Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 Aug 2010, 13:05 (Ref:2744513)   #1
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
2010 Menzo Sports 24 hours of Zolder 21/22-8

Probably the most obscure of all 24 hour races,the Zolder 24 is only one week away from us.
Experienced as a very warm tucked away event by us(a group of english and dutch),it's obscureness reëstablishes itself by having a very hard to find entrylist...

Can anyone help us out here?
Old 14 Aug 2010, 13:11 (Ref:2744514)   #2
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Nope, no entrylist out yet from what I know, and lots of speculations about appallingly low grid figures. I had high hopes for this year, but somehow...
Makes not going this year almost bearable.

I just wish it was a little less obscure. Getting it back to where it was 5 years ago would be really nice. That said, I had a blast there last year - have fun!!
Old 14 Aug 2010, 23:27 (Ref:2744652)   #3
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Nope, no entrylist out yet from what I know, and lots of speculations about appallingly low grid figures. I had high hopes for this year, but somehow...
Makes not going this year almost bearable.

I just wish it was a little less obscure. Getting it back to where it was 5 years ago would be really nice. That said, I had a blast there last year - have fun!!
I second that. It allmost seems as like they're afraid to publish their entrylist...
Anyhows,we will have a good time there,good friends,nice food and drink and racingcars in the night.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 09:55 (Ref:2744722)   #4
topcats racing paul.
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxford England
topcats racing paul. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello all

Hi all,

We will be there again with our Mosler.
Come and say hello
there is a Face book page set up
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=146798572000345

Paul.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 11:58 (Ref:2744761)   #5
Kessen
Rookie

Belgium
Kessen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the first time since 2002 the 24 Hours of Zolder will not be featuring live-coverage either. The promotors set up their own website - www.24hoursofzolder.com - so no www.24u.be this year.

3 days before the start of the event, some 15 cars are confirmed. The past week there has been no communication whatsoever about the number of entries, new entries, etc. Also hardly any team press releases in my mailbox. I expect some 25 cars to take the start. But it's no better than in 2007-2008-2009 - when SRO Belgium was blamed for the low number of entries...

Maybe the gigs in the paddoc are more important than the race itself.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 12:48 (Ref:2744769)   #6
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcats racing paul. View Post
Hi all,

We will be there again with our Mosler.
Come and say hello
there is a Face book page set up
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=146798572000345

Paul.

Nice one Paul. What went wrong last year?
Old 15 Aug 2010, 12:56 (Ref:2744772)   #7
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessen View Post
3 days before the start of the event, some 15 cars are confirmed. The past week there has been no communication whatsoever about the number of entries, new entries, etc. Also hardly any team press releases in my mailbox. I expect some 25 cars to take the start. But it's no better than in 2007-2008-2009 - when SRO Belgium was blamed for the low number of entries...

Thanks for these links mate .

About the organisers attention for the race and the cars as opposed to the whole off track mumbo jumbo,I believe you're right.
What frustrated me most in the last few years,is the full lenght closure of one the tracks finest viewing area's around the backstraight chicane('Kleine chicane'). This area is being claimed by sponsors and their tents,blocking out the view for all other spectators.
Not only is this very antisocial,most of these tents only contain snobs who's interest in the race and the cars is next to non existend!
During night hours,one can see some folk spectating,but then these tents are mostly empty...
Old 15 Aug 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2744829)   #8
Kessen
Rookie

Belgium
Last update on the official website was 13/08 - with 6 teams announcing that they are still looking for drivers - but if my cellphone is correct, there are more teams still on the look out. The last official flash news is dated 08/08 on the Dutch website. The English website is basically empty.

Communication about the entries is scarce, whilst local newspapers are nicely filled with information about the DJ line-ups.

I somewhat agree on the vip-stuff, but if they're not there to raise the cash, we'd see 5 cars in stead of +/- 25 .

Goodluck with the race Paul, we very much enjoyed the presence of the Topcats Mosler last year. The opening stints were very strong! If I recall correctly the car had some engine woes?

Last edited by Kessen; 15 Aug 2010 at 17:03.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 17:03 (Ref:2744834)   #9
Kessen
Rookie

Belgium
And to help you out - here's a summary of the entries that are known to me.

First Motorsport - Porsche 911 GT3 Cup S
First Motorsport - Porsche 996 GT3 Cup
Topcats Racing - Mosler MT900
Moore Racing International - BMW M3
Russell Racing / Scuderia Monza - Porsche 996 GT3 RS(R? - with 997 look)
Viage KRK Racing - Dodge Viper Competition Coupé
NGT Racing - Porsche 911 GT3 R
NGT Racing - Porsche 996 GT3 Cup
ProSpeed Competition - Porsche 911 GT3 R (x2?)
Racing Forze - Lotus Elise GT4
Speedlover - Porsche 997 GT3 Cup
Speedlover - Porsche 997 GT4
Recy Racing Team - BMW
MI - BMW
EMG Motorsport - BMW
KS Motorsport - BMW M3 Silhouette (x2?)
Chad Racing - KIA Pro_C'eed Silhouette
Delahaye Racing - Renault Megane Silhouette and/or Ferrari F430 GT3
Level Racing - Porsche 997 GT3 Cup (x2?)
AD Sport - Porsche (??)
Gabriel Racing - Renault Clio III
?? - Seat (Leon?)

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Kessen; 15 Aug 2010 at 17:13.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 17:53 (Ref:2744850)   #10
topcats racing paul.
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxford England
topcats racing paul. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
Nice one Paul. What went wrong last year?

Hi,
We had an internal oil pump fail inside the gearbox.

we are going for the win this year!

Paul.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 20:10 (Ref:2744907)   #11
Zandbak
Racer

Netherlands
Zandbak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The promotors set up their own website - www.24hoursofzolder.com
If this new website is an indicator for the race than this race is in deep trouble for this year and the years to come.

Try to find that website in Google

About this race, it is a non-championship race. How can you attract (foreign) competitors? Big prize money?
Old 15 Aug 2010, 20:47 (Ref:2744928)   #12
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at the latest press release we can scratch the EMG BMW and one of the First Motorsport Porsches and replace those with a "Limburgs Racing Team" Porsche.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 22:22 (Ref:2744961)   #13
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Whats the go with that? Can anyone explain why, over the last few years that I've heard more about the off track happenings then the race itself? The two can co-exist but one would be thinking that the race is somehow more important.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 08:33 (Ref:2745078)   #14
Kessen
Rookie

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Looking at the latest press release we can scratch the EMG BMW and one of the First Motorsport Porsches and replace those with a "Limburgs Racing Team" Porsche.
Was Derdaele aiming to drive the First Motorsport Porsche 996 GT3 Cup? I thought he wanted to give it a go with his own 997 GT3 Cup. The Limburgs Racing Team is entering the race with a Porsche 997 GT3 Supercup 2009 spec. The spec of the AD Sport Porsche is now also known - apparently a GT2 chassis with a Cup S engine + paddle shift - serviced by Argo Racing (also in FIA GT3 with a Lamborghini Gallardo).
Old 16 Aug 2010, 12:47 (Ref:2745195)   #15
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
FIA S2000 cars are allowed at Zolder 24 ?
Old 16 Aug 2010, 12:50 (Ref:2745197)   #16
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Everything is allowed. I think this year they'd let you run if you entered a doubledecker bus...
Old 16 Aug 2010, 20:15 (Ref:2745438)   #17
Kessen
Rookie

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandbak View Post
If this new website is an indicator for the race than this race is in deep trouble for this year and the years to come.

Try to find that website in Google
It's a brand new website, so it still needs a lot of cross references to climb in the Google ladder, I presume. The other sites on the first page, 24u.be, autosport.be, racingworld.be, btcseries.be, belcar.com, have been around for a couple of years and are all fairly popular amongst the limited crowd of motorsport aficionados.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandbak View Post
About this race, it is a non-championship race. How can you attract (foreign) competitors? Big prize money?
It's the most expensive meeting of the Belgian season, apart from the Spa 24 Hours, and it's a non-championship race. What is the added value as a (national) competitor? What is the emotional benefit for you and your sponsors? When I analyse the key success factors of this race in the recent past, let's say in between 2003-2006, I see:
- a healthy Belcar / double points;
- acceptable costs for the cars in between p10 and p40 ("home made" cars, Porsche 996 Cup, ...);
- the home made cars were easier to identify with for the spectators (e.g. a bunch of Beemer E36 - "I drive that too" syndrome);
- the lack of a pyramid for your competitors, drivers, etc. to emerge;
- less interference by national sporting authority (?) (better homologation);

An exact answer on your question regarding the absence of the international teams; nobody can formulate. My hypothesis? Again: "what's in it for me"? If they have drivers that pay the bill, for sure they'll come over and have fun. But a foreign professional outfit can only lose face in Zolder; since it's a hard race (mechanically).

If you could choose: Zolder or Dubai, with equal costs/revenues, what would be your pick? I think that motorsports in 2010 has evolved into being a more compact world (fewer teams, cars, drivers) than in 2003-2006, with more opportunities to race your machinery (new championships, races).

Zolder lost momentum, whereas other venues quickly became popular (e.g. Dubai). Even if Zolder would be status quo now, compared to 2006, they still had to give in to other events that grew quite quickly - so relatively speaking, they fell back (quite hard).
Old 17 Aug 2010, 15:19 (Ref:2745995)   #18
tatounet
Racer

Belgium
tatounet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.24hoursofzolder.com/docum...63c693c0cd3c09

Dramatic !
Old 17 Aug 2010, 15:22 (Ref:2745997)   #19
Speed-King
Veteran

I really hope this isn't the last 24 hours of Zolder...
Old 17 Aug 2010, 15:33 (Ref:2746005)   #20
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ouch. Hopefully the Britcar 24 fares better!
Old 17 Aug 2010, 15:38 (Ref:2746010)   #21
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler View Post
Ouch. Hopefully the Britcar 24 fares better!
They will. IIRC they already had 50+ enries a few months ago...
Old 17 Aug 2010, 22:38 (Ref:2746290)   #22
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatounet View Post
Ouch indeed.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 22:48 (Ref:2746295)   #23
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like a fight between the lead First car and the Topcats Mosler on pace, since each has two quite rapid drivers. Not much depth though!
Old 18 Aug 2010, 17:38 (Ref:2746667)   #24
Kessen
Rookie

Belgium
NGT Racing is basically ProSpeed Competition's support team during the FIA GT3 European Championship - so I think they have a fair chance at winning this event.

Oh, by the way, ... 20 cars on the grid.

That implies that the cars wont make too much noise, and spectators can enjoy the parties !
Old 19 Aug 2010, 19:52 (Ref:2747299)   #25
tatounet
Racer

Belgium
tatounet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcats racing paul. View Post
Hi,
We had an internal oil pump fail inside the gearbox.

we are going for the win this year!

Paul.
Congratulations for the pole position !