Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 12 Jul 2003, 05:38 (Ref:659360)   #51
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see you Spud! I actually had a pretty good time considering I'm working as well, two days to go and it's onlt going to get hotter. More F1 action today though .
Old 12 Jul 2003, 08:17 (Ref:659415)   #52
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Suzy's point reminds me of my feelings about the latter days of the old Coys Festival. It was great fun but it got too commercial.

I still miss it though, and never having been to the Goodwood Revival, I don't believe there's anything to compare now.
Old 12 Jul 2003, 14:05 (Ref:659546)   #53
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Since it's far too hot for me to go outside today as my complexion took a bit of a hammering, I've been playing around with the pictures I took.

I've uploaded them across several pages to try and help with the loading times.

Friday Goodwood Pictures
Old 12 Jul 2003, 16:07 (Ref:659602)   #54
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
been every year bar one (including the downpour in 97) and for the first time, I went yesterday (Friday). What a change, much quieter, you could get much closer to the cars in the paddock regardless what they were, much better viewing and more like it was in the early days. Ok a few names werent there, but that doesnt bother me, I'm there to look at the cars. Friday for me from now on

(looks much much busier today judging by Motors TV coverage thats currently on)
Old 13 Jul 2003, 00:55 (Ref:659803)   #55
Muz
Rookie

Muz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went today (Saturday) and I have got to say that I was totally dissapointed! After queing for an hour and half, I got into a facility (for £30!) which was so poorly organised it was a complete joke. The F1 teams had tents with a small opening at the front which only approx. 10 people at a time could stand by and see the cars (it should have been 360o, cordened off access). The track is surrounded by completely flat ground and therefore unless you are at the very front you cant see anything (cars or tarmac!!) over the 4ft bails of hay!!

To be honest I cant see why anyone would visit this event more than once, it was a complete (and expensive) let down!!!

Never again!!!!
Old 13 Jul 2003, 21:50 (Ref:660250)   #56
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great pics Spud, that's about the most I've seen despite being 'on site' for 3 days!

Sorry you had a bad experiance Muz, sounds to me like you were expecting a little to much from the event. Your enjoyment of it really depends on what you want to see. If you like the stalls, meeting the drivers, getting closer to the cars than you can pretty much anywhere in the world and, yes, large crowds, then you'll love it. If you want to see them running in the flesh though I can see how you may be disapointed. On the price issue though if you compare it to, say a premier league football match or any other high profile motorsport event, then the 9 hours of track running really does provide great value.
Old 14 Jul 2003, 07:27 (Ref:660479)   #57
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
great photos Spudgun. I saw it on the Telly and although most were going for it I was disappointed in how many slow "demo" runs there were.
Old 14 Jul 2003, 07:41 (Ref:660481)   #58
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Muz
I went today (Saturday) and I have got to say that I was totally dissapointed! After queing for an hour and half, I got into a facility (for £30!) which was so poorly organised it was a complete joke. The F1 teams had tents with a small opening at the front which only approx. 10 people at a time could stand by and see the cars (it should have been 360o, cordened off access). The track is surrounded by completely flat ground and therefore unless you are at the very front you cant see anything (cars or tarmac!!) over the 4ft bails of hay!!
:confused: Did you actually see all of it? Near the top of the hill there is a raised banking where you could have had an excellent view, there were grandstands dotted around, and you had 360 degree NON cordoned off access to nearly every car there. Try getting that close to contemporary F1 at a Grand Prix.

For me, the admission, overnight stay, petrol costs &c were worth it just to see the Trossi-Monaco and hear the Novi.
Old 14 Jul 2003, 08:07 (Ref:660492)   #59
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was there Saturday. Very crowded, the biggest crowd I have seen on the Saturday so far. Excellent value compared to the what (£115?) for the GP where you are miles from the cars, drivers and action. Where else can you see and hear such a diverse collection of cars and bikes? A mouth watering collection.

Each year 'new' famous cars turn up that have never been seen in the UK before or others that have not been here for many years. The GT40 display in front of the house was sensational and surely the tallest themed 'monument' at the event so far?
A lot of the runs are slow demos agreed, but others are very quick.
Anyone know who set BTD on Sunday?
There is so much to see and hard to take it all in with a one day visit. Worth 30 quid? You bet.
Old 14 Jul 2003, 08:54 (Ref:660517)   #60
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by simon drabble
great photos Spudgun. I saw it on the Telly and although most were going for it I was disappointed in how many slow "demo" runs there were.
You were at home watching telly? You should have been at Oulton!
Old 14 Jul 2003, 09:09 (Ref:660525)   #61
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was suprised that Friday seemed busier than Sunday - in the car on the way home my wife asked whether we shouldn't have stayed longer as we'd not had time to watch more than a few runs having spent the day meandering thro the paddocks & trade displays.......
Old 14 Jul 2003, 09:35 (Ref:660537)   #62
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably a bit late to reply suzy, but Goodwood try their best to help disabled visitors. They have special flat areas exclusively for wheelchairs, scooter hire, and disabled car parks near to the entrance. However, they cannot help the terrain, so it will be hard work pushing a wheelchair, although a fairly robust electric wheelchair should be able to cope. They are having the same kind of arranegment for the revival meet if you are thinking of going, but you must contact them in advance if you intend to go. The nearest hotel with good wheelchair facilities that I know of is the Holiday Inn at Guildford, but that is a good 30-40 mins drive away, but their wheelchair accessable rooms are quite good, with wide door ways and wheel in showers. However, they are only really suitbale for an accompanied wheelchair user, a person travelling on their own may find it difficult.
Old 14 Jul 2003, 09:39 (Ref:660540)   #63
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks mcurtis 25. Actually, neither my dad or my brother are wheelchair-bound but they do have problems walking around and up slopes/long distances/rough terrain.

Thanks for the info though - I do know of a couple of disabled people in wheelchairs who would like to go one day. I'll pass on the information - especially if they've got the same arrangement for the Revival.
Old 14 Jul 2003, 10:35 (Ref:660585)   #64
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graeme White Jr did a 42.95 on his 2nd run on the Sunday for BTD. Have to say I very impressed with Ron Huber's 53.95 in the Ford Taurus, I was watching from Pheasantry Grandstand and he was one of the most committed drivers through the corner. Yes, the festival was busy, but I had a brilliant weekend, and everyone I spoke to there seemed to enjoy it. Admittedly if you didn;t have a grandstand sit, your view would have been limited, but there's nowhere else where you could meet so many star drivers close up or see such an array of rare cars.

To me, the star of the show was Petter Sollberg, he put on a great show for the crowd, especially when he had Anthony Davidson in the car with him, and he was always happy to sign autographs, chat, have his photo taken, a true star and a gentlemen. Derek Bell was also excellent as always.