Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Sep 2010, 19:37 (Ref:2758910)   #1
simontibbett
Rookie

United States
GA
simontibbett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drivers Moving Into LMS/ALMS/etc. The Ladder

What in your opinion is the best route to go to get a seat in a sports car racing series such as ALMS. Not speaking of Grand-Am.

IMSA Prototype Lites? Touring cars? Formula cars?
Old 13 Sep 2010, 20:06 (Ref:2758925)   #2
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
... the Lottery .. ??? .. only half joking

Ciao Marco
Old 13 Sep 2010, 20:10 (Ref:2758928)   #3
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
go if you cant get/stay in F1 - thats reality
Old 13 Sep 2010, 20:25 (Ref:2758935)   #4
simontibbett
Rookie

United States
GA
Not every ALMS driver has F1 backing. It's a fairly legit question, sure it costs money, ALL racing does, but to have the chance for some prototype teams they look highly at some series than others. Is the likely hood of racing for a small prototype team good if your experience is say in World Challenge versus a sports racer series? I'm not even talking about free rides, still paying rides but SOME teams still don't accept just anyone.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 20:38 (Ref:2758941)   #5
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A driver who has come through the system could answer better, but, an IMSA lites ride, Patron GT3, WC, etc.. with associating one self with teams that are running in GTC or LMPC would seem the best way. Intersport, GETG, AJR, TRG etc.. from the ALMS side. There is an ACO school for prototypes as well as various and sundry GT series and VdeV in Europe that would fit the bill. Then of course getting known by the teams in the LMS to further the possibilities of moving into a P-2 or GTE-AM in the Future.

And welcome to the forum 'simontibbett'.

L.P.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 21:07 (Ref:2758955)   #6
simontibbett
Rookie

United States
GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
A driver who has come through the system could answer better, but, an IMSA lites ride, Patron GT3, WC, etc.. with associating one self with teams that are running in GTC or LMPC would seem the best way. Intersport, GETG, AJR, TRG etc.. from the ALMS side. There is an ACO school for prototypes as well as various and sundry GT series and VdeV in Europe that would fit the bill. Then of course getting known by the teams in the LMS to further the possibilities of moving into a P-2 or GTE-AM in the Future.

And welcome to the forum 'simontibbett'.

L.P.
Thanks for the reply! That's some good information. I'll have to look up the ACO school you speak of.

Thanks for the welcome as well, I'm a long time browser but have decided to start posting some!
Old 13 Sep 2010, 21:14 (Ref:2758960)   #7
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simontibbett View Post
Thanks for the reply! That's some good information. I'll have to look up the ACO school you speak of.

Thanks for the welcome as well, I'm a long time browser but have decided to start posting some!
Here: http://www.lemansdriver.fr/protos-pe...o-le-mans.html

L.P.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 21:18 (Ref:2758963)   #8
simontibbett
Rookie

United States
GA
Yeah I just found that, thanks!

I don't know French though. lol
Old 13 Sep 2010, 21:32 (Ref:2758975)   #9
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:

Run it through Bing or Google (translater)

L.P.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 22:17 (Ref:2759005)   #10
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Who does !!!
Old 13 Sep 2010, 22:50 (Ref:2759021)   #11
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Who does !!!
Je parle un petit peu... Tres, tres mal.

The remnants of 7 years of French language instruction in Canada.

I wish I had taken to it.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 22:52 (Ref:2759022)   #12
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Prototype or IMSA Lites cars can also be run in the SCCA club racing scene (don't know where you are located) and it's a good way to work on your racecraft if your new to racing.

But winning the lottery is also good.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 00:02 (Ref:2759048)   #13
simontibbett
Rookie

United States
GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Prototype or IMSA Lites cars can also be run in the SCCA club racing scene (don't know where you are located) and it's a good way to work on your racecraft if your new to racing.

But winning the lottery is also good.
I'm located in the US, right down the road from Road Atlanta actually. I currently have an SCCA road race car but it's just an IT touring car not a sports racer.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 08:16 (Ref:2759124)   #14
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I think Mazda MX-5-Cup is a good place to start in the US (or rather spec MX-5 racing in general).
Old 14 Sep 2010, 11:15 (Ref:2759200)   #15
simontibbett
Rookie

United States
GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I think Mazda MX-5-Cup is a good place to start in the US (or rather spec MX-5 racing in general).
I use to run a Miata and have been SERIOUSLY considering MX-5 Cup for next season over and over again for quite a few reasons:

-TV coverage.
-Real money involved.
-Good title sponsorship.
-Mazda ladder system.
-Spec series.

However speaking with a couple of drivers in it there are the downsides, as with any series though. My goal is to get into higher up sports car racing, I just don't know if this series would lead me to touring cars and if down the road any ALMS teams would care about that. Possibly GT though.

One thing IMSA Lites doesn't have like MX-5 Cup is good media coverage and it seems like the series is slowly dying in a way. However because IMSA Lites runs with ALMS on race weekends it just seems like a better way to get your name out.

Oh and then there is the money thing. MX-5 Cup is a lot less to run than IMSA Lites that's for sure.