow Down!

The decision comes after an incident last weekend when a pedestrian was nearly knocked down while attempting to cross the road. The man, who gave his name as Derek Gadd, told the Brains Trust that "there I was, having a nice leisurely walk after lunch, when suddenly these lunatics appeared from nowhere in their flashy cars and almost ran me over. Though I hate to cast aspersions, I suspect they were all doing well over thirty miles per hour." He continued, now rubbing his forehead perplexedly that, "we've had cameras here for years but these people don't seem to care about getting caught. Something has got to be done soon before someone gets seriously hurt."

"70,000 or so passers-by"
Police have appealed for further information about the incident, which occurred on Hangar Straight Avenue on Sunday afternoon. They have still not tracked down the vehicles involved but are currently interviewing around 70,000 or so passers-by. Over the past few years, the authorities have considered a number of ways to slow down motorists in the area, including speed bumps, cobbles and even a roundabout. During one survey last year it was noted that all of the cars at rush hour were carrying only one occupant, prompting calls for the introduction of congestion charging. The proposal for the new crossing has been welcomed by Dr Hugo Z Hackenbush, a prominent road safety campaigner, "I've been studying the traffic here for some time and I'm particularly concerned about the speeds I've been seeing. The worst culprits seem to be these foreign drivers: some of them treat it like they're at bloody Brands Hatch or something."

"doesn't go anywhere"
However, critics of the plan say that the new measures do not go far enough. Bernie Ecclestone commented, "This talk of pelican lights is too little too late. Silverstone just doesn't go anywhere and I think it is high time the place was totally pedestrianised." Mr Ecclestone has also started a petition for a by-pass, and is quietly confident that all traffic will eventually be re-routed to another area, such as Istanbul or hopefully Moscow.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 10:39 (Ref:675120)   #2
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Old 30 Jul 2003, 11:19 (Ref:675147)   #3
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hehe thats funny!
Old 30 Jul 2003, 13:14 (Ref:675286)   #4
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i say get mr livingstone and transport for london in there and put some congestion charging in.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 13:16 (Ref:675292)   #5
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Would the Pelican Crossing have a flashing Orange Man?
Old 30 Jul 2003, 20:32 (Ref:675692)   #6
Stone-kicker
Racer

England
Stone-kicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
"PEDESTRIAN CROSSING" PLANNED FOR SILVERSTONE
Er, isn't there a bridge over the track at that point?
Old 30 Jul 2003, 21:31 (Ref:675758)   #7
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by observer
Would the Pelican Crossing have a flashing Orange Man?
No, but it would have a flashing Green man if it was considered unsafe to cross. As the Green Man (I hope) was NOT Flashing, the pedestrian naturally thought is was safe to cross.

But, had the aforementioned Green Man been flashing, there is no way at all that anyone would have considered crossing the track.

The only exception to this rule is that the wearers of kilts, short skirts or even maids outfits are allowed full and un-interupted access at all times.

So why did the previously restrained Green Man suddenly take it upon himself to launch himself into a totally unprovoked attack upon an inocent pedestrian???

Was he jealous of the kilt??
Had he just started flashing???

or did he just think it was EP in her maids outfit ????
Old 31 Jul 2003, 09:45 (Ref:676106)   #8
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very good
Old 31 Jul 2003, 16:53 (Ref:676461)   #9
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got a cracking plan for Silverstone.............
How about making it into an airfield...........

(Quickly runs for cover).............................
Old 31 Jul 2003, 17:09 (Ref:676473)   #10
Delta Caller
Rookie

Delta Caller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get them to install speed ramps that will slow them down