Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 26 Feb 2013, 02:06 (Ref:3210920)   #701
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm planning to hook my steering wheel to the computer and do a more decent lap video sometime in the near future.

bio
Old 26 Feb 2013, 02:07 (Ref:3210922)   #702
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Beetle, thank you too, pal!

bio
Old 27 Feb 2013, 18:19 (Ref:3211761)   #703
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Right now i have one more track to show here - but it's only partially ready. It's a street circuit of an imaginery city, and the trackline is ready, but the track is only partially "dressed", so the lap vid in the track's present state wouldn't look to nice. What do you say, should I post it in it's partially ready form or wait until it's finished enough)?

Hint: I've kind of abandoned working on the track and have no idea when I'll resume - may be tomorrow, may be never

bio
Old 28 Feb 2013, 14:04 (Ref:3212286)   #704
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great views indeed. Thank you for posting them.
Old 28 Feb 2013, 17:51 (Ref:3212347)   #705
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Thanks, mate!

bio
Old 28 Feb 2013, 17:53 (Ref:3212349)   #706
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Great news, BTW - Totally coincidental timing, but I've finally managed to hack my way back into my old PC's hard disk enough to get my contents copied. This means I will probably once again have my good old Ocad, so i can make decent track graphics once again, plus I'll get my BTB tracks back - the ones I haven't shown here yet.

bio
Old 28 Feb 2013, 18:15 (Ref:3212352)   #707
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Now that I have some of my old staff back, I guess I'll have no immediate time to work on my current street circuit project I mentioned yesterday, so, want ir or not, here it comes

The venue is Silver city:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Silver City trackline.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	391.1 KB
ID:	39449

SilverCity is a totally imaginery settlement (as usual from me). It's a metropolis by a large lake or preferably a sea/ocen. The track partailly runs by the beach: the "hole" in the bottom is a small bay, the track runs around it in that section. There's an even smaller inlet at the triangular part on the bottom right (see the video, where the bridge indicates where the track crosses it.

I'm planning to make a more decent, Ocad track map.

There's an aerial view image, but it quite clearly shows the painfully unfinished state the track is in:

Name:	Silver City aerial.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	856.2 KB
ID:	39450

The track itself is 6203 m (3.88 miles) long and runs anti. The S/F "straight" is the long, gently curving, vertical one on the left. In lieu of a deeper description see the a lap video - but, once again, be warned: the track is half fininshed, most of the trackside isn't furnished yet.

Enjoy.

bio
Old 28 Feb 2013, 22:52 (Ref:3212440)   #708
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
Great news, BTW - Totally coincidental timing, but I've finally managed to hack my way back into my old PC's hard disk enough to get my contents copied. This means I will probably once again have my good old Ocad, so i can make decent track graphics once again, plus I'll get my BTB tracks back - the ones I haven't shown here yet.

bio
Old 1 Apr 2013, 19:45 (Ref:3227701)   #709
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Here's one of my older tracks I got back from my old computer. It's near an imaginery Spanish town called Cazares.

Name:	Cazares overview.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	39673

the track is 6,072 m (3.795 miles) long and runs counter-clockwise. The track is flat around the paddocks area and runs up a hill at the two "arms" parts.

Name:	Cazares map.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	39674

Here's a wiki-style map with the turn numbers for discussion. I know that everyone's gonna argue about T10 being too close to T13 and thus not having ample runoff - but hey.

Name:	Cazares wiki.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	39675

Finally, three lap videos:

The cockpit view;

a helicopter chase cam view that makes the corners more understandable;

and a TV cam view that makes the overall track more comprehensible.

I realized there's no reason not to include sound for the videos, so there.

bio

Last edited by bio; 1 Apr 2013 at 19:52.
Old 1 Apr 2013, 22:54 (Ref:3227789)   #710
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wish that Sketch up files could be dropped into that software as a circuit layout.

I'd love to see representations of some of my designs this way.

Great work.

The TV Cams view shows that there is plenty space at T10
Old 2 Apr 2013, 01:09 (Ref:3227825)   #711
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Thx, mate

Maybe you'll find this worth to read: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/...-to-btb.39126/

bio
Old 2 Apr 2013, 12:39 (Ref:3227991)   #712
fintard96
Rookie

Scotland
Aberdeen
fintard96 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow!
loved the track and video. It really helped me to see what silver city was like. The last sector was great, cool elevation changes. However, the first sector I felt was just right hand kinks and was quite boring. One smooth right hander might be better. The first chicane was good, reminded me of the final chicane an circuit giles Villeneuve.

overall - awesome
Old 2 Apr 2013, 12:41 (Ref:3227992)   #713
fintard96
Rookie

Scotland
Aberdeen
fintard96 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cazares reminds me of jacarepagua
Old 2 Apr 2013, 13:21 (Ref:3228007)   #714
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another level of awsomeness has been reached. Your presentation, the level of detail, the landscape are all staggering. I've never seen anything close to this on this board.

And the track itself is nice aswell. With trying I could find a few flaws though.

Tracklayout: Not megaexiting, but there are a few nice corners to test the drivers (1-2 combo, the chicane and the last corners to be precize) There also seem to be a few quite decent overtakingsports.

Spectatorviews: I'm sure you have put the bridge just after the corner where ther are 2 stands, blocking the sight on the second corner for the spectators, just to get my reaction ;-) To be honest, I don't see a much better place for a brigde anywhere. Maybe a tunnel just before the first turn would be the best solution.

Safety: I see an issue in turn 9. Motorcyclists will be killed on that corner. Cardrivers might have a shot at not getting hurt because of the angle of that wall, but also can sustain a lot of damage. Never mind what could happen if the car bounced back on the racingline after hitting the wall.
Also the runoff at the last turn is a bit to small. Especially at the exit, the outer wall turns to the track to fast and with an angle that is to sharp. Getting it wrong at the exit could cause an head on accident at considerable speed.
Old 2 Apr 2013, 14:07 (Ref:3228031)   #715
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Thx folks!

bio
Old 2 Apr 2013, 14:20 (Ref:3228034)   #716
bio
Veteran

Hungary
fintard,
the overall shape does, indeed look like Jacarepagua did before it was torn down - but, as far as I can judge it from video game experience - it's quite a different track to drive

Werner, might be strange, but I tend to agree that this track is a bit on the boring side - probably because it has lots of straight sections connected by short turns (like the first section you mentioned). That's exactly why I put it in Spain: many of the tracks there seem to be like that: lots of straight, connected with short turns, with one or two longer turns maybe. TBH, I'm not a huge fan of Spanish tracks They look appealing, but not much fun to race (judged from video game experience, of course). This track is similar: not the biggest fun to race - I guess I'm the best judge of that

As for T9, TBH i never thought of it as an especially dangerous turn - but if a biker falls there, there could be problem, indeed. Maybe removing the stands there and putting a gravel pit instead would be wise.

As for the bridge blocking view at t2 - believe me it doesn't really block a lot of view - surely not so much that it would warrant removing the bridge from the most logical spot anyways.

bio
Old 3 Apr 2013, 08:13 (Ref:3228396)   #717
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, that cockpit view of Cazares is amazing. This is like THE dream of any aspiring circuit designer. How long did it take you to create it for the sim software?
Old 3 Apr 2013, 10:54 (Ref:3228480)   #718
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Wow, that cockpit view of Cazares is amazing. This is like THE dream of any aspiring circuit designer. How long did it take you to create it for the sim software?
For this state you see here (tweaked a bit since then), it took about half a year - but the "net" working time was about a week? Really don't know, it took a lot of sessions, but those sessions were usually not too long - usually from the "in-between-work-sessions half hours-hours" kind.

bio
Old 22 Apr 2013, 10:20 (Ref:3237802)   #719
F1 lobby
Rookie

Netherlands
F1 lobby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks nice Bio you're a pro! But personally I am not a fan of a lot of straigths, it has a lot of comparisments with the Tilke designed tracks which I really don't like. Why are all those designs approved without a survey among the world championship drivers themselfs?? I am just a simple amateur motor racer but I know what are challenging and nerve wrecking turns, some of them have it all like Spa and Suzuka, these are real balls of steel race tracks! Another example: Tilkes newest track Circuit of Americas, yesterday's MotoGP race. The track consists of a whooping 5 first gear corners, that's not nice anymore. More likely another Formula 1 track, a stop and go track, as far as my opinion, won't do for ultimate racing. You don't need several long straights ending up in first gear corners/hairpins to overtake. In 3th to 5th gear corners it's just the bravest driver who can overtake, even mid corner. Therefore your turns 6, 9, 11 and 15 are my favorites.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 18:41 (Ref:3238044)   #720
bio
Veteran

Hungary
First of all, thanks for the compliments

As for a lot of straights... after all, if you ask a 100 people what motor racing is about, I guess most will mention speed first. And what's better for speed than long straights?

Of course, that's only one point of view, however, not "The Truth". Twistier, curvier technical sections offer just as much.

bio
Old 9 Jul 2013, 13:02 (Ref:3275885)   #721
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Nostalgia has taken me lately - I've revisited quite some of my old designs to see how I see them now. Well, to cut a long story short, it led to a massive scale redesign project where i took some of my old tracks and made edits to them. The one that emerged as a kind of lead project was the track I made a few years back was the one I put in Brazil, near the town of Belém:

Name:	belém old.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	40532

As it might be apparent, the track had a little history, starting out as a kinda oval wit banked corners, the infield sections built in later.

Revisited, I made quite major changes: besides reversing the track direction, I redesigned the infield section, took the Northern paddocks as the main one, put the S/F straight there and, as the most obvious modification, I had a completely new section (let's call it "The Southern Snake" for easy identification ) outside the oval:

Name:	Belém new.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	40533

The track is 6.983 km (4.36 miles) long and now runs counter-clockwise. The track is mostly flat with small altitude variation, except the part around the lake which is everything but flat, plus the tightish right turn leading up to the old S/F line, now back straight. The final corner - the long sweeping left turn, being one of the three corners of the oval (which is, BTW, still in use), is banked and has no gravel trap, but the usual concrete wall you'd expect for ovals (with quite some tarmac runoff).

BTB isn't the best for demonstration screenshots, but here's one:

Name:	Belém new aerial.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	857.4 KB
ID:	40534

A lap video will shortly follow (today or tomorrow the latest, hopefully), that'll the altitude variations.

bio

Last edited by bio; 9 Jul 2013 at 13:10.
Old 9 Jul 2013, 16:38 (Ref:3275962)   #722
bio
Veteran

Hungary
(Videos later)

bio

Last edited by bio; 9 Jul 2013 at 16:44.
Old 9 Jul 2013, 18:13 (Ref:3275994)   #723
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
(Videos later)

bio
I expect nothing less, bio.

That's an amazing track. Did you do the top view with Bob's Track Builder?
Old 9 Jul 2013, 18:32 (Ref:3276005)   #724
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
That's an amazing track. Did you do the top view with Bob's Track Builder?
Yep. That's why it's so... mediocre.

bio
Old 9 Jul 2013, 20:48 (Ref:3276049)   #725
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very nice!

I like the way that the "southern snake" looks like it was added on at a later date, to extend the road-course length.

Looks great in bobs track builder too, if a little grainy I look forward to the video.