Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 7 Nov 2000, 13:17 (Ref:47163)   #1
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to get a general idea...

Who's racing next year, in what car and in what championship??

Just so I know what series to avoid next year....

I'm not racing, but sending off for 'sprint' licence next month.. Midget is getting some work done to it as we speak..
Old 7 Nov 2000, 14:01 (Ref:47169)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Woo Hoooo.

I've currently got my budget for next year. All I need now is a second hand go ped and a championship to race it in!!!
Old 7 Nov 2000, 17:39 (Ref:47207)   #3
BMWRacerITS
Rookie

BMWRacerITS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be racing in the Sportscar Club of America (SCCA) Improved Touring S class next year.

I built the suspension/cage/safety equipment into my E36 chassis BMW 325 over this past fall and tested it out in some BMW Club Racing. At the last race, the head gasket blew on my bone stock engine (with over 100,000 miles), so I am currently building the engine up to spec for the series I plan to race in.

I'll race in the South Atlantic Road Race Championship (SARRC), and hopefully attend the national championship for my series, the American Road Racing Championship (ARRC).

Wish me luck as this will be my first full season of racing. If I can run this season successfully, I'd love to look into a sponsorship and some professional racing next year in the Speedvision World Challenge series (America's version of Touring Cars). http://www.speedvisionwc.com/

I wish you all a good season of racing.
Old 7 Nov 2000, 21:23 (Ref:47251)   #4
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I shall continue with my Datsun 1600 (Nissan 510) in Historic Touring Car racing. In 2001 I plan to do every round of the State Championship, every historic meeting held in Queensland and two Historic Touring Car events in NSW.
Old 8 Nov 2000, 00:16 (Ref:47275)   #5
Chris Y
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
With a bit of luck and a bit of cash, I shall be racing in the Old Spice Legends championship in the UK...
Alright, alright - shut up!! I've heard enough already

All I need to do is get my racing licence (the ARDS test is this weekend ) and possibly get some sponsorship..

Failing the sponsorship, I may elect to do Mighty Minis. I'll let you all know soon enough
Old 8 Nov 2000, 01:09 (Ref:47285)   #6
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey You! Potential Sponsor!! Don't give this man your money!! You know you'd rather see him do a season in Minis first!

Sorry Chris, It had to be said!

And good luck on that licence...
Old 8 Nov 2000, 07:28 (Ref:47318)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good luck Chris.
Old 8 Nov 2000, 20:35 (Ref:47405)   #8
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
SNH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter
aren't you racing the Capri in the CSCC next year?
Old 9 Nov 2000, 10:32 (Ref:47529)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'll register but I won't be doing much without finance, especially now that the Rovers are becoming so much more competitive.
Old 9 Nov 2000, 17:56 (Ref:47623)   #10
Chris Y
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Maybe more competitive, but certainly a little unreliable. There were a fair few Rovers at Snetterton, but they all appeared to be smoking away, and a few didn't make the finish. You could beat them on reliability no problem...
Old 9 Nov 2000, 18:36 (Ref:47636)   #11
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
Peter
you thinking about another series then?

Old 10 Nov 2000, 09:08 (Ref:47766)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
No. Are you?
Old 11 Nov 2000, 19:39 (Ref:47980)   #13
Chris Y
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here

Well, I came, I drove, I passed

Thanks for the good luck wishes all - they worked a treat..

My licence is 'in the post', and I have my overalls, etc.

If I'm feeling energetic later, I may post a report, and submit it to Parc Ferme.

Cool - thanks again!
Old 13 Nov 2000, 17:42 (Ref:48195)   #14
apguy
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Suffolk
apguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I'll be back in the trusty Sunbeam to do battle in Grp1 for the early part of the 2001 season. Hopefully from May onwards I'll be campaigning a Peugeot 405Mi16 in the new pre90 series also being run by the CSCC. Myself and Rick (Grp1 - yellow XR3) have both bought roadgoing Mi16's and are currently turning them into piles of nuts and bolts in my lock-up.
Old 13 Nov 2000, 19:40 (Ref:48209)   #15
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting series..

What are the regs?? What cars can compete? And will they get enough cars for a full grid, or will they be in with something else??
Old 14 Nov 2000, 12:31 (Ref:48288)   #16
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
Peter
hopefully I'll be getting the Capri out next year. Problem this year has been working in Holland & only having weekends free & spending that with the kids
Old 15 Nov 2000, 13:00 (Ref:48428)   #17
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope to be out in the CSCC Group 1s in UK next year in the RX7.
At present desperately seeking a budget as I have a £15K ($21K) tax bill for Jan01!!!!
Last year let the race budget get seriously out of hand and spent more than 50% of my net income!...and yes I forgot about the IRS in my excitement!

Next year I'm going to show more restraint and try to focus on the endurance races.

Jon Owen has sold his Rover and I expect it to be reappear painted lime green! This car is well sorted and only need a engine freshen and a new ECU to go very well indeed.
Jon will be out in Grp1 in an RX3 he's bought from Dave Nixon.

Regards

IanC
Old 16 Nov 2000, 14:41 (Ref:48607)   #18
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well,
I should be out in the ActiveShop Clio 172 in the TOCA support championship once again...

There has been all sorts of alternative talk though with discussions about taking a Clio V6 into the European Clio Trophy, not least because they have a two rounds supporting the Monaco Grand Prix, but Renault won't confirm this will happen again next year... prize money is good but the cost of trucking the car round Europe is high...

There was also talk of a team in the South African Touring Cars, thought we had the cars and the backers but then they cancelled the Championship.

There was also some talk of a 911 GT3R at Daytona for the 24 Hours, still waiting to hear on that one, might struggle to raise the funds though.

Similarly, discussions about a car for Group B of the UK Touring Cars are stumbling over funds. Can get a car and a team, seem to need £150k though...

So I guess it's a Clio 172 again... which is not exactly a hardship. Could do with more sponsorship (couldn't we all?) as at the moment I seem to be sacrificing a limb a year to race. But another fun season beckons!

RickP
Old 16 Nov 2000, 14:48 (Ref:48609)   #19
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
It’s a funny world isn’t it… I’m scrapping around looking for cash / pennies for my sprint licence, £50 entry fees for events and some K&N’s for my MG Midget… whilst Rick’s looking for the budget to go to Daytona!!!

Same game, different league!!
Old 16 Nov 2000, 14:52 (Ref:48611)   #20
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Dan,
Wasn't meant to read like that, I am lucky that my performances last year have opened a few doors.
Believe me it is still as frustrating, I now have the cars and the races of my dreams offered to drive, but they are still as far out of reach.
I never forget how lucky I am to be able to race at the level I do though.
Cheers
Rick
Old 16 Nov 2000, 14:52 (Ref:48612)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yep,

I'm looking but no success so a year off looms.
Old 16 Nov 2000, 14:57 (Ref:48614)   #22
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
I didn't mean to sound jealous!! You didn't put it across badly - just made me chuckle thinking about it... Everybody should take every chance.

Everyone in the same boat, but on different scales!!

You have to get to Daytona, it would just be simply awesome!
Old 16 Nov 2000, 15:08 (Ref:48615)   #23
apguy
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Suffolk
apguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think financing is a very tricky subject. I'm about to enter my 3rd season of racing and all of it has been personally financed. No sponsors, no rich uncles and no immediate sign of that changing :-( Problem is that it's addictive.

The MSA have recognised that there's a problem in this country - we actually have too much motorsport and not enough paying viewers. Contrast this with the States where even clubman races have free entry and prize funds. Motor racing in this country is prohibitively expensive because we(the competitors) actually fund the race day. Over a 1/3 of my race year budget was made up of race entry fees.
The problem is that if the circuits relied on gate-fees to fund a race day they would never make a profit. Hence the push towards PowerTour/Premier Series where the circuits hope that an action day of racing will pull in the punters.

Old 16 Nov 2000, 15:14 (Ref:48617)   #24
Veteran

England
Zurich
I think you are right about Daytona, the 911 GT3R does over 175mph around the banking though and I'm really not sure my Gonads are big enough. Really like the idea of getting into enduro racing, get so much more value in terms of time in the car for money spent.
The Ultimate Goal is to run the Le Mans 24 Hrs just once and then hang up the helmet and grow up!
Rick
Old 27 Nov 2000, 14:28 (Ref:50011)   #25
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Yelwoci , just incase you didnt know it appears a certain Mr. N.Garratt has bought that Rover you were talking about so it will be re-appearing in the group 1 - and I should think right on the pace.......and my own not so trusty steed(also a Rover-back to the original question) is now back from the workshop , new rocker shaft and sorted propshaft seemingly all ready for , hopefully , more than the single Classic Thunder race I managed this year.