Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Nov 2002, 07:39 (Ref:427550)   #1
Forbesy
Racer

Forbesy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bowe Slams Monaro

In today's Motorsport News, John Bowe has been quoted as saying that the Monaro is hardly a Nations Cup car, and he reckons it'll run away with the race. In particular, he states that components from it bear no resembelance to the road car whatsoever, where as the Ferrari, Porsche etc. do and that is the basis of the category.

I couldn't agree with him more, this car could kill the category, as it is already rumoured that PHR will leave next year, plus this new Carrera Supercup series starting up could take away the already low grids. It'll just turn into rich busissmen playing with their toys, as if it isn't already. I don't think the Nations Cup category is long for this world.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 08:51 (Ref:427591)   #2
rocket
Racer

rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah its just tipical of everybody kissing holdens a$$ & allowing them to do whatever they want.
its a joke that they allow something that modified to compete in the first place
Old 13 Nov 2002, 10:19 (Ref:427639)   #3
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As has been stated many times, Nations Cup is not a Production Car class. The Monaro is within the regulations, even more so now that the HSV 427 is going to be built for the road. What about the Mosler, that is a purpose built sportscar with just the minimum number of road cars, and that car is eligible for Nations Cup from next year.

On the Carrera Cup, from what i'm hearing there is every liklihood this thing won't get started.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 20:57 (Ref:428071)   #4
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually replied to a similar thread to this on the PROCAR forums a few weeks ago.

People, you need to take into account that John Bowe is almost as good at driving as he is at whingeing.

Acheiving parity for the Nations Cup Series would be a heck of a lot easier if Bowe stopped his spoilt brat routine at the end of every race he loses and just admits he wasn't good enough on the day in question.

Don't get me wrong - I do think it is unfair and rather underhanded that the Monaro will be entered into the 24 Hour without anybody knowing it's abilities after it was promised it would be available for the Indy races.

I think we all just need to remember that anything John Bowe says in regards to the performance of his compeititors needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 22:24 (Ref:428136)   #5
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holden did not make the rules, they simply looked at them, submitted a specification which was approved, they then built the car and will race it.

Like it or not, they simply did their homework and exploited the situation. Nothing that any clever business person wouldn't do.

Anyway, what is Nations Cup really? Lets face it the Monaro is probably not worth any more than those Lambo's or Ferrari's, and at the end of the day all of the cars are fiddled with to some extent. Holden have just fiddled a little (lot, but still legal) more with theirs.

Last edited by Dazz; 13 Nov 2002 at 22:27.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 22:40 (Ref:428162)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When Ford put the Mustang in GTP everyone kicked up a Monaro like stink. There is little doubt that the Nations Cup will be on the verge of having the arse fall out of it next year. Many of the Porsche (and non Porsche) competitors will be moving into the Carrera Cup, and even the Lambo team seemed to have whinged for the last time.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 22:50 (Ref:428173)   #7
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh well, nothing like a bit of pressure at Bathurst. If the "Monaro" doesn't win, who's going to look pretty stupid on Monday morning? Big risk for Holden, unproven car, max PR hype. Good luck...

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 13 Nov 2002, 22:59 (Ref:428179)   #8
Dazz
Veteran

The publicity they get will be well worth it either way.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 23:24 (Ref:428188)   #9
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Couldn't agree more with Bowie. I'm ****ed off at the Monaro. How would Holden like it if PHR chucked the engine from the Enzo in one of their 360s?

I really hope the Monaro doesn't win.

Last edited by mac; 13 Nov 2002 at 23:24.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 23:31 (Ref:428191)   #10
Dazz
Veteran

I'm sure there is nothing really stopping PHR racing an Enzo in Nations Cup if they wanted to. It's just a small matter of about A$2 million

In all honesty, I don't think the Enzo is really a good 24-hour proposition anyway.

I do take your point though, it is in some ways a little unfair, but ......
Old 13 Nov 2002, 23:42 (Ref:428198)   #11
Beejay17
Racer

Beejay17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to see a Bathurst 24-Hour, you'd better go this year. If I were Ferrari, Lamborghini or Porsche, I'd be getting my cars out of this class as soon as possible. They're on a hiding-to-nothing.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 05:07 (Ref:428268)   #12
Rhys_00
Racer

Rhys_00 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, thats why im goin this year, I want to see Holden rock up, win, and never go back. "Game Over" ring a bell from the early CV8 monaro ads?
Old 14 Nov 2002, 05:28 (Ref:428271)   #13
rocket
Racer

rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well the lambo team has pulled out thanks to the monaro
as for it being compared to the other cars im pretty sure that they ARE NOT tubbed to fit extra large rear tyres their engines are certinaly not something that is NOT available in the car. i know its not a production car class but even the porsche, ferrari & lambo are not modified to the extent of the monaro
Old 14 Nov 2002, 05:56 (Ref:428282)   #14
Dazz
Veteran

I don't think the Lambo or the Vipers had any real intention of running to be perfectly honest, and are simply using the Monaro as an excuse.

That LS1 powered thing from England should scare them more than the Monaro, but nothing was said about it was there?

I'm not defending the Monaro as such, because I think it has pushed the rules a little too far, but lets be honest, they were gong to let the Japanese GT cars race which are no less modified than the Monaro.

I think it is all simply rich little boys whinging about racing cars which most of us mere mortals would give our right, ummmm, arm to have a steer in.

If you look at it from a pure dollars and cents point of view, I think it all looks pretty even to me.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 10:33 (Ref:428380)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The race i don't believe was originally meant to be intended as Nations Cup cars would be the outright cars. That's why N-GT, GT500 and so on where allowed in, the get a good overseas entry.

Give the event this year, honestly i only expected an entry of around the 40 mark anyway it was announced so late. It's not a bad line-up anyway, i think the Mosler could be faster than the Monaro actually, that is a purpose built Sportscar.

As for Nations Cup, The Monaro will definatly get parity adjustments, wasn't someone lining up a TVR Chimera for next year, plus i read elsewhere that Geoff Morgan is close to getting factory backing for a new Viper. It's got promise, lets just hope it is realised.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 01:24 (Ref:428912)   #16
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As well as the Maserati Trofeo (which I can't wait for). They are doing some demo runs for that at the mountain this weekend.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 02:09 (Ref:428919)   #17
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is Morgan going to run a Viper and a Porsche?
Old 15 Nov 2002, 03:07 (Ref:428931)   #18
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No.
Old 16 Nov 2002, 10:26 (Ref:429818)   #19
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monaro = 5.?L Chevrolet V8 with six speed gearbox.

So why are they allowed to have a 7 litre V8? Anyone REALLY know the answer?

Is it because Corvette Racing run a 7litre Chev Corvette in the ALMS? If so the Corvette is in GTS and races above the Porsche and Ferrari 360 category, not with them?

Is it because the Callaway C12 has a 7litre V8, possibly.
But the C12 is restricted to around 365kW(490Hp) & 520Nm.

So why does the Monarort have 600+Bhp and way more than 650Nm torque?
Any bright sparks know the answer?

Or are Holden engineers and team members so much smarter than every body else? Yes that must be it.....

PS. For those of you who obviously think the Mosler appeared out of nowhere and is some "Sportscar" (??), the company has been around for ages and they've made a number of racing efforts, this is really their first dedicated road car. It currently races in the ALMS and JGTC (against Porsche GT3-RS and Ferrari 360, Toyota MR-S and Nissan Silvia.)
Old 16 Nov 2002, 12:16 (Ref:429871)   #20
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I received an email tonioght, that Holden are in fact going to build 50 7 litre Monaros in order to gain eligibility for the Nation's Cup. The car will be called the HRT 427. It will have the Chev 427 from the Calloway Corvette and a 6 speed gearbox with sequential shifter. A roll cage and massive racing brakes will be standard. The car will sell for $200 000. I've seen pictures and OMG I want one!
Old 17 Nov 2002, 00:08 (Ref:430205)   #21
mac
Veteran

$200,000!!!!

I'll take a Maserati Coupe thankyou.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 00:59 (Ref:430240)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Pity Ford won't match Holden with a similar monster.
Old 17 Nov 2002, 01:57 (Ref:430280)   #23
smokinJ
Racer

smokinJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the farrari had a spec race motor and shueys engineer
but Bowe through that out the window by over revving it
i wonder if PHR are still keen on retaining him

a mates dad who allready has a Monaro is thinking about getting a 427 if his wife will let him
and he didnt even know the race was on
this may be the clincher
Old 17 Nov 2002, 02:31 (Ref:430286)   #24
smokinJ
Racer

smokinJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
750 k for the PHR donk
Old 17 Nov 2002, 03:07 (Ref:430299)   #25
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yeah Dave I want one tooooo

thanks for the email it looks awesome.